• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired FS - 5 Watt Fire~Fly WX1T Bin, BB nexgen

LEDSmith

Newly Enlightened
FS - 5 Watt Fire~Fly WX1T Bin, BB nexgen _Withdrawn

I am selling my beloved Firefly to pay for some lathe accessories.

This is a custom firefly II with BB Nexgen 750ma / 5 watt WX1T emitter Sandwich. This is a fully regulated 5 Watt light - that is not much larger than a AA battery. Run time on a RCR123 is approximatley 25 minutes (protected cells will have slightly shorter run time. Please note that body and bexel are not in pristine condition (some wear does exist).

The total current draw is 1.05A.

Optics are 17mm IMS turned down to fit head ( head is also slightly modifed to accept reflector, but also works perfectly with NX05 (included).

This firefly is setup to run on RCR123's at 3.7 Volts (not included). These batteries can be purchased from www.batterystation.com. Battery $9.00, Charger $15.

Asking $175 (shipping CONUS included).

Please Email me for pictures

Last edited:

knifebright

Enlightened
Wow cool. I was always under the impression that the nexgen converter could not power a luxV cause the maximum V-out is 6 volts for the nexgen. Do you think its just running in direct drive?? anyway reall cool
jimmy

LEDSmith

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the heads-up Knifebright - it would appear that this is not a very well explored configuration - I do contend that this is a valid configuration, as follows:

The voltage accross the LED Measures at 6.2 Volts. vf for this WX1T emitter is 6.4 Volts.

If Anything, it is slightly underdriven, but in regulation none the less.

6.2 volts with ~ 787ma (assumed 75% efficiency of the converter) = ~4.8 Watts.

The Nexgen is the best possibility for a single cell 3.7 volt lithium and 5 volt configuration. (availabel for the firelfy sandwich anyway)

Perhaps the converter experts could chime in and explain the possible downfalls or detriments. All I can say is that it has a good runtime, and is brighter than my L4.

LEDSmith

Newly Enlightened
Re: FS - 5 Watt Fire~Fly WX1T Bin, BB nexgen - price drop

Now asking $150 for my custom (one of a kind) fire~fly 2.

Specs:

- Firefly 2 body, bezel and Head (modified for reflector).

- Nexgen BB 750 converter PCB

- WX1T 5 Watt Emitter

- 17mm UCL Lens

- 17mm IMS Reflector

Description of operation:

This light is configured to operate with a 3.7 volt rechargeable CR123. I used a BB nexgen converter specifically for this reason - When running the standard BB with a 5 watt emitter, you would have input voltage cutoff somewhere above the battery voltage and that means no light. The nexgen starting voltage for regulation is ~ 3.4 volts.

The T bin emitter has a Vf specified to be around 6.5 volts. Whereas the Nexgen is limited to around 6 Volts. My voltage reading accross the LED is 6.2 Volts. Based on the output (see picture camparing to Surefire L4), clearly the LED is woring within operating range, perhaps being driven a little less efficent than some would like.

IMG_0852-355x262.jpg

IMG_0851-385x276.jpg

ff_parts_1-581x403.jpg

Beamshot - Comparison to a Surefire L4 (FF is on the left)

ff_vs_surefire-300x222.jpg

LEDSmith

Newly Enlightened
Wow,

I guess that the maket for used Fire~fly II's in not Hot at all. Perhaps because of the new FF3 coming out.

Make me an offer.

mut

Flashlight Enthusiast
LEDSmith, If I had some funds right now I would give it a try. I really like the color of the WX1T myself.

mut

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I might be interested in just the sammie.

Let me know if this is possible.

Benny

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
This post was in reference to someone who has since deleted their post above.
It has therefore been deleted as well.

Last edited: