The Fenix-Store        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ok i need more money

Default ok i need more money

i have to make at least 250 more per month my dad handles all my money cuase well its better i think but i need more so i need to make money at home i have to be able to do it at home for reasons i wont say .we are trying ebay but i need to find cheaper stuff to buy so i can sell like wholesale stuff
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

Default Re: ok i need more money

raggie,

You could sell stuff at home through SMC. Go to onlinesmc.com and check it out. It may or may not be right for you. Just a suggestion.

Lisa
    HUG YOUR DOG!

Flashaholic*

You need to go to garage sale, then resale it on ebay.

Flashaholic*

Are you any good at fixing stuff? Bikes, computers, small appliances? How about pet-sitting/walking or lawn cutting? Good luck!

I know that Raggie is good at computers...
    Veni vidi velcro

i can build computers
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

Flashaholic*

I used to build pcs for people and worked in a small pc shop. Not much business in that anymore because it's hard to build it cheaper then you can buy. Plus the after support you sometimes have to put in is terrible. I found users, particularly ones that kids used a lot, tended to not keep up with the virus subscriptions and definitions and their pcs almost always got infected as the kids tended to do a lot of kazaa and chat activities. Family members are worse. If you build them a pc, they expect lifetime support including software related issues that you might not know nothing about. Nope, no more of that for me!
    I live in a van down by the river

i am pretty good at building em

You can donate plasma in most cities for $200/month. I'm not sure it's something I'd want to do long-term, though. Getting a part-time job/second job is also an option. Also, I'm not sure if you would be elgible or not, but the National Guard is pretty low on people right now and recruiting, and I think that pays more than $200/month. The problem is though due to the war in Iraq and too small of an active duty force the NG is being used far too heavily than ever intended so your part time job in the National Guard could very well turn into fulltime in the Iraqi Guard .

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by geepondy
    I used to build pcs for people and worked in a small pc shop. Not much business in that anymore because it's hard to build it cheaper then you can buy. Plus the after support you sometimes have to put in is terrible. I found users, particularly ones that kids used a lot, tended to not keep up with the virus subscriptions and definitions and their pcs almost always got infected as the kids tended to do a lot of kazaa and chat activities. Family members are worse. If you build them a pc, they expect lifetime support including software related issues that you might not know nothing about. Nope, no more of that for me!
    geepondy:
    I agree with what you said. That is, I would not recommend that anybody go into the business of making or repairing computers.

raggie:
    This is a little blunt compared to the way most people here talk to you, but I would like to see you succeed rather than lose money. Raggie, you have posted this same problem many times, and we have given you a lot of ideas of ways you could do odd jobs and other simple work in your own area. (I am not going to do that again.)

I know that you don't want to talk to people. If you make computers you would have to talk to people AND take a lot of grief from them. You would also need a lot of money up front to buy the parts. If you are wanting to find a way to buy cheap and sell high, so would a lot of us here. Let us know how to do it. The problem is that it takes a lot of money to get started and a big risk that you might lose it all.

Again, I would like to see you succeed rather than fail. Find some kind of service work that other people don't want to do. It is cheap to start, and you don't have to talk to people very much at all.

Good luck!

Chuck
    (Rymes, don't it?)
    [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    "Glorious absence of sophistication."

Flashaholic*

What the hell happened to my avatar? All of a sudden it is BIIIGGG.

Chuck

*Flashaholic*

An alternative to making more money is spending less. Now I don't know your financial situation so you may already be cutting expenses to the bone. If not, look for what you can do without and get rid of it. Focus first on recurring monthly or weekly expenses since those have a way of adding up without you even knowing it. I've often heard from people short on money that they maybe get a cappucino each day and then say it's only $4. Well in a year their cappucino habit is costing them $1460. Find a few things like that and you don't need to make an extra $250 a month.

When I used to work at a regular job I took the subway to work. Unfortunately where I live the subway was about two and a half miles away so that meant another fare. The MTA has gotten rid of two-fare zones since introducing the Metrocard but at the time taking the bus both ways would have cost me $2.50 a day. Therefore I walked to/from the subway, over five miles a day total. The only times I didn't was when the weather was very rainy or snowy, or when I worked overtime. I also rarely bought lunch out, saving another $4 or so a day. Combined these two things saved me $6.50 a day, $32.50 a week, $1690 a year. Amazing how quick little things add up, isn't it? I'm not even counting the fact that I never bought breakfast or coffee, either. That was probably good for another $2 a day, at least.

