A2 (50 lumens) vs. 6P (65 lumens) - difference?

boostmiser

Newly Enlightened
And I going to see a noticable difference in output and throw between these two lights? I have the 6P and just bought an A1 on line. And while I prefer rechargeables, I'm thinking the A2 is going to be my light of choice because it's regulated. Unless, that is, it's not very bright.

matthewdanger

Enlightened
I don't think you will be dissapointed with the output of the A2. It is likely under-rated by Surefire.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't had the time to compare it against a 6P/P60 lamp, but I can tell you that the "50 lumen" A2 hands the 60-lumen E2e its rear on a platter, and in fact, I am stacking it up against ridiculously unfair competition - I'm comparing it against my P90 with 105 lumens!

This is the mind bending part of the A2, it is so much more capable than it would otherwise seem.

boostmiser

Newly Enlightened
Cool. I suppose it's all in the regulation?
So you are saying it might just be brighter than my Stion as well?

Last edited:

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Possibly. The best thing I like about the regulator is that it keeps the brightness going, even after competing incandescents - even other SF models - have dimmed.

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
My 6P is brighter than my A2s for about 5-10 minutes. After that the 6P's output gradually falls below the A2's. You will only see 65 lumens from a 6P in the first few minutes. I don't see a whole lot of difference in throw between the two.

Scott

WDR65

Enlightened
I do believe mine was at least very close to as bright as my Strion with a better beam and one that stayed white throughout. By the way I recently read something where it was said that the Strion's 80 lumen output may be a bit overrated. It compared more to my E2d with the MN03 lamp then it did to a P60 at least to my eyes, although it would outthrow both of them.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
My C2/P60 outthrows the A2 on fresh cells. As has been pointed out this situation does not last long as the C2 output starts to drop.

The best thing about the A2 is the incan regulation. After about an hour it is the same while my C2 or your 6P will be toast.

Second best thing about the A2 is the soft start feature which all but eliminates the possibility of an instaflash of the lamp.

Now for all the Surefire engineers, who I know read all of my posts, A WISH:

Model A1, really an A2 without the LEDs. Price point around $125. Clickie tailcap. I also believe the beam would be even better and the throw longer if the LED holes in the reflector were not there.

No charge for the design advice, just make it.

Mark

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flash_Gordon said:
Model A1, really an A2 without the LEDs. Price point around $125. Clickie tailcap. I also believe the beam would be even better and the throw longer if the LED holes in the reflector were not there.

Better still, if you're going to lose the LEDs and two stage, make it a 1.13" (not too big and bulky like a 1.25") bezel conversion for existing Executive-series lights. Longer throw, regulation, nicer beam. Since the R&D work on the LVR has already been done and paid for..

And you can then use any official E-series tailcap. Great way to add some extra BITE to the E-series.

matthewdanger

Enlightened
KevinL said:
Better still, if you're going to lose the LEDs and two stage, make it a 1.13" (not too big and bulky like a 1.25") bezel conversion for existing Executive-series lights. Longer throw, regulation, nicer beam. Since the R&D work on the LVR has already been done and paid for..

And you can then use any official E-series tailcap. Great way to add some extra BITE to the E-series.

:takeit:

Surefire are you listening???

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love this idea. Although I'm also a little conflicted: won't a Lux III shine as brightly and throw as well as an incandescent? I keep asking myself why continue to buy incandescents...

WDR65

Enlightened
I could be wrong, but I don't believe that Lux III will outthrow an incandescent. All of my two cell lithium incandescents will outthrow any of the luxeons I own. I have an new generation KL1 and KL3 and even my MN02 lamp for an E series will outthrow them at least to my eyes. Regulation would just make these lights that much more awesome then they already are.

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joe Talmadge writes, "I'm also a little conflicted: won't a Lux III shine as brightly and throw as well as an incandescent? I keep asking myself why continue to buy incandescents..."

Lumens are lumens in clear air. The catch is that the air is not often clear. Shorter wavelengths have a tremendous amound of backscatter (increases as the 4th power of frequency) compared to longer wavelengths. Translation: whiter lights scatter more against haze, fog, and other aerosols. Incans, with their predominantly longer wavelengths, produce less backscatter.

Here is a pic that illustrates the problem with backscatter really well. Notice that you can hardly see through the beam. If the light were yellow or red, the beam would be almost invisible by comparison.
vss3072305as8cr.jpg

The source is this thread:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/92396

Of course, I don't see why you can't replicate a warm incan beam with an LED.

Scott

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

Flashlight Enthusiast
^Almost looks like a star wars light sabre! ;)

Anyway, yes I agrees with the gentlemen that says Surefire should make REGULATED C and E series.

I'll take it one step further and says that the Surefire should make regulated M Series too!

Price will go up, but to me its worth it to have constant output for an hour.

socom45

Newly Enlightened
that is one light I'll have to say. I have the 3w led drop in by bugout gear in my 6p, and it's about 85 lumens I was told...I know it's really bright.

SIM37

Newly Enlightened
socom45 said:
that is one light I'll have to say. I have the 3w led drop in by bugout gear in my 6p, and it's about 85 lumens I was told...I know it's really bright.

I also have the BOG 3w drop in but I don't think its as bright as the stock P60?