Just Bought New Inova Microlight!

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
micro-trans-wh.jpg

Hello,

I just bought the NEW iNOVA microlight and have now had time to look it over in more detail.

i like it a lot more than the previous model... I had been buying a lot of the previous models since I've been at basic training in the army... it went everywhere i went and it came in REALLY handy....

However, I have noticed with the previous model it wasn't built like a tank by any means, and it seemed that through only a couple of weeks of light use the light would begin to dim quite a bit. Also, the switchs would turn sour really quickly. The momentary push switch would stop functioning... and the constant on would go on and off in the on position.

The new light allows for the light to be launched into 3 differnet modes. High power continuous, low power continuous and strobe continuous. You select through these options by simply pressing the botton 1, 2, or 3 times in the same order as the last sentence. The light can also be put back into signal mode (the mode that stays on only as long as you hold the botton) by just holding the button while in strobe model for 5 seconds.

The light seems a lot brighter than the previous versions with more flood and throw. The two options of high and low power are really nice. The strobe function I think is sort of gimmicie but it is fun. The strobe isn't anywhere near as fast as say the Gladius by NightOps, but it does flash 2 or 3 times a second. The switch on this light is much more 'clicky' and solid feeling than the old version that felt more like mush. I hope this is a good sign and I find out that the light is more tough and can stand up to more punishment than the last. But at $8.00 a pop, its a heck of a deal.

I feel really bad not being able to get quantitative data on this light but I'm sure soon there will be really excellent reviews.

Thanks for reading,

Jared, NE

matthewdanger

Enlightened
I picked up one with a red LED at Target for 6.97 (I think). They are a fantastic deal in the keychain light category.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I almost got one, except I'm prejudiced against lights that require lots of button pushes to turn them off.

matthewdanger

Enlightened
LowBat said:
I almost got one, except I'm prejudiced against lights that require lots of button pushes to turn them off.

If the light stays in any 1 mode for 2 seconds or more it only requires one click to turn it off.

MVB

Newly Enlightened
LowBat said:

I don't have mine with me to check this out, but my memory says that you only need one click to turn it off if it has been on for more than a couple of seconds. (The same as the Photon Freedom.) Which means, unfortunately, that if you turn it on in high mode and later decide that you want to drop down to low you have to click once for off, and then twice to get high power followed by low power. The PT keychain light (which I forget the name of at the moment) has the go-through-all-the-modes-to-get-to-off sequence that you don't like, and I'm not fond of it either.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
matthewdanger said:
If the light stays in any 1 mode for 2 seconds or more it only requires one click to turn it off.
Hey now I like that! I wonder how the output compares to the Photon Freedom which has spoiled me into accepted nothing dimmer (well maybe $7 will sell me).

Side Note: Anyone know how to post smiley icons in our messages since the CPF makeover?

matthewdanger

Enlightened
LowBat said:
Hey now I like that! I wonder how the output compares to the Photon Freedom which has spoiled me into accepted nothing dimmer (well maybe $7 will sell me).

Side Note: Anyone know how to post smiley icons in our messages since the CPF makeover?

My Freedom is not a 2x model (at least I think it isn't), so I can't really comment on that. I will say that the white ones I played with in the store were pretty bright. They are certainly a fantastic value in the coin cell keychain light market.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a white one yesterday at Target for about $7. I like it. The it's almost as bright as Photon2x and brighter than Inf Ultra.

I don't like the translucent case because of the excessive (to me) sidespill and glare. The old style with the opague case shields the led much like a Photon covert, but does provide more flood than the Photon. Maybe an opague case will come along in the near future.

Good light and good value as far as I'm concerned.

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know for sure whether the white model uses the Nichia CS LEDs or not?

Ok- I couldn't resist getting one of these since I was a fan of the old microlight (but I agree that the 2 switches did flake out after a bit of use). While the new one looks the same as the old one at first glance, it actually has several differences (obviously other than the new modes). The plastic used is still translucent, but slightly more opaque than the original translucent versions. It's a bit longer and bigger overall when viewed straight on, most likely to accomodate the microprocessor. Its a tiny bit thinner in depth, however, most likely since the constant on switch is no longer needed. The battery door now opens from the back as opposed to the old way of lifting up the rubber momentary switch. The switch has a firm clicky positive action, but it seems like it might be a bit too easy to operate- it may come on in your pocket accidentally. Thankfully, Inova included a 4 minute auto-shutoff on high (something I always wished LRI would do). As mentioned by others, the microprocessor operates much like many headlamps- high, low, blink if you click within a certain brief time and after that, if you click again the light turns off. For me personally, its a pretty good way to do it. I can't tell if these use the CS LEDs as asked in my above question, but they just might- it seems pretty bright on high. The beam has the characteristic Nichia 5mm blue but is surprisingly artifact free. I was able to try them all in the store and picked the whitest one. My only major complaint is that there doesn't even seem to be an attempt at water resistance- there are gaps around the LED and under the battery door.

