need legal advice on my house

raggie33

*the raggedier*
ok ya all know im a tad screwy//i have good days and bad well soon ill own this house at first it was going to be put in dads name so i cant do something sstupid but then he thought what if he dies and my stepmom remars he may try to take my house .so how can we set it up so i own this place but cant sell it or do something dum.i dont think illl do something dum but i sometimes do werid stuff

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Raggie, you need to hire a lawyer in your area and tell him/her what you want to do. You can't get the answer to this question on CPF and rely on it regarding something this important.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i think youre corect but i wanna get advice then see lawyer case lawyer rips me off i dont trust lawyers .i am pretty sure me and my dad and sister is going to see a lawyer in like 2 weeks

Topper

Flashaholic*
Hi Raggie, you need someone you trust to help you. I think it is best if you have someone close (not close like I love you man) but close as in drive over to see and check on stuff. That counts me out as I can't drive over to make sure stuff is OK. Raggie, I would if I could but we live too far apart for that to work. Some one close that you can trust is the best I can say. Alot of folks would be happy to help you, only a few should be trusted. I will help in a heartbeat,however I am too far away to be a good choice you need someone close to do things right. If you just need a name to put on a title???
Nope not me nor any person offering to do that. Be careful Raggie I do love you and I would have a problem if someone took advantage of you.
Topper

raggie33

*the raggedier*
maybe ill ask sister to put house in her name .she is very trust worthy she makes lot a money we fight a bit but i think she likes me we dont hang out but she is a great sister

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
You have lots of options, joint ownership with your sister and so forth, it's not a complicated issue and I doubt that a local lawyer is going to rip you off. Call a few and get some prices, they probably charge by the hour for stuff like that. If you get a name, I can have my sister look them up and see if they have any complaints against them. What state do you live in?

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Raggie, You can get the house held "In Trust" for you. Usually such things are set up by lawyers, but in some states, it is not absolutely necessary to hire a lawyer....

But you do have someone or some organization you can "trust". Most banks have a Trust Department... If there is a mortgage on the house, whoever holds the mortgage may be able to set up a Trust for you without too much extra expense. The Title company would also be able to advise you in general and may not charge you at all for a short consultation.

And there should be a legal aid society in your town, or at least county that will advise you (assuming you qualify as low income) free, and maybe even set up a trust for you free.

Unfortunately a regular Trust Attorney is likely to charge you $450 or more, for just advising you on the options, and lots more to do any actual work. Some don't charge for an initial 15 minute or half hour consultation.... Unfortunately often their free advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

I agree with you, I don't like lawyers as a species. There are a few that are OK, but in general, I'm one of those that say.... "its just 99% of the lawyers that give the others a bad name". But sometimes you just gotta work with them, nonetheless

Maybe you can get with one of the lawyers that is also a CPF member. I'm sure THEY would be part of the 1% group ;)

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Give these guys a call:

Gainesville Office -- Georgia Legal Services Program
705 Washington St., Suite B-1
Gainesville, GA 30501

Tel: 770-535-5717

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i wont have no house payments its all mine but i still have taxes and some condo fee cost a lot more then my old house but no drug adicts here much nicer house

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
What Stingray said. Normally I try to work around lawyers, but in this instance I think it would be best for your family to visit one.

Most real estate title companies are closley affiliated with an attorney or two. The title company that handled your home transaction would be a good place to start.

And remember, the advice you get on the internet, including mine, is worth exactly what you pay for it.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Make sure you have your father with you if/when you decide to see a lawyer. He's looking out for your best interests and can defend against any legal BS that an unscrupulous lawyer might try to pull.