Impressed with a 3W Cheapo 1x123

Cmoore

Enlightened
I recently ordered several flashlight related items on line. I saw this small 3W, direct drive 1x123 touted as rechargeable flashlight. It was pretty inexpensive so I included it along with a nano charger and two RCR123 batteries. I'm not much of a rechargeable fan; but, I've become impressed with this light. Since it does not have a name, I call it the 3W Cheapo.

This 3W Cheapo is quite bright and a great thrower with decent side spill. I get about 25 minutes of very bright light before it begins to dim noticeably using a fully charged 800 mAh unprotected RCR123 battery. For me, it's a perfect dog walking light.

Here is a picture of the light (stolen from Lighthound's site):

Chinese3Watt1R123_150.jpeg

Here's a link to Lighthound's site:

http://www.lighthound.com/

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
I think it is amazing how some of todays cheapo lights are outperforming some of the high end lights of just a few years ago. Technology is growing so fast that it is hard to keep up with.

AW

Newly Enlightened
It is on DD so it is very bright when you have a fresh battery installed.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
How is heat management with the RCR123A cell? I ask because when I use these cells in my 21-LED, 2-cell MEK light, the body becomes too hot to hold after 15 minutes.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
i think peak led solutions offers smaller LED's that have WAY more run time and are a lot brighter...

but for the price... if thats what you want.. thats what you want...

i can't wait to get a Caribbean... it'll kick my inova little lights to the side

Cmoore

Enlightened
Paul_in_Maryland, it gets plenty warm (the whole light) after 15 minutes of continuous use; but, not to hot to hold in the bare hand for me. I'm actually looking forward to this as winter approaches and the temperature drops.

Jar3ds, I have a Peak Carribean too -- you're right there is no comparison. The 3W Cheapo is a great dog walking light for me despite is limited run time. Since I use it every night and soon most mornings too for about 20 minutes a walk, the runtime is not a factor and the rechargable batteries will pay for themselves quickly. The Carribean has become my EDC, excluding dog walks, and I'm more than impressed with the Carribean -- it's a real winner as what I would term a "gents class" EDC. The 3W Cheapo is the brighter of two though and way out throws the Carribean -- not surprising given the Cheapo's much larger diameter head.

IsaacHayes, It uses a clone LED; mine has a slight blue tint.

Charlie

Last edited: