UX1L 1 "D" rechargeable mag

Ilikeshinythings

Enlightened
I just received my cut down 1 "D" pewter maglite.

I need to purchase my UX1L 3 watt star. Anybody know where I can find one?

Also I need to know which single rechargeable battery I should purchase for this project. I have my eye on the 168A and single charger but I don't want to pay for the Pila name brand. Anybody know if this is the right battery for the job and also if this battery and charger can be found anywhere for cheaper?

Lastly will the Pewter mag take kindly to a hotlips "D" heatsink? Or will it require a lot of boaring.

Thanks guys!

Dan K

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Photonfanatic sells the UX1L. Take a look here .
If you are going to use the hotlips you need an emitter.:)

If you don't want to pay for the Pila168A you can use a protected 18650 cell.
Try AW or 4sevens. :)

The Hotlips-D fits the Mag1D without any modification. :)

Last edited:

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
hotlips will drop right in, and will need a bit of thermal paste or epoxy around it to keep it from sliding out and give good thermal contact.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
AW's unprotected should also work and you can get almost 2 of those for the price of one protected.
Plus a UX1L will go quite dim and very, very resistive below 3 volts before the lithium ion gets overdischarged.
A UX1L direct drives beautifully from an 18650. Simple to wire. :)
A piece of pvc pipe and and a rolled up paper towel shoule be all that's needed to make the 18650 battery adaptor out of.
Then finally cut doewn and shape the spring with a pair of dikes and good pliers.
Get it all together and go show this new marvel to your friends. :)

Ilikeshinythings

Enlightened
That's a good idea. How much life will I get out of the 18650? It is not a rechargeable right? For the price will I get the same amount of light from the emitter using the 18650 as I would with the Pila? Thanks a bunch for your guys' assistance you are all very helpful!

Dan K

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
In a Mag1D body you have quite a few options for batteries & drive.

Here are some rechargeable battery options:
17650 or 18650 Li-Ion ... $10 - $35
3AA or 4AA NiMh ... $5.5 - $21

Here are some ways to drive your Luxeons
Direct Drive ... $FREE - $1 resistor
Wiz2 ... $18
bbFlex ... $25 ??? Is it out yet? Should be soon.
Fatman/Fatflex ... $22-$25 (For Multiple LuxIII option only)

Note your Luxeon and heatsink can range from $20 - $100+ depending on the bin and # LuxIII you use.

If it was me I'll go with a no name bin and direct drive for a 180+ lumen light for under $80.
Heatsink ... $13
3x LuxIII ... $30
3x IMS20 ... $12
1x 4AA-1D ... $18

Last edited:

JerryL

Newly Enlightened
Ilikeshinythings said:
That's a good idea. How much life will I get out of the 18650? It is not a rechargeable right? For the price will I get the same amount of light from the emitter using the 18650 as I would with the Pila? Thanks a bunch for your guys' assistance you are all very helpful!

Dan K
18650 is a rechargeable battery and a charger can ship with it from AW.
It is a lightweight 2200mah battery that packs about the same runtime as heavier 3x nimh otherwise would.
This whole battery/charger setup would runt about $25-30 shipped with the dsd worldwide charger and 2 unprotecteds.

Edit: you should get a runtime of around 2-3 hours with this battery on a ***L bin.
If you go with a 3x setup, then ***K bin leds may be the better way to go.

3rd shift (at work) :)

Last edited:

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got two '1D' from FiveMega and going to make some mini lux monsters.. i will be going with multi-emitters.. one very nice possibility is the PTS (perfect tri sink).. i think those are avail at flashlightlens... get 3 Tbin stars (get the TV1J for best bang for the buck).. if you use an 18650 (single bat).. if you ran three in parallel you could probably get enough voltage drop to not overdrive the emitters.. else you can put a 0.1 ohm chip resistor in series with each and keep the drive level down a bit.. that'd be the simplist design.

if you really want it to be a beaut.. put in a fatman driver and a dial for brightness.. use PROTECTED cells' so you won't over discharge them and you can get continous flat output and it's only $22 more.

-awr