Lights that you trust with your life.

jashhash

Enlightened
Over the past year it has come to my awareness that though these bright mods I make do have some flare it has also come to my attention how much I distrust them in situations where I need depend on them. Such a situation would be cave exploring for example. My question to everyone is this. If say hypothetically you were trapped in a cave and could only have ONE light by your side which one would it be? Would it be something that you tampered with?

Of all my lights I would most likely trust my stock Q3 even though it runs a bit hotter than I like. I would still call this my most dependable light.

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhon
i owuldnt trust my life to my own skills i would prefer it if a company like surefire or PT put lots more research in to it that my little mods so if the was one light that i would trust my life to it would have to be a PT attitude
it is simple and indestructible just how i like my shtf lights

DocArnie

Newly Enlightened
I would take my Q3 in a friggin heartbeat. It's one of the most reliable things I ever had. And I use it every day...

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
SureFire for sure (but I'd have to have an eternaLight, an ARC AAA, and a Princeton Tec Attitude with me as well!!)

Last edited:

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd have to say my SureFire 9P. I was going to be putting my trust into it if I needed to clear any rooms, or if our perimieter were breached at night. That never hapened though.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
We talk about this once in a while. While most lights are very reliable, I think factors which maximize reliability are: LED (shockproof), DD (no electronics to go bad), twisty (no switch to go bad), good stout lanyard hole, and good, heavy duty build quality. Something like a Gerber LX1.0 or 3.0, depending on how much run time you wanted and if you envisioned having more batteries lying around.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
jashhash said:
Over the past year it has come to my awareness that though these bright mods I make do have some flare it has also come to my attention how much I distrust them in situations where I need depend on them. Such a situation would be cave exploring for example. My question to everyone is this. If say hypothetically you were trapped in a cave and could only have ONE light by your side which one would it be? Would it be something that you tampered with?

Of all my lights I would most likely trust my stock Q3 even though it runs a bit hotter than I like. I would still call this my most dependable light.

I agree with FMU, I would take my direct drive Lux III moded mag.

B@rt

Flashaholic
The most reliable light I know of (not the brightest by a longshot, but sufficient enough for me in pitch black conditions) would be a tritium variable brightness torch
050623tritiumkl9aq.jpg

050623tritiumkl20ww.jpg

wk33020802353fh.jpg

No electronics at all
icon4.gif
, half life time of ~12.5 years. :wow:

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
B@rt said:
The most reliable light I know of (not the brightest by a longshot, but sufficient enough for me in pitch black conditions) would be a tritium variable brightness torch

It looks as if you would die in the cave before your light would. :)

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
jashhash said:

This is an easy one. For sure, a Jil-DD light. It's simple, no nonsense, no electronics to fail and has usuable light for over 20-hours.

jtice

Flashaholic
I do a good bit of caving.

My hand light is currently a Streamlight 3C Luxeon, which I totally trust.
But at about 5 hours runtime, I would want more than that, if I was hurt, ot lost in a cave.
So I would have to say my backup caving light, the UK 4AA LED which fets 10 hours.

I have just begun testing my new headlamp. www.stenlight.com
If it proves reliable (which I think it will) I would choose it for sure.

BTW, an Arc AA is ALOT of light in a cave.
Your etes are VERY night adapted, which makes even something like an Arc AA actually light up a room, and actually throw a good bit.

~John

B@rt

Flashaholic
Tin, I don't have one yet, but it shouldn't be long now... :D (also some other tritium goodies, vials and maybe dots... :D )

Hopefully the deal will work out and if it does, keep an eye out in mods BST, ;)

Haz

Enlightened
Bart,

That looks like a neat little thing "tritium variable brightness torch".
Where can you get one from?, how does the variable brightness controlled work?

Haz

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd trust my life with a light that has a lifetime warranty. It would be hard to choose. Would it be my Surefire U2 or my L4 with a two stage switch? I believe I would choose the U2 even though it is heavier then the L4. The U2 would have more adjustable output and would be more efficient with battery power than a resistored two stage L4. It is a tough call for me. I'd go with the U2.