Imalent        
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: 1kW Xenon Arc Tank Light

Default Re: 1kW Xenon Arc Tank Light

TONYD,
    Yes the batt charger has the amps, I looked into that just before lucking out on a mil surplus power supply. I will be mounting mine also on a deuce and a half which has a 24v system, so I need two power cords. The wire would be cool I think I calculated 6ga for my 10ft runs.

Hi everyone,

Since we may soon have some more of these lights working, I just wanted to post a safety reminder about using short arc searchlights like these. Bear in mind that the beam cranks out both intense visible lights as well as UV and can cause permanent eye damage much the way an arc welder might. The last thing any of us want are cataracts or other long-term damage just because we got careless and thought it would be ok to look at the arc.

Same thing with friends, family, and particularly any children who might be around (very important!!). These folks would have no idea what walking up to the light and taking a look inside could do to them, so it is the owner/operator's responsibility to make sure this can not happen. Just imagine going off to check out the beam from a distance, and coming back to find one of your kids, or a neighbor's kid, a friend, etc., trying to look into the front of the light to see how it works. Yikes!

Lastly be aware of the very real explosion hazard of the high-pressure bulb. Particularly for the units which don't have cases. For a whole lot more info on short arc lamps, plus some sound safety info visit this site:

http://members.misty.com/don/shortarc.html

Be safe!

cfb
    Last edited by lotsalumens; 06-24-2006 at 09:46 PM.
    "It is better to light one multi-kilowatt xenon arc megalight than to curse the darkness."

Thanks for all the info. I own a lab in which one of our instruments is an ICP-MS. Suffice to say that the plasma torch on this thing is protected as the temperture is 10,000 C quite a bright light if little throw. Needs a radio frequency source to ignite the plasma.

Enlightened

Good point Charles about being safe. These are not toys and yeah it's scarry the damage they can do to you or your love ones.

Flashaholic*
    Live: Paramaribo, Suriname, South America / Study: Rotterdam, The Netherlands

Nice project guys !

Be safe !

Cheers !

Connie Rod says I've got to revive the venerable AN/VSS3 thread. The one that started it all.

Phased Array

Enlightened

Where did you find Connie Rod?

Nice tripod mounted light. Got any pics of it in action?

Phased, very cool tripod indeed!

For anyone new to this thread, there are some VSS-3 beamshots at the beginning of the thread.

Charles
    "It is better to light one multi-kilowatt xenon arc megalight than to curse the darkness."

Just a little more welding on the elevation mechanism and I'll be done with the AN/VSS3 mount. The trick was to be able to readily move it from the truck to the tripod using standard military mount components.

Charles, did you get a new set of cables for yours?

I have the light and panel connectors, and am just waiting for Powell to deliver the two power supply connectors so I can make a set. I'll have to ask my friend in Georgia (who has my first set) if he has any plans to fire up his light up on the 4th.

Man, all these neat looking tripods are making me jealous. Might have to kludge something together. I like your idea of a Rapid Deployment Insane Intensity Tactical Light Source (RDIITLS) that can be taken off the truck and used in the field when needed!

Charles

Tank Searchlights ROCK !.... but I could never afford the shipping
    Do something, or do nothing, but do it quickly, there's a line forming !!

Au Re: 1kW Xenon Arc Tank Light

I'm Glad to see one of these is still working! In the 70's and 80's I worked for ITT manufacturing the lamps for these type of devices. There were 2 of us working on those lamps. The lamps were all hand made we did the Glass/ Quarts work and all the assembly and testing.

*Flashaholic*

Hi Rich, and welcome to CPF!!!!! I hope I have it straight, Varo corp was aquired by Numax Electronics, which was then aquired by Litton, Which was aquired by ITT and subsequently by Hughes. (Prolly not in the right order ) I am very interested in the history of these things, and hope you can shed some light! (Please forgive pun!) You wouldn't have a spare lamp laying around? How high is the pressure of the Xenon fill?

Larry
    So much for not being able to find my happy a** with both hands and a flashlight! (Do not look into Tank Searchlight with remaining eye!)

Rich,

Welcome to the forum! It's great to have someone here who was so involved in this technology. We'd all be fascinated in hearing anything you'd like to share. Were there any spectacular failures during testing?

Cheers,

Charles

Ummmm..... I have, um, a question.

you guys don't really have anything even vaguely resembling a PRACTICAL USE for these things, do you?

Ha. I didn't think so.

Send them to me. Now.
    new! improved! shorter signature.

