How to start a campfire with your Thor-x

RalphRussell

Newly Enlightened
I tried this with an 35w HID and it didn't work. I was amazed to find that it DID work with my 100w Thor-x. It is a bit contrived. The lens is 5 inches in diameter and I focused the hot spot on a black area of the paper bag. Does anyone understand the science of why this doesn't work with a much brighter 35w HID?
thinking.gif

pict00012pj.jpg

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
What Bart says.
You can feel the difference by putting your hand in from of the Thor and then the HID.
Incans radiate a lot of IR.

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, the reason it doesn't work with the HID is the same reason the HID can be so much brighter without killing the runtime. More of the energy going in comes out as light rather than (as with the Thor) some light and heaps of heat. Blackbody radiation and all that.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow, 5 inch lens. Is it asphyrical? Have you tried a luxeon III shining through that? That would be luxeon-laser!!!

CLHC

Flashaholic
Seems like I can get more of a "hand-warmer" effect with my SF M6 than with either the MagHID or C-HID. . .

My father borrowed my 6P (w/P61 HOLA) and thinking that he turned it off, put it down on the placemat on the table. I don't know for how long it was there, but when I came to the room I could smell something "smoking" if you will. I noticed the 6P and picked it up (really warm to touch) and saw that the placemat was "scorched" and a black charred marring had already occurred! WHOOOPS! ! ! Not a good thing to happen but man! Now I know that the P61 can put out some heat when it's in a closed proximic to a surface. . .Reason for that warning card Sure Fire puts in each box.

Just thought to relate that along these lines because of being reminded by that picture that's posted at the outset.

SIM37

Newly Enlightened
CHC said:
Seems like I can get more of a "hand-warmer" effect with my SF M6 than with either the MagHID or C-HID. . .

My father borrowed my 6P (w/P61 HOLA) and thinking that he turned it off, put it down on the placemat on the table. I don't know for how long it was there, but when I came to the room I could smell something "smoking" if you will. I noticed the 6P and picked it up (really warm to touch) and saw that the placemat was "scorched" and a black charred marring had already occurred! WHOOOPS! ! ! Not a good thing to happen but man! Now I know that the P61 can put out some heat when it's in a closed proximic to a surface. . .Reason for that warning card Sure Fire puts in each box.

Just thought to relate that along these lines because of being reminded by that picture that's posted at the outset.

Well, there's a story on the surefire website one user described how he used his SF to kill mosquitoes by shining on them on the wall and for some reason, they'll not move and then he just moves his light to cover the poor insect till it cooks to death.

There's also another account of how somebody used his surefire to "unfreeze" a frozen lock

Spacemarine

Enlightened
RalphRussell said:
I tried this with an 35w HID and it didn't work. I was amazed to find that it DID work with my 100w Thor-x.

I think you gave the answer to yourself already with that statement. 100W is about 3 times as much as 35W, meaning 100W heats an object about 3 times as fast as 35W.

bole64

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, i have impressed some neighbors on my floor by melting a red plastic cup with the m6. It took about 2 min and there was significant melting. I had it placed about .5 inches away form the cup. I have also made a black postet note smoke after about 45 seconds.

tb2776

Newly Enlightened
RalphRussell said:
I tried this with an 35w HID and it didn't work. I was amazed to find that it DID work with my 100w Thor-x. It is a bit contrived. The lens is 5 inches in diameter and I focused the hot spot on a black area of the paper bag. Does anyone understand the science of why this doesn't work with a much brighter 35w HID?
thinking.gif

pict00012pj.jpg
<P>
Actually, to start a camp fire you just need a 9 volt battery and some steel wool. Gather a small clump of dried materials (leaves, grasses, sticks, dead branches). Then lower the 9 volt so the terminals are right over the clump. Bring in the steel wool, touching the terminals and the clump of materials. In a few minutes the sparks from the steel wool and battery will cause the dried materials to catch on fire. It's an old boy scout trick.

twentysixtwo

Enlightened
I can start newspaper on fire with my Mag85......Smoke within 2-3 seconds. You have to focuse it for short range (wide angle actually)

Robt

Newly Enlightened
You guys think that is AMAZING? Else where in this forum I posted a message ( i forgot where!?) .. I was watching a science program about the history of solar power and the story of Academies (Did i spell the name right?) The dude who live back in the Roman Empire days. A prehistoric scientist in his day who help save the people from incoming ships by having the soldiers buffed up their shields into like mirrors and reflect the suns rays on the ships setting them on FIRE!

Later in the program, there's a guy in New Mexico who took a Search Light, those big lights used for Grand Openings and convert it into a solar power laser and put a YAG laser rod, cooling system in the center of focus and had a fiber optic tube that "bends". He pointed the beam at 5 boards one behind the other and the boards were 100 feet away and burned holes thru all the boards within seconds! It was awe aspiring program to watch, especially the solar powered YAG laser. I wonder if any of you guys watched it? Robt

Last edited:

auriga

Newly Enlightened
Robt said:
A prehistoric scientist in his day who help save the people from incoming ships by having the soldiers buffed up their shields into like mirrors and reflect the suns rays on the ships setting them on FIRE!
They tested that one in an episode of Mythbusters, don't remember which one. The conclusion was: MYTH BUSTED.

auriga

Newly Enlightened
Just found it, it's from the season 2 episode: Ancient Death Ray
Here's some more information:
The Myth: Did Archimedes set fire to the Roman fleet with a solar powered death ray?

The Experts: Dr. Heather Joseph Witham says that even though Archimedes was a real person who invented many interesting things, the story of the death ray didn't even surface until eight hundred years after he lived, and so has been debated ever since.

Robt

Newly Enlightened
Could someone please tell me what a "Thor-X" flashlight is? Yes, i'm a newbie and i don't understand all the CandlePower Forum lingo jive talk here. What is "Thor-x" ?? where does one get it at? etc. etc. At another webpage at this CPF (CandlePowerForum) I read posts about other flashlights with letters like "CS" or "Tek", what are these? thanks guys.. Dan, please don't delete this cause i'm not making any inflammatory remarks about or against cops! I had 2 misfortunes that happened to me several years ago and i was in jail for something i NEVER did and some 17 yr old causing serious trouble for my wife & I . Robt.

Last edited:

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
bole64 said:
Yeah, i have impressed some neighbors on my floor by melting a red plastic cup with the m6. It took about 2 min and there was significant melting. I had it placed about .5 inches away form the cup. I have also made a black postet note smoke after about 45 seconds.

I would have looked innocent and asked why more of the energy was not being used in the visible light spectrum.

It's like drag racers lifting the frount end. It might look cool (or hot) but wastes energy.

RalphRussell

Newly Enlightened
Robt said:

"Could someone please tell me what a "Thor-X" flashlight is?"

It's a lantern style flashlight (big and heavy). I got mine on eBay as "factory recertified". It uses a sealed lead acid battery and 100w halogen bulb. It is very innefficient but very bright. It says 10,000,000 candle power on the side but don't believe it. That number is inflated. The inefficiency is why I can start a fire with it. You can get these for a very reasonable price on eBay. You can still see the one I bought on eBay. Look at closed item # 5233951545.

I also think there is an ever brighter version that says 15,000,000 candle power but I know nothing about that one!

I know what you mean about the buzzwords. What does EDC stand for?