the new yahoo mp3 service seems to good to be true

raggie33

*the raggedier*
if i understand it ya get unlimented songs for only 5 bucks per month .thats a wild deal

Saaby

Flashaholic
It's a tricky situation. I might be getting ripped off at 99 cents a song, but at least I can legally keep my songs forever. There are ways around the DRM, but with Yahoo's service once you stop paying your $5 you've just lost all those songs.

If I invest $60 in iTunes track (Same as a year of Yahoo! service) than I've got at least 60 songs that are legally mine for life. If iTunes raises the price of tracks, I can stop and keep what I've got.

If Yahoo raises their monthly subscription cost, you have either got to start paying them more to continue to legally use your tracks, or loose all your music.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
darn should of known i missunderstood it .dang well its still kinda good i guess btw how would ya music player know when to turn off the music i guess it has to be a certain kind? mine has no date on it

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I take it you have to use their special player. Hmm. That sucks. Well you could always take the output and record it into a wav, then re-encode to mp3... :p

Saaby

Flashaholic
You could Isaac, but then you'll illegal again, which is just 1 step up from downloading.

There's an expiration date in the music Raggie. You have to hook your music player up to your computer every now and again. I think you could keep playing it on your player after it expires on your computer, but eventually you'll hook your player up to your computer and at that time your music will expire.

paulr

Flashaholic
Raggie. Go to magnatunes.com. You get all the mp3's you want (128mb fixed bitrate) for FREE. If you want VBR or Ogg Vorbis or FLAC or WAV those are available by paid download but it's all licensed so you can share personal copies non-commercially. I have a bunch of their discs and if you want I'll burn a cd-rom and send it to you. Yes it's legal, because of how their licensing works. The RIAA is just useless.

Other than that, emusic.com used to be pretty good but I think they're not so good now.