Anyone looking to sell one? If anyone is looking to sell theirs, I am looking for a functional an/vss-3a and the required power supply. I have a generator to run it - just looking for everything from the gennie on out.

Anyone interested in selling? If so, please drop me a lineat ericsc at gmail (dot) com.

Thanks!

-Eric

Unenlightened

Quote Originally Posted by lotsalumens
    Hi everyone,

Here is something fun I picked up earlier this year, and just got working a couple of months ago. It is an AN/VSS-3 1kW xenon arc tank searchlight with remote focus and infrared mode. The light is a nice compact case at approximately 16" square in front and maybe 24" deep and 65lbs or so (says 75lbs on top but feels much lighter). It took a long time to find the correct military connectors, make the cables, and find a suitable supply, but it was worth it. I just thought the folks here might enjoy some beamshots:

These lights have been showing up on ebay frequently lately. This one was brand new, packed in 1980, and still in original crates with waterproof airtight foil bags around everything. The supply I found is a 28v 60amp DC unit used by the Marines to power a big radio set. It is the most incredibly overbuilt and indestructible component I have ever seen. I honestly believe you could send it down a flight of stairs with no ill effects (to the supply that is!). Gotta love ebay!

cfb

Hello everybody! First post here, been reading this site every now and the n for a ~year or so. I'm living in Finland.

Is there any information about sellers for these in europe? I really would like to get one for my truck, Former Swedish military vehicle
    -teppo

Flashaholic*
    Live: Paramaribo, Suriname, South America / Study: Rotterdam, The Netherlands

Welcome to CPF, SCOUT !

I advise you to read all pages in this thread, some discuss about how to get such a Light, and some discuss all the warnings one should know about operating such a light (UV-issues and such).

It does look like yous Military Vehicle might be suited for such a light
    I wish you luck on your journey !

Cheers !

i forgot about this thread....
    thanks for reviving this 1 year old thread.

btw: Welcome to CPF!
    mind your wallet at all times

I saw Teppo's (Scout) post on the Volvo 303 mailing list and that got me wanting one of these things again. I have no idea what I would use it for, but it sure would be fun!

Teppo, if you find one, have it sent to me in California and then take a vacation and carry it home as luggage.

While you're here, we can go visit my Finnish bartender Pauli Partii.

Cheers!

Greg

Ever watch ID4 anyone?
    L2T/123|Civictor (polished)|Luxogen LR12|P1D-CE/kooter/McR17XR (polished)|L0P-SE|D-Mini|Boxer 24W HID|L1D-CE/P2D|L0D-CE|Quard USW0I 1C|LM631|A-mag 1C@1.2A flupic|MRV|Thor X Colossus|P2DQ5|KDAAASSC

*Flashaholic*

That lotsalumens guy made me buy two of the suckers, and I'm still in the process of returning the favor! (I'm doing a http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=118432]mount for him too. I drug mine out to the Landers shack, and lit-up a bunch of folks camped at Means Dry Lake at ~2.5 miles. I received a high-power green laser in reply!! (Shined mine back. ) I have a friend who is .5mi line-of-sight and have managed to annoy with the Maxabeam , who stopped by the following morning expressing thanks that he and wife weren't "alien-abducted!." These things are awsome! (And I will add scarce, as I have had a "tank searchlight" ebay notify for the last 6 months with no real hits!)

Edit: A pic.

Larry
    Last edited by tvodrd; 12-03-2006 at 10:20 PM. Reason: add pic
    So much for not being able to find my happy a** with both hands and a flashlight! (Do not look into Tank Searchlight with remaining eye!)

Flashaholic*

That has to flashoholism in its final stage... damn, i'd like to own such a light.

The thread lives again! I know a bunch of people have gotten these lights this past year. Anyone have any beamshots to share?

Cheers,

Charles

P.S. Larry, what kind of runtimes are you getting with the two batteries?

Charles

Oh, wow.. the beam almost look solid. And that's a good picture, too. Look like something out of a movie.

Love to see more pictures of this, too.

Lightmania
    light-ma-ni-a [lahyt-mey-nee-uh] (noun) a compulsion to switch on any form of lights; a fascination with illumination and nigritude.

Lightmania,

Here are a couple of beamshots that I posted over the summer in a showdown thread between this light and some 35w and 50w handheld HID lights. It was just for fun. My VSS-3A is now packed up for the winter unfortunately.

Charles

Lol, that is just too cool! Thanks!

Lightmania
    light-ma-ni-a [lahyt-mey-nee-uh] (noun) a compulsion to switch on any form of lights; a fascination with illumination and nigritude.

Those beamshots are freakin' awesome!!

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast