NOPD Confiscating Legal Arms

BugOutGear_USA

Enlightened
NOPD and Military are going around confiscating weapons from citizens trying to protect their homes from looters. What is this country coming to? I'm not an attorney, but I would think this violates the very spirit of the 2nd amendment. What do you guys think?

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that there is a mandatory (For EVERYONE, even if they don't want to go) evacuation order in place. So in a manner of speaking those in power have confiscated EVERYTHING.

2dim

Enlightened
A little taste of Canada, eh? Toronto solution to increased gun violence, mostly gang related: police blitz on gunstores to enforce storage regs, etc. Searching young black guys, at police discretion, was ruled a definite no-no of course...Random searches of registered gun owners' homes appears to be the next step, along with a total ban on ALL handguns. Oh, and building still more basketball courts...

Last edited:

TorchMan

Enlightened
Maybe one reason they are confiscating guns is that they are going to force people out, and want to take them first? As to legality, I remember McDonald's lost a lawsuit over coffee a woman spilled in her lap? Seems it was too hot compared to other companies that served coffee?

Since the disaster is a platform for groups to attack for their issues over, you can bet the anti-gunners will be out in full force over this eventually, saying how unsafe it was and hampered rescue efforts, etc.

So now Canada seems to be following Australia? One by one they fall. And they say it can't happen here... :sigh:

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very troubling.

One of my most vivid memories of the Rodney King riots was pictures of the aftermath. Many stores looted and burned. Several stood out in their midst looking untouched. We finally learned that these belonged to store owners who took their legally owned firearms, primarily sporting long arms, to the roofs and said, in essence, "you loot, we shoot". The criminals chose other places to vent their displeasure.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
well blame it on the morons who shoot at the helocopters ,i know this is bordd bush but its that crazy down there.keep guns away from idiots and thiefs

cy

Flashaholic
powernoodle said:
There is no legal basis either for the confiscation of firearms or for the forced evacuation.

best regards

thanks PW..

lymph

Enlightened
I think it's awful and illegal.

It's also classist because they're still allowing private security guards to carry guns. So if you're rich, you can hire someone to protect you and your family. Poor people don't have that option.

Doubt we'll hear the usual race-card playing political opportunists chime in on this one, though.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i blerive people should be able to own a gun.but i hope ya all know guns are not the best home protection.dog is number 1 it alerts you at least and usaly the thug will leave

AJ_Dual

Enlightened
A. I'm so glad I live in Wisconsin. All we have to worry about is nuclear war, the Yellowstone supervolcano, asteroid/comet impact, tornadoes, and global plauge. At least we're not below sea level, and it would take that asteroid making a hit right on Lake Michigan to push it up onto land.

B. I sympathize with the police, I guess it's possible that armed looters/bandits/rapists could be turning around and stating "I'm defending" as soon as they come into contact with law enforcment. However, that's not sufficient reason to engage in unlawful seizures.

C. I agree. It's just not right. The individual armed shop or homeowner probably just seems like another uncontroled variable to the police and NG in what is already unending chaos, but there is no "unending chaos" clause in the Consitution or the Second Ammendment, at least as I've read them.

Frankly, the armed and prepared people, especialy those on dry ground at the fringes of the NOLA flood should be a bonus to the LEO/NG presence. These are one less victim they need worry about, IMO. Just give them clear "rules of engagment", spell out the consequences if they "go Rambo" or "Dirty Harry", and let them be. However, authority by it's nature allways tries to grow to a maximum. Interestingly enough, that single axiom and the attempt to limit such authority is the core basis for our entire system of government, our constitution, and separation of powers in the U.S.

Unfortunately, it allways seems to erode somewhere just a little each day...

Last edited:

Makarov

Enlightened
BIGIRON said:
One of my most vivid memories of the Rodney King riots was pictures of the aftermath. Many stores looted and burned. Several stood out in their midst looking untouched. We finally learned that these belonged to store owners who took their legally owned firearms, primarily sporting long arms, to the roofs and said, in essence, "you loot, we shoot". The criminals chose other places to vent their displeasure.
Actually the riots in LA was the first thing I tought about when I read about the looting in NO.
I remember scenes with storeowners standing on the roofs of their shops with AR's an AK's while the crowd was rioting in the streets. Even if I was young at the time this gave me something to think about.
I don't really understand why people throw away ALL sense of law and order only 24hrs after a event, but I see that those trying to keep things together want to have the security of their own firearm. As I understand it, a lot of people doesn't have an insurance that will cover damages from Katrina, so it's understanable that they want to protect what they got left.

