I'm returning the River Rock Lantern (4xAA Jupiter)

solarwinds

Newly Enlightened
This lantern just really isn't bright. Actually, there's just so much glare that comes out of it, which blinds my eyes, but it's not really "useful" light which can brighten up rooms.

dsc011445hl.jpg

I'm going to go back to Target to return it. I just hope they don't give me any problems about returning it, as the 4xAA batteries that came with it are now used.

I might consider getting a Dorcy Luxeon 3D instead, but I just can't stand the bluish-white tint of the Luxeon Lottery!! I really just want a WHITE light (WHITE as in Dorcy Metal Gear 3xAAA white) with a really long runtime. 3 D batteries are also very heavy, but then I'm spoiled by how light (no pun intended) the Metal gear is since it only uses 3xAAA batteries. But I still want to give Dorcy 3D another chance since it claims 300 hours runtime, which would be useful during a blackout or terrorist attack.

Hope you other owners of this lantern are not offended by my returning of this light. It's the first LED lantern I've ever bought. Maybe relatively speaking, it is better than other LED lanterns, but to me, it still provides a very dim light when illuminating dark rooms. I barely could read a book right beside the lantern. If you bought the River Rock Lantern from Target, what do you think of it? The crazy artifacts from it? The blinding glare? The 1/4 second blinking strobe which gives you a headache after 10 seconds? The impossible to open battery compartment? I would overlook all these flaws if it only could illuminate dark rooms better though.

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those artifacts are terrible! :sick2:
That lattern could sure use some "invisable" type scotch tape on the plastic cylinder to even the light out a bit.

bole64

Newly Enlightened
They will not give you any trouble. Just make sure you either have the reciept, or the credit card or check you paid for it. I just bought one of the lanterns, and i really like it. That run time is really good, and wax paper can be used to fix thoes artifacts (if needed). I personally do not mind them and i noticed that it can properly light my doorm room just fine.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want to cut down on the weight of D celled lights just get some D to AA adapters. I keep some in my BOB too that way I can use whatever is available for my 2D lights.

-LT

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just try another Dorcy 3D. Every Luxeon is going to be a little different. You might get one you like this time. :)

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
So far I'm satisfied with this lantern. The artifacts mentioned aren't really artifacts caused by imperfections, but really more of a uniformed shadow pattern. Yes the lantern can be blinding when staring at it, sort of like a propane mantle lantern. The illumination is ok and about on par with a florescent lantern. The strobe function, like on other lights, is almost useless as far as I'm concerned. It would have been far better to use that switch position for a low setting, or simply to delete the strobe and make it a simple on/off switch. I have yet to take it in the woods and give it a real world test.

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
The best lantern I have is a Dorcy 4AA with Tektite LPR113 LED bulb. It draws 250 mA at beginning from the 4 AA batteries, so I get 24 hours of continuous light from 4AA.
This is not true of the EverLed, that being more bright and with a different power converter, gives only 10 Hrs on 4AA.

Anthony