Nuwai Q3 vs. MadMax Lite RYOJ Heat Issues

pradeep1

Enlightened
My Nuwai Q3 running on a RCR123A gets very hot if left running for like 10 minutes continuously. Whereas, my mini-mag with a MadMaxLite RYOJ sandwich running on 2 2300 mAh NiMH AA batteries puts out more light, runs longer, and does not get hot at all, even when left on for 3 hours.

How is this? You would think that the smaller RYOJ with just the sandwich heatsink enclosed in a mini-mag would be scorching hot, whereas the Q3 with a Lux III wouldn't get so hot.

What gives?

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the RYOJ in the Madmax Lite is being driven at a lower current than the Q3, something like 400 mA compared to 800 to 1000 mA in the Q3 with RCR123, so you are getting somehting like twice the heat generation, which given lights of the same size light means the Q3 would stabilize at somewhere close to twice the number of degrees above room temperature (many assumptions made here). A minimag probably has a greater radiative surface than a Q3 too, so may dispose of heat better.

As far as brightness, the RYOJ is a pretty efficient bin - lots of light for the current, while the Q3 frequently has a Luxeon from a bin of inferior efficiency.

Still, I would expect the Q3 on an R123 would put out somewhat more light than the MMLite with RYOJ, but your mileage may vary.

pradeep1

Enlightened
Yeah, I think I have something like an SX1J bin on my Q3, which is a slightly **** green and dim bin. But it gets almost too hot to touch if left on.

Thanks for your thoughts....makes sense now.

Krit

Enlightened
If you like QIII body and light color from RY0J. You probaly switch between light engine from minimag. The MM lite will give long runtime and cool temp operate from 123a battery but may not suit for R123a battery. I think the MM lite efficiency is higher than stock QIII circuit. I have QIII which change emitter to TW0J and Nextgen500. It's very cool QIII for me.