Jetbeam        
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: 1kW Xenon Arc Tank Light

Default Re: 1kW Xenon Arc Tank Light

Lotsalumens,

Sans the control box it might be a little tricky without the 100v capacitor bank in there.
    In the control box there is a capacitor bank and circuit board for the timer/diagnostics. Other than that it's all switches, which can be simplified without the diagnostics etc.

An on 'switch' - 24 volts - to the system mains (a relay)
    Retract ir tube 'switch' +24v to it's motor, defaults to extended.

ignitor circuit 'on'
    starter circuit 'on'
    lamp 'on' - Here's where I might need the 'control box' capacitor bank or a 100v continuous source.

Focusing is +24v to the focus motor, looks to be either 'spot or wide' (?)
    I don't know if I'm going to use the reflector distorting function or not yet. Otherwise a 'switch' for that +24v to the motor.

Greg

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by Phased_Array
    Hmmm...
    Today one sold on Ebay for $250... I bought it with no competing bids. Less than 150 views of the item for 10 days! I downloaded the gov't wiring diagrams and manuals beforehand to be sure I could hot wire it without the control boxes.

They're still out there.

Phased Array
    I was going to bid on it but I held out. I was going to mount it on the back of my 36V Yamaha Electric golf cart. I can tap in at 24, 30 or 36 volts so the cart would be the power supply and portable roving unit. I could cruise around the desert where I live.

Let me know if you get it running and want to sell. I'm really looking for a working unit and would pay more for one. I just don't have the time to hunt for parts.

I'd almost be inclined to disable the IR mode if you don't need it as well as the focusing. The "wide" beam is sort of an odd shape and is still pretty collimated. Simply being able to turn the light on narrow beam would be enough for me (basically the same as an advertising searchlight), but obviously it depends on your own needs.

What kind of power supply do you think you'll use?

cfb
    "It is better to light one multi-kilowatt xenon arc megalight than to curse the darkness."

Lotsalumens,

I'm starting to look for a mil surplus power supply for testing and development.

Yeah, I agree about disabling those functions too.

Fell asleep reading the wiring diagrams I downloaded and it looks like I need that 100v from the control box cap bank to feed the lamp starter coil. To get the 40,000v spark.
    Any guess what I could substitute for the 6 360 microfarad caps = 3500 volts
    Or maybe bypass the wole thing and get 40000v to the lamp some other way to start it.
    The lamp runs on 22-28 volts.

But the final use of the spotlight will be on the top of a M35A2 Deuce and a Half military truck, next to the 50cal M2HB. It has a 24v military electrical system not sure about the alternator output amps yet.

Phased Array

I don't understand why they would need that much capacitance to creat a starting arc unless there is a huge joule requirement. If that is not the case you could use an automotive ignition coil.

Can we get a close up shot of the reflector and lamp assembly, im just curious to see the design up close.

also what search terms are you using on ebay? I cant find any of these.

Jim5,

My thoughts too.

The 24 volts gets jumped to 100v, then charges the cap bank. This cap bank turns into 3500v, this charges the starter(ignitor) coil to get the 40,000v.

12v to 40,000v in one shot with a car ignition coil.

Phased Array

Good GAWD. I just HAVE to have one of those!

Flashaholic

Have you discovered any new planets with it ? If so, they might name it after you !!!

Flashaholic*

That is neat, thanks for sharing.

Although it does bring some questions to mind. Why would they need such a bright light if night vision and other stealth technology is used? Wouldnt this make them visable for miles? Ive seen some old tanks and other equipment, they have like dim lights with shields over them so they are not seen from the air.

Here is one way that it was used:

http://www.ospreypublishing.com/titl...2&view=extract

cfb
    "It is better to light one multi-kilowatt xenon arc megalight than to curse the darkness."

My neighbor annoys much to me, i love to put this light towards his window...
    Zebralight Spark Princeton Inova Petzl Maglite Bushnell 4 XM-L MagMod and a lot of Cree XM-L Lights Nitecore i4 Intellicharger Intl-outdoor 3400 Panasonic 3100 Bare and protected Samsung 3000 Sanyo 2600
    Please, respect the planet, dont kill animals...

Wow, I wonder how long the bulb lasts and where one could find a replacement.

~Kyoorius

Quote Originally Posted by Phased_Array
    Lotsalumens,

I'm starting to look for a mil surplus power supply for testing and development.

Yeah, I agree about disabling those functions too.

