peak key chain vs. lug style?

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
I'm about to give in and get a AAA key chain light.

I was looking around on peaks site and noticed that there are two different kinds that can fit on the key chain. the key chain model looks like it is about half an inch longer than the lug style. What is the difference between these two lights?

I would like it to be as small as possible so it will be less noticible on my key chain. Is the lug style the way to go?

I was looking at the pictures on Peak's web site and also noticed that the lug style has a different style head than the key chain model. Does this make a difference?

I'm trying to determine whether to get the 3 led or the single led. What is the difference between the 3 led hi power and the 1 led ultra(in terms of brightness), as they are the same price? I will probally using lithiums and I dont care about runtime as much, since it will not get too much use.

thanks for everything.
Brandon

onthebeam

Enlightened
For most of their lights, if you order one style, they'll send you the other for just $5. If you do buy the longer style, the end screws off, leaving a flat bottom for candle mode. But it's still a bit longer.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the keychain body, the lug portion can be screwed out and removed leaving a flat bottom. (with a hole in it)

On the lug body the lug is part of the body like most AAA lights.

The pocket body has a flat bottom.

From longest to shortest in same order as above.

Do yourself a favor and take advantage of one of the best bargains in flashlights. When you order your Matterhorn from Peak, go to the accessories page. There you can order extra bodies for just $5. So, for an extra $10, you can have all three and change them as it suits you.

I have the 3LED Ultra. Runtime be damned. AAAs are cheap. Yes, the single LED head is slightly trimmer, but with less output. Standard logical choice of output vs. runtime and battery cost.

Mark

Last edited:

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
thanks, I just bought the 3 led ultra power(lug style). I'll see if ever have the need to use the tailstand method. If it looks like I may need to do that often, then I'll buy the keychain style body for that purpose. But this will probally stay on my key chain and never come off.

Thanks for all of the ideas.