I don't think that the strong presence of (heavily)armed PD and Army is enough for the citizens to feel safe, as long as they keep operating like they are occupation forces, and not rescueworkers.

This was posted on DirectNIC.com on sunday the 4:
Law enforcement have absolutely lost their minds. Some guy wearing khaki fatigues and black vests which say Police on them have their faces covered in black ski masks and are touting M4-A1s with front hand grips -- like they're some kind of Delta Force operators waiting to hit the tire house. They're guarding the four corners around the Bell South building for crying out loud. And what, they need secret identities? Come on. You can just tell some of these guys have never gotten out before. Now's their big chance to play Army.
Kinda scary, as this tells me that (some) PD want to distance themselves from victims instead of helping them.

Last edited:

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
What makes me shake my head is that people are still surprised at these sorts of behaviors. READ SOME HISTORY BOOKS!

frome Rome to the French Revolution to today people have responded in similar fashions over and over (okay then it was throwing rocks and now it's firearms). The reactions of the individual are nearly impossible to predict but group (mob?) mentality is usually fairly easy.

turbodog

Flashaholic
raggie33 said:
i blerive people should be able to own a gun.but i hope ya all know guns are not the best home protection.dog is number 1 it alerts you at least and usaly the thug will leave

Good point.

But I'd like to add that this has moved from home PROTECTION/PREVENTION to home DEFENSE.

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/08/national/nationalspecial/08cnd-storm.html

NEW ORLEANS, Sept. 8 - Waters were receding across this flood-beaten city today as police officers began confiscating weapons, including legally registered firearms, from civilians in preparation for a mass forced evacuation of the residents still living here.
No civilians in New Orleans will be allowed to carry pistols, shotguns or other firearms, said P. Edwin Compass III, the superintendent of police. "Only law enforcement are allowed to have weapons," he said.

But that order apparently does not apply to hundreds of security guards hired by businesses and some wealthy individuals to protect property. The guards, employees of private security companies like Blackwater, openly carry M-16's and other assault rifles. Mr. Compass said that he was aware of the private guards, but that the police had no plans to make them give up their weapons. .....

http://www.iht.com/articles/2005/09/09/news/katrina.php
Police officers and federal law enforcement agents scoured the city carrying assault rifles seeking residents who have holed up to avoid forcible eviction....."Individuals are at risk of dying," said P. Edwin Compass III, the superintendent of the New Orleans police. "There's nothing more important than the preservation of human life." [emphasis mine]

"We are from the Goverment we are here to help you."

wmpwi

Enlightened
Without getting too much into the fray, I would think that everyone, particularly those bordering all that water (like Wisconsin) would be a bit worried if and when someone takes a nuclear sh*t in the worlds largest freshwater supply. Regardless of the form of contamination, if the Great Lakes were made toxic, it would have staggering ramifications. That said, the only other thing of which I am reasonably certain is that when all this Katrina stuff is done, the lawyers will do just fine. But that's just my opinion.

AJ_Dual said:
A. I'm so glad I live in Wisconsin. All we have to worry about is nuclear war, the Yellowstone supervolcano, asteroid/comet impact, tornadoes, and global plauge. At least we're not below sea level, and it would take that asteroid making a hit right on Lake Michigan to push it up onto land.
<snip>

Makarov

Enlightened
zespectre said:
frome Rome to the French Revolution to today people have responded in similar fashions over and over (okay then it was throwing rocks and now it's firearms). The reactions of the individual are nearly impossible to predict but group (mob?) mentality is usually fairly easy.
I see your point about mobmentality, but we are talking about a natural catastrophe here, not a revolution. Civil unrest(riots etc) usually comes after some dissatisfaction with the government.

My apologies for hijacking the tread :)

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is illegal, and immoral on both grounds. First the police, or the government cannot force evict, or evacuate you unless you are in immediate threat of death. To do so would constitutionally require a court order which is a lenghty process at best. Those that are in good health, and have the means to live cannot be forcebally evacuated under the whim of the police, mayor, or governor. Even under federal law. Also to take your firearms without an investigation, or court order is illegal under the constitution.
However 2 points need to be made here. They are going to do it, and they are going to get away with it. Why? 2 reasons. First the media. They show the nuts attacking helicopters with guns, and the idiots trying to take a bridge. They don't show the people using firearms to protect their homes, lives, and property. Second, so many people have become afraid of the government, and the LEO community has become so adept at convincing people they have no other choice. There is going to be a lot of fallout over this, and history has shown us that most of it will not be good.