Fell asleep reading the wiring diagrams I downloaded and it looks like I need that 100v from the control box cap bank to feed the lamp starter coil. To get the 40,000v spark.
    Any guess what I could substitute for the 6 360 microfarad caps = 3500 volts
    Or maybe bypass the wole thing and get 40000v to the lamp some other way to start it.
    The lamp runs on 22-28 volts.

But the final use of the spotlight will be on the top of a M35A2 Deuce and a Half military truck, next to the 50cal M2HB. It has a 24v military electrical system not sure about the alternator output amps yet.

Phased Array
    The fact that there are 6 3500V 360mfd caps suggests to me that the starter might not be a coil at all. It may be Marx circuit (charge caps in parallel, discharge in series). YOu can delivery a a lot of joules with a Marx circuit, and it needs to be treated with a great deal of respect when it is that large. The biggest Marx circuit I have seen is a 400Kv unit that delivered 25ma. (10Kilowatts). It ran an X-ray tube...

In an arc tube that large, it is going to take good whack to get it to flash over AND leave enough ionized molecules around for the lower voltage arc to start up.

Nice work on the death ray there.

Hope you don't live in an area full of UFO watchers. lol, they'll think you're being abducted. (it looks very X-files-ish)

It does indeed! A friend of mine down south bought one as well, and borrowed my cables so that he could use his on Halloween (he does a huge extravaganza outside his house). He said it looked like a giant light saber going up into the clouds.

cfb

That puppy has CPF 2006 calender written all over it!!

Last night here in NYC near Lincoln Center they held an even called Winter's Eve, which is sort of a big nighttime block party involving a whole stretch of the west side. It starts with the lighting of the Lincoln Center tree and is a lot of fun (bands play in some of the stores, there are street performers, etc). Anyway they had three of those big 4-head xenon advertising searchlight rigs set up along Broadway and I had the opportunity to really examine the beams as they hit some of the taller buildings as well as clouds. Surprisingly, the beams were not quite as tight as I expected and had somewhat diffuse hotspots as they hit the buildings. No question that they are amazing lights, but the beam from this little tank light seems to be more tightly focused and collimated, resulting in a brighter more laser-like beam (smaller diameter though). Not what I expected!

cfb

Oh. My. God.

How many D-cells you say?

takes a tank just to carry them around so I would think quite a few

Amazing!!!
    Carrying a firearm for self-defense gives you great power. Society expects great responsibility from those with great power.

Unenlightened

Wow!! I want two!

I've been lurking for a while, but this tank light is just too damn cool. I had to post and say WOW. I have to get myself one of these.

Last summer a bunch of these lights in varying condition (and wildly varying prices!) turned up on ebay. Haven't seen any recently but I am sure some will turn up eventually.

Mine is in storage for the winter, but when I get it out again later this year I'll take a bunch more beamshots and post them. I've got to build another set of cables as well since I gave mine to a friend who bought the same model light. Got some major soldering to do...there are a lot of pins in those connectors!

cfb

Quote stolen from:

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thum.../2006/1/4/2329

And in 1,250 years, some alien flying a starship in a distant galaxy will be blinded by an unknown light source, causing it to crash into a nearby moon. Reconstructing the path of the light source, our planet will be wiped out by a fleet of warships demanding restitution.
    This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time.
    Be prepared for the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by lotsalumens
    Last summer a bunch of these lights in varying condition (and wildly varying prices!) turned up on ebay. Haven't seen any recently but I am sure some will turn up eventually.

Mine is in storage for the winter, but when I get it out again later this year I'll take a bunch more beamshots and post them. I've got to build another set of cables as well since I gave mine to a friend who bought the same model light. Got some major soldering to do...there are a lot of pins in those connectors!

cfb
    Need any help? I think you said you were on LI or upstate NY
    Carrying a firearm for self-defense gives you great power. Society expects great responsibility from those with great power.

Thanks for the offer! We live in NYC and the light is out at a shared family house near the end of LI. It actually only takes a few hours to make a cable set but it is a huge pain...not to mention expense with all the connectors costing about $500.

cfb

Where does the lanyard connect?
    Smeagol: "the Precious..., curse them. We hates them. It's ours it is and we wants it."

Unenlightened

Most certainly a GB is in order for the tank light!

Check this one out.........

http://cgi.ebay.com/Navy-Naval-Fligh...QQcmdZViewItem
    Last edited by mwc-951; 01-05-2006 at 04:20 PM.
    E1E - E2E - 9Pw/P91 -

Enlightened

[Ode to Joy playing in background]

That is awesome!

Patrick

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast