Drop In For Maglite 2D - Critique My Choice Please

fade2black

Newly Enlightened
This is a great forum that has sparked my interest in dropping in an LED into my Maglite.

The drop in choices for a 2D Maglite seem quite limited:

1. Tektite LPR-2: 1.6 Watt Luxeon LED
Review:http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/tektite_lpr-3.htm
Cost: $25

2. TerraLux MaxStar2: 2 x 1 Watt Jupiter LEDs
Review:http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/terralux_tle-6n.htm
Cost: $36

3. Diamond DB-1W-D: 1 Watt Luxeon LED
Review:http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/diamond_magbulbs.htm
Cost: $30

My LED wants are:
1. Brighter light than incandescent.
2. Longer battery life than incandescent.
3. Constant light output by use of driver.

Tektite does not seem to cut the mustard because it seems to have lower light output than incandescent as per the review.

The TerraLux is a decent choice. It has slightly lower output compared to the Diamond (25 vs. 28.7), and a slightly higher price ($36 vs. $30).

I'm leaning towards the Diamond DB-1W-D.

Please offer your suggestions/comments/experiences.

My wife thinks that spending $30 for a bulb replacement is foolish, so any help in making the right choice is appreciated :)

greenLED

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF!
You might want to check out the everLED too. They can be used in lights ranging from 1-6 cells. If you drop it in lights with 3 cells or less, it'll be brighter than the stock bulb. You won't see much difference in brightness (or the everLED will be dimmer) in 4+ celled lights. However, your runtime will increeeeeeease. :)

This is Quickbeam's review of the everLED.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Left, M*glite 2D, DB-1W. Right, M*glite 3D, DB-3W at 14"

dsc011818cm.jpg

Left, M*glite 2D, DB-1W. Right, M*glite 3D, DB-3W at 84"

dsc011804zv.jpg

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

------------------------------------------------------------------------

The M*glite 2D, DB-1W, has a green tint to the beam. I also get a slight doughnut hole to the beam at a distance. It's hard to see the doughtnut hole in the picture.

The M*glite 3D, DB-3W has a nice white tint to the beam.

not2bright

Enlightened
fade2black,

The beam pattern on the 2 Jupiter is just odd and cannot be focused tightly. If you won't need a spot beam at all this may work.

The Tektite can be focused more tightly than the Jupiter, but has considerably less output than the Diamond (1300 vs. 4500 Lux). The advantage over the Diamond is that it can be used in any light that uses a LPR bulb. You could pull it out and use it in a lantern that uses a LPR bulb.

If you know you will only be using it in a Mag (which is a pretty good host) then the Diamond DB-1W might be the best choice.

I wish my DB-3W was regulated, otherwise it is a great product. I am thinking of ordering a DB-1W-D for a 2D I have laying around. On the other hand, after only 2 months on this site I starting to get more lights than I know what to do with. Also my power company is way too reliable.

ernsanada, how much brighter do you think the DB-3W is? I also noticed that the 3W Luxs seem to be more on the light purple side than the 1W. Both my DB-3W and PM6 3W seem to be like your beam shots show.

Last edited:

C4LED

Enlightened
greenLED said:
Welcome to CPF!
You might want to check out the everLED too. They can be used in lights ranging from 1-6 cells. If you drop it in lights with 3 cells or less, it'll be brighter than the stock bulb. You won't see much difference in brightness (or the everLED will be dimmer) in 4+ celled lights. However, your runtime will increeeeeeease. :)

This is Quickbeam's review of the everLED.

2nd this suggestion.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
not2bright,

At a distance the DB-3W has a tighter beam and more throw than the DB-1W.

I also has an LPR-2 in my 2D Maglite. The beam tint was similar to the DB-1W, green. The reason I switched to the DB-1W was because I was hoping the tint would be more white like the DB-3W's.

I also have a DB-3W in a M*glite 3C. The tint is very white.

fade2black

Newly Enlightened
greenLED, thanks for the everLED link. I will read up on it.

ersanada, awesome photos! This is the first DB-1W output photos I've seen. Thanks.

not2bright, I agree with you on the Jupiter and the Tektite. A regulated DB-1W is looking good now. I am reading up on the everLED as well.

Any DB-1W vs. everLED comparos?

not2bright

Enlightened
Seems that the DB-1W-D has a much greater throw (67.8 vs. 23.5 standardized) and greater total output.

On the other hand the EverLed can be used in any LPR device.

dougmccoy

Enlightened
I've got an Everled in my 2D Mag and in a 2C Mag (using 2 x C123's and a spacer). In both cases the Mags are now excellent utility lights and produce white, crisp light which has made the venerable Mags so much more useful.
I do find that the 2C Mag is particularly pleasing due to the light weight and improved runtime which would make it an excellent utility light for someone in EMS who may need a small flood type light as opposed to throw.

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the everLED too. Good brightness, and the fact that you can swap it into other lights makes it a real winner. I've even tried it in one of those cheap $2 Eveready 2D lights, and it even improves the beam and brightness on one of those. It's kind of fun to play around with everLEDs in different lights.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I have an Everled High Dome in a 2D M*g with 3C in it. It makes a decent spot with decent spill....

It is TOTALLY ECLIPSED by the Dorcy Super 1W 3D I got for $21.99 in Tint, Brightness and Spill.

It's only about 1 5/8" longer and barely any heavier.

With lights like this available turnkey, it doesn't seem quite as worthwhile to spend $25 plus on upgrades.

C4LED

Enlightened
PlayboyJoeShmoe said:
I have an Everled High Dome in a 2D M*g with 3C in it. It makes a decent spot with decent spill....

It is TOTALLY ECLIPSED by the Dorcy Super 1W 3D I got for $21.99 in Tint, Brightness and Spill.

It's only about 1 5/8" longer and barely any heavier.

With lights like this available turnkey, it doesn't seem quite as worthwhile to spend $25 plus on upgrades.

PlayboyJoeShmoe, ever try the Everled in a 3D M@g - how would that compare to the Dorcy, or to a 1W Diamond dropin? Dorcy 1W sounds pretty good - maybe not as tough in construction though.