ArmyTek        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Urban Exploration

Default Urban Exploration

Anyone know of any good placesin Georgia to explore and put to use the many LED flashlight I have?

Default Re: Urban exploring in Georgia

i live on lake lanier its fun to play with lights here
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by raggie33
    i live on lake lanier its fun to play with lights here
    Lake Lanier is a fun place to play, period. What about caves or abandoned buildings?

theres houses and stuff under the lake i sometimes when i am a fish move inn this one house its right under thompson bridge road there is even a couch in it but the bigest catfish is in it
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by raggie33
    theres houses and stuff under the lake i sometimes when i am a fish move inn this one house its right under thompson bridge road there is even a couch in it but the bigest catfish is in it

How can I be a fish?

Of course, we all know not to promote or encourage illegal activities but UE is an interesting subject. I just said that as a heads up because we may get a cautionary post if we aren't careful about the subject matter.

These guys might be able to give you some interesting facts. UER_Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Icebreak
    Of course, we all know not to promote or encourage illegal activities but UE is an interesting subject. I just said that as a heads up because we may get a cautionary post if we aren't careful about the subject matter.

These guys might be able to give you some interesting facts. UER_Forum
    Thanks Icebreak.

Flashaholic

Stone Mountain Park after dark in winter (gets dark fast). Camping in Providence Canyon (near Lumpkin, GA). Lake Lanier (hey raggie, I didn't know you are so close). Rock Eagle (near Eatonton about half way off of I-20 going towards Augusta). Manchester Mill (see here: http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=3257671 and here http://www.friendsofsweetwatercreek.org/mill.html

Quote Originally Posted by pradeep1
    Stone Mountain Park after dark in winter (gets dark fast). Camping in Providence Canyon (near Lumpkin, GA). Lake Lanier (hey raggie, I didn't know you are so close). Rock Eagle (near Eatonton about half way off of I-20 going towards Augusta). Manchester Mill (see here: http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=3257671 and here http://www.friendsofsweetwatercreek.org/mill.html
    Nice Photos! I wish my lowely Canon powershot s500 could create such beautiful pictures. Thanks for the ideas. I was just at Stone Mountain earlier this week with the family.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroz
    Nice Photos! I wish my lowely Canon powershot s500 could create such beautiful pictures. Thanks for the ideas. I was just at Stone Mountain earlier this week with the family.

Thanks Nitroz. Photography is one of my first obsessions. See signature line.

Your Powershot S500 is capable of capturing photographs like mine. Most of the photos you see in my portfolio were taken with a lowly Powershot G3. Photography, like flashlight modding, is an art that can be learned.

Quote Originally Posted by pradeep1
    Thanks Nitroz. Photography is one of my first obsessions. See signature line.

Your Powershot S500 is capable of capturing photographs like mine. Most of the photos you see in my portfolio were taken with a lowly Powershot G3. Photography, like flashlight modding, is an art that can be learned.
    The G3 is a very nice camera also. A friend of mine at work brought his so that I could see it, very nice. The reason I ended up with the S500 is size and ease of use for the wifey. The S500 does take nice photos, that's because it's a canon right.

Last edited by Nitroz; 09-11-2005 at 10:53 AM.

Nitroz,

Try geocaching.com at night!

Hey've I've got some really neat lights since we last met..
    Maybe we can get together for some show and tell
    Since then, I picked up a few aleph1 1x123's, aleph3, mclux PD, HD45
    a 3.5in mag D head, supernova 75w hid, costco 35w hid,
    A few cr2 BL's by PEU
    and a boatload of fenix lights!
    TONS OF FENIX's before I shipped out the first batch

Quote Originally Posted by 4sevens
    Nitroz,

Try geocaching.com at night!

Hey've I've got some really neat lights since we last met..
    Maybe we can get together for some show and tell
    Since then, I picked up a few aleph1 1x123's, aleph3, mclux PD, HD45
    a 3.5in mag D head, supernova 75w hid, costco 35w hid,
    A few cr2 BL's by PEU
    and a boatload of fenix lights!
    TONS OF FENIX's before I shipped out the first batch
    Sounds good! But I am sure you will be the one with the show. I have done some other mods for people and ended up with a QIII for the work, it's one of my favorite lights.
    I still have the ALX which I let the kids use alot since the batteries can be recharged I don't have to worry about that. Did you ever get your rechargeable batteries back?

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroz
    Sounds good! But I am sure you will be the one with the show. I have done some other mods for people and ended up with a QIII for the work, it's one of my favorite lights.
    I still have the ALX which I let the kids use alot since the batteries can be recharged I don't have to worry about that. Did you ever get your rechargeable batteries back?
    Nope. They dissappeared into cpf never never land.
    You could check out one of these fenix's - they're so awesome - lots
    of light output for a 1aa light running 2-3 hours!

My next light is a UV light - I heard some of the geocaches now have
    phosphorescent(sp) paint to id them. that would be neat at night
    once you're within 10 feet.

Quote Originally Posted by 4sevens
    Nope. They dissappeared into cpf never never land.
    You could check out one of these fenix's - they're so awesome - lots
    of light output for a 1aa light running 2-3 hours!

