My new EDC from Target

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got this light http://www.amondotech.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=720 at Target for $9.99. Actually the light is exactly like this one except it has the name "River Rock" on the side of it. It's .5W and regulated and the package claims 7+ hours run time on 2 aaa alkaline batteries. There are also 2 Duracell batteries in the package. It's surprisingly bright for it's size with a very nice white beam (spot with wide spill beam). I finally have a small EDC that's bright enough and takes aaa batts- exactly what I was looking for.

The local Target store is carrying all kinds of LED lights. I used to have to order all of my LED lights over the internet, but now have another option locally. They have Inova microlights for $5.99, and several other Inova models. There are also several other name brands of LED lights which I can't remember right now. They have by far the largest selection of LED lights of any retail store in my town of 45,000.

Kurt B

Last edited:

MVB

Newly Enlightened
srvctec said:
I got this light http://www.amondotech.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=720 at Target for $9.99. Actually the light is exactly like this one except it has the name "River Rock" on the side of it. It's .5W and regulated and the package claims 7+ hours run time on 2 aaa alkaline batteries. There are also 2 Duracell batteries in the package. It's surprisingly bright for it's size with a very nice white beam (spot with wide spill beam). I finally have a small EDC that's bright enough and takes aaa batts- exactly what I was looking for.

The local Target store is carrying all kinds of LED lights. I used to have to order all of my LED lights over the internet, but now have another option locally. They have Inova microlights for $5.99, and several other Inova models. There are also several other name brands of LED lights which I can't remember right now. They have by far the largest selection of LED lights of any retail store in my town of 45,000.

Kurt B

Yes, they are re-branded Nuwais. Here is Quickbeam's review:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/nuwai_tm-311h_2aaa.htm

M

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: My new EDC from Target (photo)

I took a look at that review after I got the light. I figured it was a rebranded Nuwai.

Here's a photo of the packaged light. (I reversed the pocket clip on mine so I could carry it clipped inside my pants pocket with the head down.)

DSCF0044ars.jpg

Last edited:

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

I actually saw that light last weak when I picked up a few of the laterns. I had it in my hand, then put it back. How do you like it?

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast

this_is_nascar said:
I actually saw that light last weak when I picked up a few of the laterns. I had it in my hand, then put it back. How do you like it?

I love it! It's just what I was looking for as an EDC for my pocket- runs on 2 aaa, it's LED (bright white), regulated, small enough but not too small, built like a tank, my favorite type of switch, and a great price- can't beat it for the price IMO.

attowatt

Enlightened
I liked it so much I had to change the switch out to a clicky type, so I did. its perfect for its size and as srvctec stated "EDC for my pocket- runs on 2 aaa, it's LED (bright white), regulated, small enough but not too small, built like a tank"

Didnt want to start new post as this 1 is here.

Jim:wave:

h_nu

Enlightened
My Target still doesn't have the new selections but I will check again next week and I want this 2 AAA light.

attowatt, where did you get the clickie for this?

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
attowatt said:
I liked it so much I had to change the switch out to a clicky type, so I did. its perfect for its size and as srvctec stated "EDC for my pocket- runs on 2 aaa, it's LED (bright white), regulated, small enough but not too small, built like a tank"

Didnt want to start new post as this 1 is here.

Jim,

Where did you get the clicky type switch, in case I'm ever inclined to change it to that type? Also, how does the switch come out of the tail cap? Does it just press out and would I be able to put the stock switch back in to use later if I so desire or is the switch damaged when removed?

:thanks:

attowatt

Enlightened
First take a good look at the inside of tailcap. There is a small philips screw inside which can be removed, but you have to wedge another screwdriver or needle nose pliers inside cap. Otherwise whole cap spins. Once you have removed pull out spring and metal leaf that has 4 leafs. KEEP the small screw, you will need it later.

This is the hard part trying to take out the black plastic cap. Spin it around so you can see how it snaps in. I just grabbed with needle nose pliers and pretty much destroyed it. If you go easy on it you might be able to reuse if you change your mind.

