Mod reflectors in Nite Ize LED and MiniStar2?

benh

Newly Enlightened
I've got two mini mags, one with the Nite Ize LED replacement and one with the Terralux MiniStar2. Both reflectors install such that the lens bezel doesn't screw down all the way, and it's bugging me. In addition, the MiniStar's reflector is long enough that there's very little twisting needed to turn the light on, making it a bit prone to accidental on.

I want to take a bit of material off the top flange of both reflectors so that they'll fit into the bezel more cleanly. Anyone know if this will adversely affect the throw on either LED? The Nite Ize seems to throw identically with or without the reflector, so I don't expect any problems there, but have some reservations about the MiniStar2.

greenLED

Flashaholic
You can carefully and slowly sand off a small portion off the top of the reflector. The optical properties are not affected as much as if you did it on the bottom (you're interfering with focal point, as well as switching mechanism).

The NiteIze "reflector" is more of a ring to keep the switching mechanism working. It may catch a portion of the sidespill, but the 5mm LED's are already "prefocused" at a certain angle, so they don't really need a reflector.

Sand away, I say! :) but go slow and check for proper measurements/functioning often.

Far_Field

Newly Enlightened
benh,

I have two the the Nite-Ize LEDs for my AA mags. Before mod, the heads would screw on about one turn. After cutting about 1/8" off of the black cup holding the LEDs (used an X-acto knife) and removing the "do not remove" plug (make sure the batteries are installed before removing plug), the head now screws down two turns. As greenLED said, go slow. If you cut off too much, the light will not be able to turn off (if that happens, put the plug back in).

I have the kit with the tailcap switch so I purposely cut the black cup back so it does not turn off with the head. Then I wrapped the threads with Teflon thread sealant tape to make it difficult to turn the head or tailcap.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
i just put one in... its bright at close distances... good flood/spill.. throw isn't all that good... comparing it to my L2 at low setting "15lumens" i'd say that the the light scores at a 8-10lumen rating... but its really hard to tell... not a bad upgrade for $5 or so bux... i mainly bought it just to learn and study.

chiba

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I have a 2AA mini maglite with the Terralux MiniStar2 LED. The reflector that came with the LED is smaller than the original one, but still I can't screw down all the way. If you screw it down too tight it make break the LED. What can I do to make it screw down all the way? Thanks