Dorcy Metal Gear data?

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Picked up a Metal Gear from Wal-Mart, built like an M1-Abrams but no data. What class/bin luxeon is this, can it handle a rain storm. And then there's the matter of rechargeables and lithium cells?

chiphead

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bin's are going to vary. Most people have reported getting R bins and some Q bins. At this price, you are going to get whatever they put in them. They work fine on AAA rechargeables and should work fine with lithium AAA's.

As far as water resistance, it should be ok. It might leak around the lens. For $20, I wouldn't expect it to be more than water resistant. It's a great light for the money.

I did wonder if a Pila 150A would fit.

You can find more info from the LED Museum: http://ledmuseum.candlepower.us/fourth/metalg.htm

Last edited:

solarwinds

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, Metal Gear handles PILA batteries. There is another thread on this board where someone did this successfully. Just remove the 3xAAA battery cartridge, and put some insulation to prevent battery rattle, and it'll work. The resistor will prevent the Luxeon from being overloaded.

And, it's water resistant from what I've seen so far, submerging it in water several times. Dorcy really did a better job this time around

Nasty

Newly Enlightened
I'm new here...but do have a Metal Gear...great light on standard alkalines. Why would I want to change to Pilas please? What would I gain?

Thanks...

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sean said:
Bin's are going to vary. Most people have reported getting R bins and some Q bins. At this price, you are going to get whatever they put in them. They work fine on AAA rechargeables and should work fine with lithium AAA's.

As far as water resistance, it should be ok. It might leak around the lens. For $20, I wouldn't expect it to be more than water resistant. It's a great light for the money.

I did wonder if a Pila 150A would fit.

You can find more info from the LED Museum: http://ledmuseum.candlepower.us/fourth/metalg.htm
Sean!
And to all the rest, thanks for the replies! I took a chance and let set in a picture of what for about an hour...alls coo so far.

chiphead

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nasty said:
I'm new here...but do have a Metal Gear...great light on standard alkalines. Why would I want to change to Pilas please? What would I gain?

Thanks...

The main advantage is the Pila's are rechargeable and they are higher capacity than rechargeable AAA's, so you get longer run-time as well.