Inova Radiant Switch Guard?

BigMike989

Newly Enlightened
I'm planning on carrying my newly acquired Inova Radiant-AA in my messenger bag. The obvious problem is the light getting switched on in my bag. The tail cap could be backed off about 1-3/4 turns, but I am looking for something more elegant. Bonus points for using a common household / office item. Visuals below:

AA-tc5.JPG
AA-tc4.JPG

-Mike

tickle

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

Hope this reaches you. The inova really is a top notch light, especially if you like plastic lights.

The one flaw--and it just is a flaw, no matter who you are--is the possibility of accidental switch-ons. I have the AAA version and use it as a flashaholic's version of a keychain light, and within just weeks I'd already had two accidental switch-ons, which basically killed two pairs of batteries for no reason.

I've found the perfect solution, though, after much searching and thinking. Notice how there are TWO holes that you can put a keychain ring through? Put an ordinary split ring (size of your personal preference) through each of them, and then bind them together. I bound my two together using a third, extremely small split ring taken from my fishing tackle (the kind you would find on a fishing lure). The result is amazing--a switch guard that cannot move at all (not even a little!), and that protects the switch like fort knox.

By the way, how does a person carry such a large "keychain light" around without going crazy? By disconnecting the light from the keychain and just carrying it around in the same pocket. What makes it still a keychain light, instead of a light that I for some reason always carry around in my keychain pocket? Something I would like to call "flashaholic neurosa."

Incidentally, I'm a long time fan and this is my very first post. I'm starting therapy tomorrow to see if I can manage to also make it my very last. :)

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice to meet you, tickle. I have used soft plastic caps to protect the ends of some flashlights. The caps are found on the ends of large spools of coaxial cable.

I have seen Caplugs and rubber/plastic furniture feet sold in home center stores which could also do the job.

carrot

Flashaholic
I'm not sure, but it looks like the rubber anti-roll bezel in the Maglite AA accessory pack might fit -- you might want to check in a store if it looks like it'd fit.