I cannibilized the NEW switch from a garrity G-Tech 2 AA flashlight.(incandescent frm walmart $3.97). I have a couple of DIGIKEY switches on order, but dont think they will be "thin" enough. You will need to file down the sides of switch that are too long. The "width" part of this switch is perfect, you just have to file down the "length" sides as seen in photos. I removed the metal parts including spring while filing down the housing. BE CAREFUL AS YOU FILE THE HOUSING AS YOU ARE COMPROMISING THE STRUCTURAL INTEGRITY OF HOUSING :crackup: REALLY.

I am sure there are other ways to have the same end result, this was the easiest for me as i got rid of 1 contact side of switch by mounting a screw thru the middle of "new switch" housing:

The small spring inside the new switch is aligned by a plastic peg that sticks out, no photos but if you get this far you will see what i mean. I snipped plastic peg off and drilled a hole here, very small. Remember that philips screw you removed from the old switch setup. Use it here to pass from the outside to the inside. The screwhead:crackup: needs to be filed to remove black paint, also this is what will make contact with battery (negative) when all is complete. The screw will also make contact (internally) with the spring, thus completing the circuit. I had to snip some of the spring, as now the philips screw is protuding inward, so this is a little time consuming. Install all pieces back inside housing if your comfortable with the way the "new housing" fits in tailcap; it should go all the way up inside where the tailcap housing tapers. I used my solder iron(VERY LIGHTLY) to "seal/melt together" the new housing once all components were installed. At this point you can adjust screw to get the "clicky" to work. Again...I am sure there are easier ways to have the same end result.

Snip the yellow rubber boot (that came with garrity light) and install on tailcap. I dont think it will be waterproof, but thats ok with me. Once complete, the switch was installed in tailcap housing and the metal leaf on NEW switch was cut to length so that it makes contact with main body of flashlight when it alings and closes. I used a small sliver of aluminum foil to make good contact on mainbody. The sliver is secure in crevice between the new switch and tailcap housing.

I know some may be deterred from this mod, I dont blame you, but for me it was worth the modding as I enjoy it. Total time 2 hours, but most time was spent trying to decide how to complete the circuit from switch to (negative side) battery.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just a ditto. I really like this light, too. One of the few lights where the blankety blank pocket clip works: holds the light in place with the head down and the center of gravity well below the clip so it doesn't tend to fall out.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked up a couple of these in silver color a couple hours ago for my step son and son in law who never seem to have a flashlight handy. I got silver so they could find them more easily than the black. I already have four of original Nuwai versions.

The Nuwai versions are NOT regulated, so it will be ineresting to see if these River Rock really are regulated, or just repackaged Nuwai. Someone did some runtime graphs a while back, but I'm not sure where to locate it.

The tail cap on the River Rock is slightly different than my Nuwais which were purchased last spring from Amondotech.com for $14.95 each. The River Rock tail cap is just a little longer and the black button is smaller. This results in the River Rock light being a little longer by the same amount. I don't have a preference for either version of the tail switch. All of the other physical/mechanical characteristics of the River Rock appear to be identical to the Nuwai.

The beam patterns appear to be nearly identical. The tint on both of the River Rocks are nearly identical to each other and both are more bluish than all four of my Nuwai, but not blue enough to be annoying to me.
The hot spot of the Nuwai appears a little larger and maybe a little bit brighter, but relative brightness is a little difficult for me to determine with my naked eye because of the difference in tint. I don't have a light meter.

I also EDC my Nuwai versions and also turned the clip around for bezel down carry. I've been very pleased with them so far.

ALSO CHECK OUT THE RIVER ROCK 2AAA .5W TWO POWER LEVEL HEADLAMP! I also picked up one of these also and am please with it so far. The beam characteristics are similar to the 2xAAA pen lights described above, but it has a slightly larger and noticibly brighter hot spot and more throw and fewer artifacts in the beam. The head lamp reflector is about twice the diameter and a little deeper. The head strap has the top strap as well as the regular strap. The switch is reverse clicky with momentary off, but no momentary on. First click is low, second click is high and third click is off. This is a very nice feature. The low is lower than the pen light and the high is brighter than the pen light. Great throw for such a small light. The battery compartment has an odd cap mechanism and putting the cap back on in the light was challenging, replacing it in the dark might prove near impossible. The switch gives good tactile feeback and is loud, as is the angle adjustment, which is hinged on the bottom and adjusts from straight ahead to past 90 degrees down. I may post a separate review for the headlamp.

