Exploding Flashlights?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

**DONOTDELETE**

I have noticed for some time that my Trek-2 has a little pellet in it. After reading all the posts around here I have gathered that this is some kind of scrubber which is supposed to remove hydrogen gases that can accumulate in very water-tight flashlights.

What I dont understand is just how bad a problem is this? Are these flashlights capable of exploding and causing bodily injury if the catalyst is removed? Or is the danger simply that you could ruin your flashlight? Or are the gasses simply toxic and need to be removed for that reason? Also does the pellet need to be replaced periodically? I dont imagine it would last forever.

SurefireM6

Enlightened
I would imagine that if the light did not need it, the company would not spend the extra money to put it in there. That's another expense to them.

That said, the pellet rattle is really really annoying me!

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a Platinum catalyst, isn't it ? I read somewhere that retail, they are ~$6 each.

Do they wear out ? I thought that they renewed themselves when the light was opened to the air.

The only one I've seen was stuck firmly inside the torch (an 8NX ? ). I suppose you could possibly secure it by fixing a short piece of braided flex over it, glued both sides, so as not to get glue on or occlude the surface.
Would this cause any problems ?

lightlover
confused.gif
rolleyes.gif
smile.gif
wink.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Guess I shouldnt ask questions before doing a websearch. I found this one site: http://www.usfa.fema.gov/alerts/flashlgt.htm

Looks like they can explode although the injury reports dont seem too bad. I dont see anything about anyone loosing a hand or anything.

Seems to warn against the Super SabreLight...

Status
Not open for further replies.