Anyone with the Surefire E2L Outdoorsman out there?

sbebenelli

Enlightened
Anyone with the Surefire E2L Outdoorsman out there? Want to here your thoughts on it. The KL1 seems to be a love or hate relationship. I have the U2 and feel the need to buy the E2L for the long throwing beam.

WDR65

Enlightened
I don't really own the E2L in name, but I do have a black ha KL1 4th generation and a new style E2o. I normally keep mine on my E2d body, but if I want it a little more pocketable I put it on the E2o. It throws fairly well and is actually wide enough for most tasks I normally use it for. I also have an F04 beamshaper that I keep on it if I need to use it for close up stuff, but I can use it without the F04 while with my new KL3 I don't use it for close up stuff it gives me tunnel vision. It doesn't outthrow the KL3, but I can light up my backyard to the corn with it and I can make out things at that distance. That's around 85 yds or so. Not as good as the incandescents, but you get a much better runtime as tradeoff. It all depends on what your needs are, but I think its a nice all around light for all sorts of uses.

Scooterman

Newly Enlightened
I've had mine a couple months now. It has really good throw. Up close, like 10 feet in front of you, it's almost too bright when pointed at the trail. (I use my Tika+ for 90% of camp and hike related illumination.) The greatest thing about the E2L is: It's really good for spotting "eyes" in the dark...Big eyes or little eyes, they all shine. (If you can't see their eyes, they must be walking away, so no problem.) I've never tried it on bear, moose, mt. lion, wolves, or sabre toothed squirels, so I can't comment on it's effectivness as a defensive tool.

Good run time, SF quality, and fairly small size make it one of the lights that is worth packing.

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
sbebenelli,

I love my E2L, but Quickbeam's charts indicates a U2 on high actually out-throws it. That said, I ended up selling my U2 and keeping my E2L.

The E2L (and the E1L if you want more of a pocket size) are just damned good utilitarian lights at a reasonable price. Moderate throw, but a wide spot that does indeed light up a deep backyard with ease. Very nice size---just feels good in the hand. I love the long clip---much easier for me to slide on the front pocket of shorts than the short clip. Great runtime (~2 hrs.) on protected R123s, and rock solid regulation. Perfect knurling and SF build quality. Nice Z57 clickie.

I've got several higher end lights, but end up picking up my E2L (or E1L when I have it configured that way) more than anything else for typical around the house chores, dog walks, etc.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sure it's all hotspot, but it's a BIG hot spot to reach where sidespill would be useless anyways (other than attracting bugs) That said, SF needs to make both reflectored and opticed versions

Boltgun

Newly Enlightened
I have one and I am dumfounded at how bright the light is considering it is only rated at 30 lumens. It is a great set up and I also have the E1L body if I chose to go with a single cell. Right now it is my EDC and won't change unless something better comes along.

Boltgun