I didn't mean to hijack the thread, but if you like the pen light, you just may like the headlamp. It may even be a decent bike helmet light.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I did get the River Rock .5w, 2xAAA dual power headlamp at Target. It was hanging next to the 2xAAA pen lights.

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked up the 2AAA from Target yesterday and while I like the form factor, I do have to say that this is one of the bluest "white" LEDs I have ever seen. I really wouldn't even call it white, I'd call it a light blue LED. The blue is uniform throughout the beam, not just in the hotspot. While the light functions (produces light) and I like the momentary switch, my color recognition when using this light is hampered to the degree that I couldn't see using it as an EDC.

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
Solstice said:
I picked up the 2AAA from Target yesterday and while I like the form factor, I do have to say that this is one of the bluest "white" LEDs I have ever seen. I really wouldn't even call it white, I'd call it a light blue LED. The blue is uniform throughout the beam, not just in the hotspot. While the light functions (produces light) and I like the momentary switch, my color recognition when using this light is hampered to the degree that I couldn't see using it as an EDC.

I just compared mine to my Gerber LX 3.0 and it (2aaa from Target) does appear slightly blue when next to the Gerber, but not enough bother me (which is maybe why I didn't notice it). I should have compared the two beams before my original post- :oops: sorry! I actually like a very slight blue tint (if the tint isn't white) for my LEDs.

Last edited:

litho123

Enlightened

this_is_nascar said:

TIN -

For comparison:
This .5w light is not quite as bright as the MJLED on 2AA lithos in a AA minimag
This .5w light is brighter than the MJLED in a 2AAA minimag on fresh alkies

The one I picked up is bluer in tint than the MJLED.

All in all, for 10 bucks, it's a nice buy.

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
attowatt said:
I know some may be deterred from this mod, I dont blame you, but for me it was worth the modding as I enjoy it. Total time 2 hours, but most time was spent trying to decide how to complete the circuit from switch to (negative side) battery.

attowatt,

Thanks for the great pics and description of how to mod the switch! I think I'll keep the stock switch- not that I would mind doing the mod- just don't have time to mess with something like that and I do like the stock one.

Osprey_Guy

Enlightened
I picked up one of these a few nights ago. We have three Targets within 15 minutes of my house and all three have it in stock (Must be something about this region for Target,...all three stores tend to get new lights in stock prior to stores in other regions).

I typically get a lot of use out of smaller flashlights and I'm always on the lookout for anything small and bright. I have many, many small, slender, inexpensive flashlights all over my house (mostly LED's)...And next to my bed I often reach for one of my little Dorcy's (also from Target). For my purposes this new light more or less falls into that category.

It is considerably more slender than my QIII (which is still very much my favorite all-round flashlight...I wear the QIII in a pouch on my belt and never leave home without it). I was initially, reasonably impressed with this new .5 watt flashlight. It puts out a pretty fair amount of light and it's slender size really comes in handy...especially for those times when I need a light which I can hold in my mouth, so that I can keep both hands free.

Based on my previous experience with using rechargeables in my other Luxeons, I tried swapping out the standard AAA's for rechargeable batteries (I've been using rechargeable Rayovac AAA and AA batteries for some time now...Keep meaning to trade up to something better, but these are still not too shabby).

So I loaded the rechargeables and..."WOW, what a difference!" With the disposable batteries, it put a decent amount of light,...but with the rechargeable AAA's, it is now VERY close in brightness to my Dorcy 1 watt (when the Dorcy is loaded with disposables).

Using rechargeables with this light, it is now the brightest light I own of that size...and it's quickly become one of my most-used flashlights. ;-)