My next light is a UV light - I heard some of the geocaches now have
    phosphorescent(sp) paint to id them. that would be neat at night
    once you're within 10 feet.
    COOL! I wonder if my royal blue modded light would make this glow?

Default Urban Exploration

I think I found a new hobbie But im live in Ohio and don't know where to find info on where to go and what gear to take. Anyone who knows something about it let me know. I found some websites but they all show pictures of their adventures, not informative to how to begin. Let me know....

Thanx Jason
    Arc aaa premium, Surefire L1, Inova X1, Pelican 2c Sabrelight, And a few junkers...

Default Re: Urban Exploration

Well, I don't know the first thing about Urban Exploration, but I'd leave a note on my fridge listing the area I planned to explore, and I would never change plans, and explore somewhere else, without changing the note first.

There are websites devoted to this subject, and I even stumbled upon an urban exploration message board, once.

Good luck.

Oh, and take a friend.

Always.

Thanx Raven for the insight. And I would definitely do the buddy system..
    Arc aaa premium, Surefire L1, Inova X1, Pelican 2c Sabrelight, And a few junkers...

and check local regulations and bring a light (or two)

Well, being that you're in Ohio, like me, there's a few things that you should consider over and above the standard safety fare..weather gear comes to mind, although if you're willing to wait about five minutes you won't have to worry about it

Really, though, maybe this link will be of some help..
    I love my Al-PD

Thanks ACMarina for the info. Do you explore here in Ohio? I live in Toledo and am clueless where to begin.. I know there are underground tunnels but have no idea as to where to get maps and such..

I'm not an *explorer* so to speak, no, but I'm up on a lot of the ideas because I do some USAR work here and there.

There are a TON of places to explore in Ohio, and more than a few in your area. You're not likely to find a lot of maps or walkthrough lists - they would let too many people in that way. Plus people would start to close off anyplace that wasn't just general knowlege (like a drain pipe under a freeway that people see every day). People watch over things closely these days, too, as nobody wants to be sued and soforth. Heck, we have enough trouble finding places to train for USAR, and we're insured and everything..

Look up some of the Ohio UE websites and browse around. You'll find some stuff, I'm sure - heck, a drive through the area would likely let you find some things to look up, too..
    I love my Al-PD

Carry your bailbond card with you at all times.

My brief thoughts - the younger you are the better off you are to do this - meaning if you don't have a wife and kids to care for - take some chances, but, there are huge legal issues with doing trespassing, not to mention the inherent dangers (unstable buildings, mold, fungus, and other airborne particulates) that you can inadvertantly bring home to your family. I would also get my tetanus shots up to date too (and wear heavy boots).

You have to always keep in mind that property owners do not want trespassers for many legitimate safety reasons that you may not be aware of - lead based paints, asbestos, extraneous chemicals, and other "non-obvious" health risks. Also possible run-ins with wildlife such as snakes, spiders, and rats that may not be the healthiest of critters. Not to mention homeless peoples, etc.

Just some things to think about before starting into this hobby. Taking a calculated risk knowing what you're up against is better than taking unnecessary risks.
    Last edited by Monolith; 02-21-2006 at 04:31 PM.

yeah, that's definately true - that's why my SAR team has insurance
    I love my Al-PD

What is USAR. And ar you a private or government sar team? Sign me up

Urban Search & Rescue - and the answers are yes and yes

Probably the best way for most people to get involved and learn is to take a FEMA CERT class. Call your local EMA and inquire about it, there's a lot to learn!!
    I love my Al-PD

I used to be a volunteer fireman as well as a certified emt.. But i never heard of a sar team in or around toledo ohio. Although it is a good sized city i rarely hear of the need for one..

If you're an EMT, I believe there is a DMAT Team based in the Toledo area..

Lucas County's CERT Program Web Page -

http://www.co.lucas.oh.us/ema/CERT_home.asp
    I love my Al-PD

I think you would find virtual geocaching very interesting. It's a great way to find interesting places you never knew about.

Here are some links to get you started.

http://www.historicalparks.org/WalkPark/Geocaching.htm

http://www.stpfriends.org/STP_Geocaches.html

http://www.geocaching.com/

http://www.cogeocaching.org/ (Central Ohio)

Hello Ohio Cachers
    Jim - Have lights, lead, and steel will travel

The heck with runtime. I just want to hold the sun in my hands!! Brighter is Better!

Flashaholic

jpfaff, i did this for a couple of years, then chilled. got to thinking about my wife and i being alone(sometimes)and vulnerable in the middle of nowhere. however, we never did run into anyone. most people would avoid the places that we went. creepiest place was an old folks home that was abandoned with doors unlocked. two floors with basement-about 70-80 rooms total. knowing all the people that died there, i was very nervous(2:00am). every room had a large, creaky, wooden door to open. when we finally got back to the car, i had no adrenalin left in my body. the old folks home was auctioned off to a millionaire who refurbished it(first class)into his private home. this site http://www.forgottenoh.com/page1.html has some interesting info on old places. advice--wear hard sole boots to stop rusty nails. damage nothing and go in a group of 4 or more. any sign of people--abort. warning--its addictive. another good site http://www.deadohio.com/
    Last edited by spock; 02-22-2006 at 12:57 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast