ok i need more money

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i have to make at least 250 more per month my dad handles all my money cuase well its better i think but i need more so i need to make money at home i have to be able to do it at home for reasons i wont say .we are trying ebay but i need to find cheaper stuff to buy so i can sell like wholesale stuff

ChocolateLab33

Flashlight Enthusiast
raggie,

You could sell stuff at home through SMC. Go to onlinesmc.com and check it out. It may or may not be right for you. Just a suggestion.

Lisa
smile.gif

2dim

Enlightened
Are you any good at fixing stuff? Bikes, computers, small appliances? How about pet-sitting/walking or lawn cutting? Good luck!

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to build pcs for people and worked in a small pc shop. Not much business in that anymore because it's hard to build it cheaper then you can buy. Plus the after support you sometimes have to put in is terrible. I found users, particularly ones that kids used a lot, tended to not keep up with the virus subscriptions and definitions and their pcs almost always got infected as the kids tended to do a lot of kazaa and chat activities. Family members are worse. If you build them a pc, they expect lifetime support including software related issues that you might not know nothing about. Nope, no more of that for me!

Frangible

Enlightened
You can donate plasma in most cities for $200/month. I'm not sure it's something I'd want to do long-term, though. Getting a part-time job/second job is also an option. Also, I'm not sure if you would be elgible or not, but the National Guard is pretty low on people right now and recruiting, and I think that pays more than $200/month. The problem is though due to the war in Iraq and too small of an active duty force the NG is being used far too heavily than ever intended so your part time job in the National Guard could very well turn into fulltime in the Iraqi Guard ;).

LightChucker

Enlightened
geepondy said:
I used to build pcs for people and worked in a small pc shop. Not much business in that anymore because it's hard to build it cheaper then you can buy. Plus the after support you sometimes have to put in is terrible. I found users, particularly ones that kids used a lot, tended to not keep up with the virus subscriptions and definitions and their pcs almost always got infected as the kids tended to do a lot of kazaa and chat activities. Family members are worse. If you build them a pc, they expect lifetime support including software related issues that you might not know nothing about. Nope, no more of that for me!

geepondy:
I agree with what you said. That is, I would not recommend that anybody go into the business of making or repairing computers.

raggie:
This is a little blunt compared to the way most people here talk to you, but I would like to see you succeed rather than lose money. Raggie, you have posted this same problem many times, and we have given you a lot of ideas of ways you could do odd jobs and other simple work in your own area. (I am not going to do that again.)

I know that you don't want to talk to people. If you make computers you would have to talk to people AND take a lot of grief from them. You would also need a lot of money up front to buy the parts. If you are wanting to find a way to buy cheap and sell high, so would a lot of us here. Let us know how to do it. The problem is that it takes a lot of money to get started and a big risk that you might lose it all.

Again, I would like to see you succeed rather than fail. Find some kind of service work that other people don't want to do. It is cheap to start, and you don't have to talk to people very much at all.

Good luck!

Chuck
(Rymes, don't it?)

jtr1962

Flashaholic
An alternative to making more money is spending less. Now I don't know your financial situation so you may already be cutting expenses to the bone. If not, look for what you can do without and get rid of it. Focus first on recurring monthly or weekly expenses since those have a way of adding up without you even knowing it. I've often heard from people short on money that they maybe get a cappucino each day and then say it's only $4. Well in a year their cappucino habit is costing them $1460. Find a few things like that and you don't need to make an extra $250 a month.

When I used to work at a regular job I took the subway to work. Unfortunately where I live the subway was about two and a half miles away so that meant another fare. The MTA has gotten rid of two-fare zones since introducing the Metrocard but at the time taking the bus both ways would have cost me $2.50 a day. Therefore I walked to/from the subway, over five miles a day total. The only times I didn't was when the weather was very rainy or snowy, or when I worked overtime. I also rarely bought lunch out, saving another $4 or so a day. Combined these two things saved me $6.50 a day, $32.50 a week, $1690 a year. Amazing how quick little things add up, isn't it? I'm not even counting the fact that I never bought breakfast or coffee, either. That was probably good for another $2 a day, at least.

Besides the recurring things, I never bought anything unless I absolutely needed it. Often if you postpone a spur of the moment impulse buy you will find that a week later you don't want the item any more, and you have one less piece of clutter in your life. The only time I buy something is if I keep thinking about it for months (been thinking about an HDTV for over two years now but have yet to buy) and I get a very good price on it. I refuse to pay retail for anything but would rather wait for sales/closeouts. I could go on, but I think you get the picture. I you can discipline yourself and not buy the latest and greatest when it first comes out you'll be a long way to achieving financial solvency. Without revealing my exact net worth, I actually have more savings than most people who make 5 times what I do. In fact, I'm well under the poverty line income-wise believe it or not. Yes, I live with my parents but I've known many people who do and still squander every cent they earn.

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
jtr1962 has some very good advice in my opinion.

I canceled Directv over a year ago. We never go out to eat or go to movies. I always buy my groceries when they are on sale no matter how bad I want something that is not on sale. Hamburger and hot dogs fills me up the same as a steak. 2 litre drinks are cheaper than buying a case of cans. I have not rented a movie in probably 3 years.

Also, I dont know what kind of internet you are on but you can go to dial-up and save some money there as well. My dial-up service is discounted with my phone bill through Bell South and only cost $5 a month.

Edit to add: My wife and I have not bought each other Birthday or Christmas presents in over 3 years. We do buy each other a card though. Every little bit helps.

Last edited:

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do Case Mods

Instead of just buy & sell, or just sell your labor, how about if you try value added? Pick out a very common form factor computer case, mod the &^&%%!! out of it, and sell them as easy instant mods on ebay.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Re: Do Case Mods

Ken_McE said:
Instead of just buy & sell, or just sell your labor, how about if you try value added? Pick out a very common form factor computer case, mod the &^&%%!! out of it, and sell them as easy instant mods on ebay.

I'm thinking that he could partner with that online machine shop to produce custom "CPF" acrylic-window side panels. He could buy plain window-panels and just fit them with the custom-drilled-and-screened replacement sheets. Then expand from there if it takes off.

Whaddya think, Raggie? :huh:

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i still think my best bet is find away to buy something thats popler and find it at wholesale prices like cameras or something perhaps mp3 players

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
raggie33 said:
i still think my best bet is find away to buy something thats popler and find it at wholesale prices like cameras or something perhaps mp3 players

You're going to have a really small profit margin if you buy in the U.S. You'd probably have to import directly from overseas.

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not a big believer in the "it takes money to make money" theory, my business was built on a very limited budget.
A good example is a young fellow I met who started a little business with a bucket and a shovel, he cleaned up dog poo in peoples backyards, no car. Today that guy has a small fleet of cars on the road with employees (I would probally skip that Christmas party) and he sits at a desk. Not being a people person this may be up your alley, although those who do deal with the public may find the similarities very close.
Raggie, I have never worked for another person, and people arn't my favorite animal either.. I think that if you really want to generate some cash you may want to lean away from compter related stuff, and go do something that someone else wont do.
I would love to help you pick a little side job, but I would need a little background.. If you want, drop me a line and I can help..