Steamlight Stylus Mod- Best LED?

cmendoza

Enlightened
What's the best upgrade for the LED in the Streamlight Stylus (whitest/brightest)? I know some have put the MJLED in. Is this the best way to go?

THANKS!
Chris

P.S. Any sources for a good RED 5mm LED?

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a 26K in mine, not bad but the size of the LED is slightly smaller than the Stylus' hole. I think somebody is selling the new 35K LEDs too.

-LT

cmendoza

Enlightened
I've got the 35K leds and a nichia cs on the way. Are the resistors different in the red vs white led models? Has anyone put a MJLED in one? I thought that would be the brightest.

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would someone explain how to get the LED out of the Stylus, and more important, how to get them back in so they don't wobble and flicker?

I've never modded one -- I've just exchanged several because the stock LEDs came loose already.

I'd love to mod the rest as they start loosening up.

Especially the 2-battery older ones.

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take a rubber mallot and tap the led out of the front of the stylus, make sure you have the tailcap off and batts out.

The led holder will come loose and you just push it out with a long thin object.

Remove the led from the plastic holder, un solder the resistor, replace the led with the resistor soldered on the led.
Use a #2 pencil to tap the led/holder back through the front, install the batts and tailcap and you are good to go.
HTH:p

cmendoza

Enlightened
I've modded a stylus with the Nichia and MJLED. The Nichia is dimmer and has a smooth but brown corona. The MJLED is brighter (turns off the night light from a little farther away) and lights up the room a whole lot more. It's comparable to my Nuwaui 0.5watt 2AAA!

I have a question. Since I left the resistor in, do I have to worry about degradation?

I've read a post showing the MJLED degraded at 105mA but not 75mA. Any idea what my Stylus is running at?

Thanks,
Chris

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
>any idea

Nope, I used to know where to look up the formula, but you need some voltage (forward and backward voltage, is it?) numbers describing the particular LED you used, along with the voltage of the batteries attached -- those go into the calculation, round and round, and come out with the approximate resistance needed. It's all here somewhere.

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
highorder said:
ther is no way that led "taps" out. suggestions?

I have done a few of these and they all came out. They can be hard, make sure the tail cap is off and the batteries are out.

Set it tail cap end down on semi soft wood, grab a hard plastic mallet a give the led a good wack.
Once the led is loose you will need something long a narrow to push it all the way out.

HTH and good luck

highorder

Enlightened
whew! its out. can I simply replace the led with any 5mm led? will I need to re-solder the resistor? what function does the resistor serve?

sorry for all the questions, but this will be my first "mod"

thanks for the help.

highorder

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can use any 5mm LED, but I hope you got a better one as opposed to the stock one. You should use the resistor or you may kill the LED quick from feeding it too much current.

highorder

Enlightened
who makes a good one, and where can I get some?

and perhaps a link to decyphering the codes...

UWOJ, MJLED, etc.

vetkaw63

Enlightened
I simply took the stock LED/resister out and replaced it with a CS 5mm. Seems to work fine but, I don't use it for extended periods of time.
Mike

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never seen the MJLED and SMJLED specification; I dropped one into an older 2xAAAA Stylus, without putting the resistor back in, and it's been OK (it's Ok as a plugin to the 2xAA Mags in the place the bulb fits, so it makes sense).

I'd like to know what the MJ/SMJLED needs to be safe with 3x alkaline batteries.

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
LED center » Why do I need a resistor with an LED?
Why do you need a resistor with an LED? The short answer: to limit the current in the LED to a safe value. The long answer: LEDs are semiconductors, ...

led.linear1.org/why-do-i-need-a-resistor-with-an-led/