Saving threads as Acrobat files?

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm trying to save threads as Adobe Acrobat PDF files. In the old forum software when I saved threads the formatting was fine. I tried to do it now and the formatting is a mess and shows things you can't even see except from a drop down menu.

Does anyone know how to fix the formatting? I tend to save tech stuff on lights I have so I can go back and check easily since I've apparently overloaded my cranial data base and the stuff I read leaks out at night when I sleep. :shrug:

TIA,
-LT

Saaby

Flashaholic
How are you saving as PDF? I would click "Thread Tools" and then "Show Printable version" and go from there.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a PDF tool bar from Acrobat 6 Pro. It just has a drop down menu that says "convert web page to PDF" and a couple of other choices. Once I did that I can open the PDF and click on any link and it downloads and inserts the new page into the document.

-LT

lix

Newly Enlightened
greenLED said:
I've been using pdfFactory for several years now. Excellent product from FinePrint software. pdfFactory installs as a printer driver; all you do is print *whatever* you're doing an choose pdfFactory as your "printer".
For those who like the idea but don't want to part with any $$ then PrimoPDF is a nice free tool to do this if all you want is a basic PDF. Much better than another free tool I commonly see called PDF995 as it has no nag screens or forced watermarks.

Of course on my Mac I can do this natively free-of-charge :p

dtrego

Newly Enlightened
Another alternative is PDFCreator from http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator . I can't compare it with any of the other suggestions - it's the first one I tried and I've been happy enough with it that I've never bothered to try the rest. Like some others it installs as a print driver, so if the program you're using has a print option you can make a PDF of it. It's free, too.

- Dwayne

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
dtrego said:
Another alternative is PDFCreator from http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator . I can't compare it with any of the other suggestions - it's the first one I tried and I've been happy enough with it that I've never bothered to try the rest. Like some others it installs as a print driver, so if the program you're using has a print option you can make a PDF of it. It's free, too.

- Dwayne

Man, you are the BEST! :bow: :thanks:

I just picked up a copy and w-o-w. Plus the price tag is something I can truly live with.

Sheesh, I learn the best computer-related tricks from a flashlights forum.. :D

dtrego

Newly Enlightened
Lunal_Tic said:
So has anyone actually tried to make a PDF since the new forum software was installed?

-LT
Well, um, no - not until now. I tried what I normally use (PDFCreator), and it seems to create a pretty accurate rendition of a CPF thread. The only thing I don't see is the background colors in the various title bars, etc. The background is all white.

- Dwayne

PS: KevinL - thanks! Glad I could help.

Saaby

Flashaholic
I, like lix, am on Mac -- so PDF creation is built into the OS, might be different for you, but if I click on "Thread Tools" and then say "Show Printable version" and then create a PDF from that, all content looks great. The background isn't there, but the information is.