LEDs powered by main voltage

glire

Enlightened
Did someone tried to put LEDs in series and connect them directly to a wall plug?

Just a rectifier is needed (rated for 400V), a 8000 Ohm resistor (5W), and 50 white LEDs in series. Under 230V AC they would lead 20mA max.
Divide those numbers by ~2 under 110V AC.

A more efficient way would be to make a small set:
3 white LEDs in series, a 330 resistor and a capacitor (in parallel)
then put ~20 of these sets in series and plug to the 230V (or ~10 in 110V AC, don't forget the rectifier).

What do you think?

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
the led's, current inrush limiting resister and the capacitor to be the actual power resister is exactly whats in most LED nightlights. I've actually built a few circuits like that (adding in a fuse for safety) and if you search the boards here for LED nightlights you'll find that people have actually produced the boards necessary to make them.

Putting a whole bunch in series works just fine too, afterall thats what LED christmas bulb sets are :) the only thing wrong with that is that they flicker horribly to my eye. I would rather run shorter strings off of a DC power supply.

glire

Enlightened
Thanks for your answer.

I tried a search and couldn't find any post using words "nightlight LED board" :(
Could someone point me directly to some posts?

Thanks again

davidefromitaly

Enlightened
i don't like to see the 80% of the energy dissipated by the resistor... :( i prefer to use something like 50 leds in series and a little resistor-bridgeconverter-capacitor...