Lights at Target

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Target at Potomac Yards (Alexandria, VA) now has the 0.5watt 2xAAA light (River Rock) and all three of the new Inova "Radiant" lights. There are empty hang tags for a number of other Inova lights. The pegs for the rest of the known River Rock lights were also empty, the sales guy said they had a few but they all sold out really fast.

The Target at (near) Seven Corners (Fairfax, Va) has all of the River Rock lights and had one each of the Inova Radiant lights. There are empty hang tags for a number of other Inova lights and the sales person said there would be more in soon.

Also for anyone who cares I'm doing a runtime on the Inova Radiant 2xAA right now (alkalines) and when that's done I'll do one on the River Rock 0.5 watt (2xAA).

Last edited:

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Runtime chart for the Inova Radiant 2xAAA light. Please ignore the glitch around 80 minutes, my cat knocked the testing equipment. The light itself had a VERY steady regulated run with the supplied alkaline batteries.

InovaRadient2xAA.jpg

Numbers at bottom are minutes.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
had an opportunity to stop by the Target here in GA today and they had a full stock of all the above lights, several flavors of inovas as well as the jupiter powered "River Rock" lights.

I couldn't help myself and got a few :D I like the formfactor of the .5 watt headlamp a LOT. 2AAA, adjustable up and down, very comfy strap with one to go over the top. Getting the battery compartment open and closed is a little bit of voodoo and I"m not sure how the little plastic tabs that hold it would hold up to heavy abuse, but it's quite solid for non-caving use anyway and should be decently water resistant. The 2 stage switch is very nice too. The only thing I dont like about it is that there is not enough spill. I dont need a distance light when I'm wearing a headlamp, I need a close up flood already! So that will be getting some scotch tape treatment but I'll definitely use it.

The 2AA light is a inova 1AA wannabe. It's very focused with a moonlight beam. It has decent throw because of that, but again no spill at all because of the optics. I needed a few more AA based lights to choose from in case of a long term outage and this will go into the pile, but I'm not sure it will have much regular use.

The lantern I'm a bit torn on. It's bright enough I suppose but again they go for some strange things in the battery compartment that would make it virtually impossible to get right in the dark. And I think they reflect too much light back upwards. A lantern needs to illuminate the space around and below it so that you can hang it from a tree or set it on a table and have it not shine up into the eyes of people, but down on whatever you're doing. Not complete sure how much of a problem that is going to be. I may also try to mod it with an identical warm white LED that I've got ;)

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I'm wondering what the lantern's light would be like if you were to remove the little conical reflector. It appears it would have to be cut out since it seems to be part of the lens dome. I'll probably wait for someone else to try it first. I hate to risk breaking something before its time.

Geoff

The-David

Flashaholic, Formerly KE7AYF
I stoped by the federal way, Wa store today at the comons... They had oinley a varey limited amount of outdoorsey stuff no realy flashlights, a few lantersn. But they are in a mall in federal way, what would you expect? Oh well mabey there just slow as they have oinley been open about 3 monts.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The San Jose, CA Blossom Hill Target finally got in the Inova's and River Rock lights. Unless I am mistaken, there are a few more River Rocks lights then have been previously mentioned here on CPF. They had a model that has a krypton bulb with 3 5mm LEDs in the reflector in a similar layout to the SL twin-task series. This is powered by 3 AAA batteries and sells for $12.99. They also had some River Rock keychain lights too.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
LowBat said:
The San Jose, CA Blossom Hill Target finally got in the Inova's and River Rock lights. Unless I am mistaken, there are a few more River Rocks lights then have been previously mentioned here on CPF. They had a model that has a krypton bulb with 3 5mm LEDs in the reflector in a similar layout to the SL twin-task series. This is powered by 3 AAA batteries and sells for $12.99. They also had some River Rock keychain lights too.

It wouldn't surprise me at all to find more models. I think the excitement (for me at least) was finally seeing good quality LED lights hit a mainstream like Target for a low price.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to add a bit more info, the River Rock keychain lights were hour glass shaped and had a silver colored body; I think they run of off LR41 cells. The River Rock 3AAA twin-task style was advertised as being regulated for 7.5 hours on the krypton bulb, and something like 15+ hours on the 3 LEDs. Not too shabby for $12.99.

