Is there an LED "tactical" that compares to Streamlight Scorpion?

mini14jac

Newly Enlightened
Hi all.
This is my first post, but I've been reading the board as a guest for a while now.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I did a search, and didn't find anything.

I've seen a "tactical" LED light at Lowe's. It was priced around $45. :awman:
(Don't remember the maker, but is was one I had never heard of.)
From playing with it at the checkout, I couldn't tell how bright it really was.
It was small, and very cool looking.

I've got a Scorpion, and one of the Brinkman Xenon lights that Walmart sells.
Is there a LED light that compares to the Xenons for defense use?

(I guess I'm looking for a Scorpion or Surefire with batteries that would last 4 hours or more, and bulbs that would last for a 1000 hours.) :drool:

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah, a Holy Grail question. Lots of info out there about this so you should find something. In the mean time . . .

Do you mean in terms of output or intent of design? If you are looking for the latter the Gladius is intended for "tactical" situations but I'm not certain that it's the same output as a Scorpion or Surefire incan. Surefire makes some weapon lights that are LED but I don't recall a hand held unit that they recommend for "tactical" engagement.

OTOH, there are a lot of really bright modded LED lights. You should get a lot of different opinions on both LED lights and the "true" meaning of "tactical".

Good luck on your quest and welcome to CPF!
-LT

mini14jac

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the welcome.

By "tactical", I'm talking about super-bright output, similar to a Scorpion or Surefire.
The other features, compact, tail switch, etc., are nice, but if it's not really bright, it doesn't do the job.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Entrope said:
Hmm, I think the L6 fits in. M3 body with KL6 head.

I've got a M3 with a MN11 bulb and an L6, there's no comparison. Also tried it against a G2Z w/P61 no contest, and finally a Scorpion which was closer. I like my L6 and it puts out a lot of light. I guess it just depends on your definition of "tactical" and your actually use. YMMV.

-LT

kennyj

Enlightened
If you want insane amounts of light from an LED you really need to go with a beefy Lux-V or a heavily-overdriven Lux-III. From Surefire, this basically means the L2 or U2 for 100 or 80+ lumens, respectively. Note that both (LuxVs) are really meant for up-close blinding; they don't have the throw of the LuxIII or incandescents, but up close they're scorchers.

If you're willing to look at a custom solution, you can try out McGizmo's Aleph series - an Aleph 1 or 3 head with a high-flux LuxV and DB917 on a 3X123 body (three CR123 cells) will compete with the U2 quite well, and offer additional flexibility (only two brightness levels instead of 6, though.)

There's also the Gladius, estimated at 90+ lumens, which should (with its LuxIII) out-throw the Aleph 1 LuxVs and the Surefire L2 & U2, and which has a strobe feature that should work quite well as a source of confusion (don't expect to be able to do anything more coordinated than running away while using it, though.)

There are just the scorchers practical for everyday use; you can blind with less, and there's also more that you can pack if you so choose. ElektroLumens makes some beefy LED lights that can really pack a wallop, for instance, and if you can deal with something from 50-80 lumens, you can see about a McLuxIII-PD with a custom driver, the HDS EDC Ultimate series, and Peak LED Solutions's CR123 lights. These fine lights are also economical and small (made with pocket carry in mind, and run on an single CR123 cell.) All of them are based on the LuxIII.

Before you buy, take the time to research factors like the optics involved in the light, the characteristics of the light emitter, etc. Lumens aren't everything, after all. Your personal preferences and purposes are going to dictate the characteristics ideal for your light, and sometimes, features like increased throw can mean that a light with significantly reduced flux will be more useful (and vice versa.)

Don't completely rule out incandescents either. A few particular lights (like the Surefire A2) play by different rules and may be worthy of consideration due to their own unique merits.

Also, you may want to keep an eye on the K2 light emitter, for when it's released. You'll have some options for brighter and/or more efficient lights at that point.

Last edited:

NelsonFlashlites

Enlightened
If you're looking for a light that compares to a Scorpion, you could get a Scorpion... :)

The Scorpion LED with a "1 watt super high-flux Luxeon® LED" is only rated at 42 lumens, though. :(

Welcome to CPF! :wave:

Longbow

Enlightened
A 25 cal. "saturday night special" is a better defense tool than any flashlight, and cheaper than a Gladious. :naughty:

Reddog245

Newly Enlightened
The new Streamlight PT2AA runs 120 lumens in a "tactical" light, and seem to be running in the $45 range. Also looks long enough to hold in a fist and still have metal poking out the ends. Their lithium version is a little brighter for the same green, but uses more expensive batteries. As far as a running definition, it also seems that the "tactical" flashlights also have sharp edges incorporated on the endcaps, to "collect DNA samples" for later evidence, I guess.

Roger999

Enlightened
The new Streamlight PT2AA runs 120 lumens in a "tactical" light, and seem to be running in the $45 range. Also looks long enough to hold in a fist and still have metal poking out the ends. Their lithium version is a little brighter for the same green, but uses more expensive batteries. As far as a running definition, it also seems that the "tactical" flashlights also have sharp edges incorporated on the endcaps, to "collect DNA samples" for later evidence, I guess.
I think the OP already bought the flashlight after 5years......

Latest posts