Besides the recurring things, I never bought anything unless I absolutely needed it. Often if you postpone a spur of the moment impulse buy you will find that a week later you don't want the item any more, and you have one less piece of clutter in your life. The only time I buy something is if I keep thinking about it for months (been thinking about an HDTV for over two years now but have yet to buy) and I get a very good price on it. I refuse to pay retail for anything but would rather wait for sales/closeouts. I could go on, but I think you get the picture. I you can discipline yourself and not buy the latest and greatest when it first comes out you'll be a long way to achieving financial solvency. Without revealing my exact net worth, I actually have more savings than most people who make 5 times what I do. In fact, I'm well under the poverty line income-wise believe it or not. Yes, I live with my parents but I've known many people who do and still squander every cent they earn.

Hmmmmm.....
    What can Raggie sell here though.
    I make a little money here on cpf every month.

How about custom CPF PC case mods?
    Veni vidi velcro

jtr1962 has some very good advice in my opinion.

I canceled Directv over a year ago. We never go out to eat or go to movies. I always buy my groceries when they are on sale no matter how bad I want something that is not on sale. Hamburger and hot dogs fills me up the same as a steak. 2 litre drinks are cheaper than buying a case of cans. I have not rented a movie in probably 3 years.

Also, I dont know what kind of internet you are on but you can go to dial-up and save some money there as well. My dial-up service is discounted with my phone bill through Bell South and only cost $5 a month.

Edit to add: My wife and I have not bought each other Birthday or Christmas presents in over 3 years. We do buy each other a card though. Every little bit helps.
    Last edited by LifeNRA; 09-13-2005 at 07:18 PM.
    MOLON LABE!

Default Do Case Mods

Instead of just buy & sell, or just sell your labor, how about if you try value added? Pick out a very common form factor computer case, mod the &^&%%!! out of it, and sell them as easy instant mods on ebay.

Default Re: Do Case Mods

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_McE
    Instead of just buy & sell, or just sell your labor, how about if you try value added? Pick out a very common form factor computer case, mod the &^&%%!! out of it, and sell them as easy instant mods on ebay.
    I'm thinking that he could partner with that online machine shop to produce custom "CPF" acrylic-window side panels. He could buy plain window-panels and just fit them with the custom-drilled-and-screened replacement sheets. Then expand from there if it takes off.

Whaddya think, Raggie?
    Veni vidi velcro

i still think my best bet is find away to buy something thats popler and find it at wholesale prices like cameras or something perhaps mp3 players

Quote Originally Posted by raggie33
    i still think my best bet is find away to buy something thats popler and find it at wholesale prices like cameras or something perhaps mp3 players
    You're going to have a really small profit margin if you buy in the U.S. You'd probably have to import directly from overseas.
    Veni vidi velcro

I'm not a big believer in the "it takes money to make money" theory, my business was built on a very limited budget.
    A good example is a young fellow I met who started a little business with a bucket and a shovel, he cleaned up dog poo in peoples backyards, no car. Today that guy has a small fleet of cars on the road with employees (I would probally skip that Christmas party) and he sits at a desk. Not being a people person this may be up your alley, although those who do deal with the public may find the similarities very close.
    Raggie, I have never worked for another person, and people arn't my favorite animal either.. I think that if you really want to generate some cash you may want to lean away from compter related stuff, and go do something that someone else wont do.
    I would love to help you pick a little side job, but I would need a little background.. If you want, drop me a line and I can help..
    Just one more light and my collection is complete! Ok, maybe two..

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by raggie33
    i can build computers
    Raggie,

One way building computers can make you money is to do something different, or a bit more, than just building them.

I have been asked quite a few times over the years about buying/building a computer for someone (even complete strangers in a computer store--or even Costco) because I ask them about what they will need the computer for, and how important their data is.

Between them being so excited that somebody ask them for their opinion, listened, and I did not make them feel like a complete dope about computers--I also told them about backups and several ways that they could, and should, make their data more reliable (RAID, tape, cd/dvds, multiple cheap external drives, using networking to keep data sync'ed between their primary and backup machine, etc.). Also, talked about the difference between simply copying off their data, entire OS, having the latest copy vs data sets overtime (to recover from viruses and errors), etc. Also, simple things like installing and configuring FireFox and Thunderbird with anti-spyware/antivirus software—with simple instructions one how to perform updates and such…

Just installing a simple firewall/router took me several hours to slog through Google to figure out how to get my computer to share disks and printers (for XP, under TCP/IP Advanced Settings/Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP). It may have been obvious to everyone else--but not to somebody who never set a network before).

Making money by putting hardware together is probably going to be tough. Putting together solutions that include backup, off-line storage, and archiving--showing them how to use it, and proving that you can wipe a disk and recover and/or get one file from two backups ago, and add special feature like one-button push to archive a project to CD/DVD for storage or shipment to a customer, etc. is where you should try to go...