Overall, I think this light is a great value considering its microprocessor controlled for only $7. I figure I'll try it on my keyring for a little while and see how it fares in terms of durability and runtime.

Last edited:

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Solstice said:
I figure this thread deserves a bump- should have just started a new post with all of that rather than editing ;).
What's the battery door like? Does it require a tiny screwdriver to open, or is it really simply to change the battery?

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I've had an "original" Inova microlight on my keychain for some time now and it's holding up great. The momentary switch is a snap dome like you see on membrane switch keypads - typically good for at least a million clicks.

It's not as tough as, say, the "tough" keychain LED that CountyComm is selling, but it's tougher than most.

If the new design is like the original, a jewler's screwdriver might be useful for removing the battery compartment door, but long fingernails and paperclips also work.

matthewdanger

Enlightened
I keep my finger nails cut short and I was able to pop the battery compartment open with no effort at all.

BlackDecker

Enlightened
Thanks for posting that review. I have a Innova Microlight on my keychain, and I like the recessed LED. The two CR2016 batteries are easy to change; no tools are necessary.

I like it much better than the Princeton Tec keychain light (came free with my PT Aurora) I gave to my daughter.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Solstice said:
Does anyone know for sure whether the white model uses the Nichia CS LEDs or not?

Ok- I couldn't resist getting one of these since I was a fan of the old microlight (but I agree that the 2 switches did flake out after a bit of use). While the new one looks the same as the old one at first glance, it actually has several differences (obviously other than the new modes). The plastic used is still translucent, but slightly more opaque than the original translucent versions. It's a bit longer and bigger overall when viewed straight on, most likely to accomodate the microprocessor. Its a tiny bit thinner in depth, however, most likely since the constant on switch is no longer needed. The battery door now opens from the back as opposed to the old way of lifting up the rubber momentary switch. The switch has a firm clicky positive action, but it seems like it might be a bit too easy to operate- it may come on in your pocket accidentally. Thankfully, Inova included a 4 minute auto-shutoff on high (something I always wished LRI would do). As mentioned by others, the microprocessor operates much like many headlamps- high, low, blink if you click within a certain brief time and after that, if you click again the light turns off. For me personally, its a pretty good way to do it. I can't tell if these use the CS LEDs as asked in my above question, but they just might- it seems pretty bright on high. The beam has the characteristic Nichia 5mm blue but is surprisingly artifact free. I was able to try them all in the store and picked the whitest one. My only major complaint is that there doesn't even seem to be an attempt at water resistance- there are gaps around the LED and under the battery door.

Overall, I think this light is a great value considering its microprocessor controlled for only $7. I figure I'll try it on my keyring for a little while and see how it fares in terms of durability and runtime.

I also agree that they should have done something for water resistance purposes... I remember when I was at basictraining... Some people would take showers with thiers attached to their dog tags, they would hold up for about a week worth of showering before it died out. Given the price of the light you could just buy a new one if one gets wet but I like the idea of not being without light if it does get a little wet.

I would assume that the new one maybe more subceptible to h20 due to the new model not having very good seals at all and there being more electronics.

Someone want to do a water test with theres? :naughty: lol.

too bad inova didn't learn anything from the countycomm light:

toughledswitch.jpg

if they just used a gasket of some sort to keep the two halves sealed, then put their microprocessor in it. we'd be in bussiness :)

Last edited:

Santelmo

Enlightened
Great "up-close light" which complements my Q3. I've got an original red light one in a translucent body.

My only gripe is that I wish they'd make the clip attachment more secure. I've had attach to my key fob and drop (on two occassions actually, lucky I still have it!) as I was pulling it out from from my jeans.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Santelmo said:
Great "up-close light" which complements my Q3. I've got an original red light one in a translucent body.

My only gripe is that I wish they'd make the clip attachment more secure. I've had attach to my key fob and drop (on two occassions actually, lucky I still have it!) as I was pulling it out from from my jeans.

interesting... i've never had a problem with mine.... tonight i was using the clip to get the light to stand upright... it works pretty well for hands free illuniation of an area.

MVB

Newly Enlightened
LowBat said:
What's the battery door like? Does it require a tiny screwdriver to open, or is it really simply to change the battery?
The instructions say "Insert ball-point or pointed tool to pop-open cover."

Then again, the package also says "Impact and water resistant case" and that seems to be at odds with observation. I can see the o-ring around the LED on my Photon Freedom (even though it has an opaque case), but on the Microlight I don't see any seals other than the rubber switch cover. It seems to be relying on "tight fitting components" to provide water resistance . . . :ohgeez:

Also, per the instructions, the delay before the next button press turns the light off is 2 seconds. Also, last night I timed it in high power mode and it does turn off after 4 minutes.