New (sort of) which SF?

22HERTZ

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
Im sort of new (been lurking for about a year) and finally decided to join and post something :grin2:

I recently bought a Dorcy metal gear 1W Luxeon and am quite pleased with its performance and color output, so I have decided to EDC it as my normal close-up use light, however I need to get two other lights for EDC.

First I need suggestions for an incadecant light with enough light to temporarily blind someone in a pinch, and can reach out a bit for longer distances than my Dorcy can. I have $150 I can spend for this light, and would prefer it use CR123s since I plan to not use this light very often, and would like the shelf life of the 123s.
I was thinking about the SF 9P...would this be a good light?

Second I would like an opinion on keychain lights. My brother has a Princeton tec Eclipse and I am impressed, but I need some opinions of other keychain lights that may be better.

By the way, the members here make this the best internet site hands down and I am proud to be able to post here and gain wisdom from all of you.
:thanks:

Eagle1

Newly Enlightened
First off, welcome to the forums.

Speaking of the 9P, this is an excellent light as all of the 3 battery lights are extremely good at what you are looking for. Another option is a 2 battery version, 6P,Z2,C2,M2,G2,G2Z etc and using a P61 bulb which gives you a 120 lumen lamp and 20 minutes of run time in a smaller more carry friendly light.

The 9P gives you 105 lumens, and the P61 (in the 2 battery lights) gives you 120 lumens. The standard P60, which comes in the 2 battery lights (except the E series) gives you 60 lumens. Batteries are so cheap, the 123's is the way to go I think. Good luck in your choice, and welcome to your new nightmare!

WDR65

Enlightened
You might want to look at the Streamlight TL-3, as bright as the 9P with the 105 lumen lamp and maybe a bit brighter, pocket clip and it throws quite a bit farther than the 9P. It also is shorter than the Surefire 3 cell lights. I own two C3's which is essentially a 9P with a pocket clip and combatgrip and I use one with the high output lamp the P91, very bright for short periods yet not quite as pocketable as the TL-3. Also TL-3 bulbs are quite a bit less than Surefire bulbs and there is a spare in the body so if you drop it and break the bulb you're not stuck without a backup option close at hand.
If you're interested in modularity then the Surefire's are the way to go though. The Led head options and the Turbohead options can come in handy. So it just depends on what kind of options you might want. I use them all, but each has a different purpose for me. The C3 with the high output lamp sits beside my bed near my shotgun just in case, while the TL-3 stays in my truck as an all around/defensive light. The other C3 with the KL-3 goes everywhere as it seem to keep going and going on the first set of batteries I've had in it.
Good luck with whatever you choose. Sorry I can't help with they keychain lights, but I'm sure someone on here will be able to.

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
22Hertz- Welcome to CPF!!
The 9P would be an excellent light, but are you planning to carry it every day(EDC it)?? If so I would also recommend a 2 battery light. They are easier to carry.
Good luck and let us know what ya decide upon.

Last edited:

22HERTZ

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies.

I plan to carry this light everywhere except at work where the Dorcy serves all my purposes well.

I thought about the e2e and was looking at the G2 as well, but wasnt sure if they we viable options compared to the 9p and its 3 battery setup.

I think I could carry the 9p in a belt sheath with no problem, so Im not worried about that, but an e2e or even a G2 would be easier to carry in a pocket.

What are the pros/cons of each light? I had been looking at an e2e for a while until I read a thread about a week ago where someone asked about the e2e and 9p and most recommended the 9p.

lexina

Enlightened
If you can't decide between a 2-cell and a 3-cell light, you can have the best of both worlds by taking advantage of the modularity of SF lights by getting a 6P and an A19 1-cell extender (which would effectively convert the 6P into a 9P). You could then carry either a 2-cell (with P60/61 bub) or 3-cell light (with P90/91 bulb) depending on your needs. Your light output would range from 65 lumens to 200 lumens.

22HERTZ

Newly Enlightened
If I go three cell I think it will be between the 9P and the TL-3. The ultra stinger looks interesting as well.

I still want an E2e as well :)
Well I better be off to go work some overtime...looks like Ill need the extra cash.

Thanks for the replies.

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
I have a 9P and an E2E. I have the 200 lumen P91 lamp assembly in it. Both are fantastic lights, the E2E is definately easier to carry in a pocket.

Yesterday I got Pila rechargeable batteries for the 9P and a KL4 led head for the E2E. Both are great add ons. With rechargeables I am not going to worry about how much I use the 9P. I was using it to zoom in on areas of the grill last night while I was cooking. Had a headlamp too, but nothing like 200 lumens to see the steak ;) The output from the E2E with KL4 seems about the same as with the original, although I know it is a bit more. But it wont burn out and can use rechargeables with it as well.

For about $150 you can about get a 9P, Pilas and a charger. I would highly recomment that route. You can get the P91 lamp later. There is a lot to be said about the flexibility/interchangeability of the Surefire product line.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
You need to consider the A2 which is just a tiny bit bigger than the E2e (half an inch and one ounce), same weight as the G2. Probably same length as the G2, except much thinner. The A2 is Surefire's finest 2-cell incandescent - it makes my E2e look like last year's news.

My thoughts can be found here. There is no other 2-cell incandescent that even comes close, and once you've tasted the potential of variable power lights with two different output levels, you can never turn back - end of story. I sure as heck can't, not now.. :)

Latest posts