IBM, Compact, HP, etc. have made tons of money from computer services... The hardware for most computer companies has always just been a vehicle for getting their foot in the customer's door. The cream has always been software and services.

Heck, even though I am cheap, I would very much consider purchasing "Fast Eddy's Networked Data Raid Archive System" FENDRAS (tm) box with straight forward instructions on how to install and use your system. And 24 hour hot line support (a good chance to sell further goods and services).

I think you would be surprised at how positive a reaction you would get from your first customer and how many referrals you would get.

A couple of important points... One, listen to your customer--let them talk. Two, don't make them feel dumb. Three ask questions about their needs. Four, you sound like you are probably very shy in person--show confidence about your solution to your customer—don’t show weakness, confusion, or dither about alternate solutions (for me, also painfully shy until my late twenties, this part ended up being easy--because I was very confident about my skills regarding engineering design).

-Bill
    Last edited by BB; 10-01-2005 at 10:51 AM.

Flashaholic*

Man, wish you could get a job. I make 333 a week after taxes. I was tight for money when they cut the extra hours and shift swapping at my old call center job. I found one selling dump trucks and went from part to full time plus a raise. I like it way better than that call center job.

I hope with my education and fact I am out of the wheelchair I could get more. The job right now isnt bad, pays my needs, may not have the budget to buy a new car, if I can drive. Used one is ok with me. I think I will stick with it and just work on my body to further ensure I wont need to go back tothe wheelchair. Not sure there is much of a future in selling dump trucks.

I use to make 150 bucks a month through my old wheelchair site with ads. You seem to have a way with computers, many thoughts and questions. I am sure it would take you no time to bang out your opinion on the news, things in life, people you meet, etc to make your own website. Then join an adservice like google adsense www.google.com/adsense I use to make a lot through a wheelchair advertiser, he went from 50 cents a click to 5 cents, man, takes quite a few clicks to make a buck.

After more problems with my host it was shut down and when it was up, the revenue was gone to next to nothing, redesigned it, it improved slightly. I just said forget it since I dont use the wheelchair and sell it.

Another idea, if you have a few computers laying around is to do disributed processing. I came across this website the other day. I started off making a cent a minute, then after a few days it slowed to a cent a few hours, I quit it. http://www.ubero.com/default.asp

There's a lot of sound advice given here on how to make/save money practically. I too was thinking about how to accomplish this and haven't yet. It certainly is not easy living in the Silicon Valley [SCC] with the way prices are and not to even mention gasoline expenses.

I'm the low man on the totem pole at work and really don't take home that much (netting 600+ weekly w/18 months to go before I'm 100 percent pay). That self-discipline of not being an impulse buyer really helps BIG TIME!

I do some weekend side-jobs twice a month ranging from 1300 to 1800 low ball bids just to make ends meet. . .But funny thing about trying to make ends meet is, when one seems to almost do so, someone comes along and moves the ends farther apart. I mean who really has enough? I consider myself poor and still struggling! ! !

How about finding an existing product/service that can have practical dual/triple usage? Then work out something with the manufacture about your ideas?

I wish you the best!
    LUX'Ottica

Flashaholic*

Wow, CHC, you must make 22 bucks an hour. I only make half that. Kind of a strange sequence of events for the job I am at. I got a college education to get a job since without one and being disabled i had no luck, other than a sumemr job at a local chrysler dealer, part time at a machine shop and helping my folks deliver newspapers. I got 2 degrees, associates in bus and soc science. Works great for jobs in call centers, selling credit card machines, and insurance, but not anything else than equipment. Selling dump trucks isnt my dream job, but its fun and pays pretty well. If I could drive, I would work a second job for sure as the bus doesnt run in the county at night where I live or weekends.

Shame I cant use some of my space, water or power to grow plants like some of those guys on cops does. I mean legal ones. I have plenty of extra room here I would love to use to make money while I am here and away.

Off topic:
    Cobb,
    I am very glad to here that you are out of your wheelchair. If I missed an earlier post about this I am sorry. I just wanted to say that I hope you continue to improve.
    MOLON LABE!

Flashaholic*

NRA, thanks. 3 years of lots of sweat, 4 exercise bikes, weight bench, 2 sets of dumbbells, plus steroids, protein, creatine and a doctors supervision. Spent 9 years in a chair. Muscular disease like MS, just got worse since highschool, chronic pain. Docs gave pain killers and wheelchair to function. Worked for a while, found supplements worked better for muscles than pain killers. Been out since May and still working out, hadnt used wheelchair since. Work full time now without needing a nap mid day or leave early, work out once a day, 7kilometers on the bike and 20 reps all over with weights and 60 sit ups, plus walk 4 blocks a day at work.