Has anybody else seen these lights, or is my local Target the only one to have them, which I find highly unlikely unless these additions just came out yesterday.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
They had them at mine in GA too, but the lr41 powered keychain lights dont really register with me anymore as I have an ArcAAA on the keychain and need no other keychain light :D

The 3LED and xenon i also saw, but I won't be interested until it's 3LED and a luxeon in the middle :)

They also had a new one from Brinkman with 9 5mm leds powered, I think by 3AAA batts.

I have already Modded the Rock River Headlamp with better optics :D

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
that was at the Target in the Savannah mall. It's a pretty good sized store, but a bit of a drive from me. If I wasn't looking for some other specific things there I wouldn't have been able to talk myself into going just for the flashlight... Well, really, yes I could :D

JoeBob

Newly Enlightened
Greenville NC finally got ALL the lights- Innova Radiant and T series, Brinkmans, and the Rock River lights.
Picked up the lantern, with Ophelia bearing down on us, I may get to field test it.
It definitely needs something to clean up the beam, will try the tape and wax paper to see what works best for me.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I thought the Headlamp and the Lantern that I saw when I picked up the RR 2aaa and Inova 2aaa looked quite interesting...

But I was stretching things by buying what I did!

Incidently, the River Rock 2aaa and the Inova 2aaa are QUITE nice outside in my quality dark!!! The Inova has more and better spill than I believed possible!

Ikonomi

Enlightened
I just came back from my local Target, and boy do they have a lot of new lights! I saw Inova Microlights in white, red, blue, and green, all with the translucent case, along with X5s in blue and white with black or titanium finish, and X1s in blue or white with black or titanium. The new Radiant series was there, all sporting "optic-enhanced reflectors" or whatever, in 2AAA, 2AA, and 2C flavors. The 2C is almost as big as a 2D Mag.

And there were a lot of River Rock branded lights, too, including the 0.5W in silver or black cases, two seperate models of keychain lights (they were pretty big), the 1.5W lantern, the 3 LED/xenon "Combination Flashlight", and a 1.5W flashlight in either 2AA or 2C flavors. The 2C boasted 9 hours of light. Oh yeah, and there was the 0.5W headlamp, too.

So much stuff, so little money!

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
~

My Target didn't have the FULL selection. Maybe some were sold out or back-ordered. I bought a rrAA with aspherical lens. Man is that bright!! It has concentric rings outside the spot which are annoying, but still, very well made. The threads are smoother than the other rrAAA. I don't like the cheap reverse clickie at all, so that makes it harder to recommend. I figured out how to loosen the tailcap for momentary operation, but that isn't very dependeble. Now I have to figure how to get the bezel off for glow mod!

I checked out the new Inova lights. Not much to see there. I would have expected more from inova. Radiant titan my a$$. The switches were better than the reverse clickie ones at least. Not something to add to my little stash of lights. I would feel better sharing my SL4AA, I think it's nicer.

Inova keychain lights are nice, if you like that kind of thing.

Still don't need an X5 in any color.

Only 3 X1s left on the shelf. Still my fave, but no GREEN!! (a little pricey, I think)

Did anyone see the flickering led candles for 3.49 around the corner with the crabby halloween flashlights?? Expect those to go cheap Nov.1.

--------------------
ET

Last edited:

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: ~

The "greatest hits" appear to be River Rock all the way: the 2AA and C (I have the now-overpriced Aurora version of the 2AA and like it a lot), the 2AAA penlight and headlamp (I got the penlight and it's good but the tint lottery made me blue :( ), and the lantern (very nice output- good tint, good size, I just wish it dimmed instead of strobed).

I also like the new Inova microlights due to the low mode and auto-shutoff on high.

The old Inova stuff is of course still build like a tank and all but I'd figure the prices should be lowered a bit considering the competition.

I agree with greenlight that the Radiant series leaves a little to be desired- I'd expect a bit more polished design from Inova even for a "budget" line. IMHO, they are pretty ugly and I never like to see open holes for water to get in, even if you call them a "ventilation system."