Flashaholic*

Raggie, I am not sure if this would work for you, but some people make $ pet sitting and grooming dogs / cats in their homes.

A lot of people find dogs, cats and rabbits easier to deal with than people. It will take a while to get it going, but the local vets and pet stores are a good place to start.

If you can build PCs, then most likely, you can build other things as well that are less maintenance intensive, and frankly, less likely to compete with Dell and the Chinese. I have built enough of my own PCs in the past, and done the numbers on buy / build. For me, I cannot even justify a homebuilt with my own free labor.

Can you do anything with wood or painting ?

Flashaholic*

I saw a 1 of 50 ways to work from home in a business magazine. One of the suggestions was to make a pet sitting service. I am not an animal person, but I could learn to be. Sounds reasonible that someone would want to drop off their dog to go shopping in the summer, winter or for a weekend in the city.

Flashaholic*

Its not uncommon to see folks at the corner of the street near the college or where i live. They are usually asking for money for something. Some look offical, others just have a sad story about loosing work or something.

If you could get 10 folks to give you 25 dollars a month, you have your needs met. I think there was an article recently about a pan handler who made 150 grand last year.

As a college student and a smoker, we all knew who were fakes as we see them leave and enter a car and walk out to the street corner. One guy use to stand next to his van he would just pull over. If anyone bought someone food, they would toss the sandwich inthe trash.

Think I may try it one day. I am sure at a busy intersection I could make or collect more than 11 bucks an hour.

Flashaholic*

I don't remember mentioning this before:

Before I lost my eye, I was running a high-volume sharpening business from the basement of my home. I taught myself how to sharpen beauty shop shears, barber scissors, tailor's shears, electric clipper blades for barbers, salons, pet groomers and veterinarians. I sharpened knives and other tools for restaurants. I sharpened drill bits and paper cutters; I even learned how to repair electric clipper motors, hand-held hair dryers and industrial sized dryers.

It was a big risk, because I didn't know if I could learn how to do a good job, and I didn't have ANY customers. I had to buy all the sharpening equipment and learn how to use them. Of course, I had to buy copies of the tools that I was going to learn how to repair and sharpen. There was always the risk that I would break one or ruin it.

My first customer was a snack bar owner. I sharpened about 6 long bread knives (serrated, wavy edges). I knew I had a knack for doing a good job, because the knives were so sharp that he cut the top of his thumb off while he was washing them. It cut right through a Brillo pad before getting to his thumb. Needless to say, he was a loyal customer after that.

I became so well known in the Kansas City area, that people from towns many miles away brought their clipper blades to me. I literally had to stop providing pickup and delivery service so I could devote my full time to sharpening.

In today's dollars, I would charge $5.50 per set of electric clipper blades. (Realize that a single pet grooming shop would need dozens of blades sharpened every week. (Do the math.)

Did you know that high class beauty salons sometimes spend as much as $1,000 for a pair of shears? They are tiny; the blades are no more than 3 inches long. They are hard and very brittle. Part of the sharpening process for scissors is resetting the blade angles - using a hammer and anvil. It is like cutting a diamond. That is, the hammer had to hit the shear perfectly, so that all the energy of the impact passed through the shear and into the anvil. If I was off - just the slightest amount - I would have to buy the stylist a new pair of $1,000 shears. I don't think I mentioned that I would charge $50 to sharpen just one.

I would take some real risks. For example, I was in a salon one day picking up shears or delivering them. One of the stylists asked if I could repair her fine-cutting electric trimmers. I said, "sure"! (I had never even seen one before. I took it home and disassembled it. I figured out what was wrong. It needed some new parts, which of course I did not have. So, I went to a beauty supply house and bought a new one. I canibalized the parts, and took it back the next day. As soon as I could find a source for the parts, I started repairing them for everyone. (That was long before the days of the Internet.)

When I started this business, I was working as a computer programmer for a big company. During lunch time, I would stop at every place that could use sharpening (restaurants, barber shops, pet groomers, veterinaries, tailor shops, etc.). That night, I would sharpen everything and deliver the items the next day.

Eventually, there was more business than I could handle, and the other competitors were getting pissed at me, because I did such a good job. I actually charged more for my work than they did, and, the customers had to bring their tools to me and come back to pick them up.

One day, one of my customers asked how I started the business. By the end of the conversation I had sold it to him.

It is one of the few things in my life that I am very proud of. I wish I could still do it, but I can't with only one eye, and a bad back.

Chuck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast