FourSevens        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which River Rock light at Target

Flashaholic

Sigh Which River Rock light at Target

Which River Rock light do you suggest? My local Target has the 2C, 2AA, and 2AAA. Comments and suggestions please. Are there reviews of any of these lights?

Default Re: Which River Rock light at Target

All of the "Target" threads are full of reviews...and many link back to the original models such as the 2xAAA going back to the Nuwai .5 watt model.

IMO, of the four I considered, the 2C is oversized and the lantern needs a dimmer function while the 2xAA 1.5 Jupiter/Aurora and the .5 2xAAA are winners.

Flashaholic

The 2AAA is starting to come out a winner. Here is my review:

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=92554

I concur on the 2AAA.

It alone among the handheld models has a reflector. The 2AA and 2C have optics which I understand do throw well but have zero spill. This is also quite puzzling however. At the same time I bought the 2AAA I also got the Inova Radiant 2AAA and IT has an optic. It also has great spill??????

Anyhow the 2AAA River Rock only lacks a clickie to be a GREAT flashlight!
    http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/2640/usflaghalfmastmdwht.gif

PBJS

Thumbs up Re: Which River Rock light at Target

Definitely 2aaa.

I love mine- it's just the right size to clip to the inside of your pants pocket for EDC and not too small that you can't hold it. As far as the momentary switch- I like it just fine since I only have have to turn the light on for several seconds at a time when peering into a copier to check it out while servicing it. If you need the light on for longer than a few seconds, then just turn the tailcap. If I needed the light on longer on a regular basis, I would actually prefer a clickie switch.

All in all- a great little regulated LED light for 10 bucks! Not many like that out there for this price.

Enlightened

I also bought the River Rock 2AA and 2AAA lights at Target. My pick is definitely the .5W 2AAA.

I am really dissappointed with the 2AA light. Bluish "moonbeam" spot with no sidespill, similar to the old Princton Tech 4AA Nichia lights - and not that much brighter. The 2AAA puts out more useable light, and it's only ten bucks!

Actually, anybody that likes the RR 2AA light would think the Element 3AAA lights from Sam's club are virtual searchlights by comparison. I don't know if I just got really good ones or what, but they really light up my back yard.

Quote Originally Posted by PlayboyJoeShmoe
    I concur on the 2AAA.

It alone among the handheld models has a reflector. The 2AA and 2C have optics which I understand do throw well but have zero spill. This is also quite puzzling however. At the same time I bought the 2AAA I also got the Inova Radiant 2AAA and IT has an optic. It also has great spill??????

Anyhow the 2AAA River Rock only lacks a clickie to be a GREAT flashlight!
    The Inova Radiant 2xAAA doesn't have an optic, it has a reflector and a strangely LONG emitter with a tip that looks like an optic at a quick glance.
    "Notorious collector of things that glow, shine, or blink"
    CPF # 9435

Quote Originally Posted by George1
    Which River Rock light do you suggest? My local Target has the 2C, 2AA, and 2AAA. Comments and suggestions please. Are there reviews of any of these lights?
    George1, welcome aboard and as they say here... hang on to your wallet!

There are tons of commentary about these lights (I should know, I found 'em first ). Do a search on Target and/or Jupiter.

Helping you choose a light really depends on what real world application you plan on using them for.

You might want to glance at some of the other threads, including my real world field report at http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=92341

Mostly the common advice here... buy 'em all!
    "Notorious collector of things that glow, shine, or blink"
    CPF # 9435

Quote Originally Posted by srvctec
    Definitely 2aaa.All in all- a great little regulated LED light for 10 bucks! Not many like that out there for this price.
    Roy's runtime charts show that the Nuwai 2AAA .5w River Rock 2AAA twin is NOT regulated well with alkalines. It has a much flatter discharge with lithiums. Another runtime chart on the River Rock confirms that it is not well regulated with alkalines. Even so, I still like my Nuwai versions that I've had since January and I EDC one clipped to my pants pocket with the clip turned around for bezel down carry. The only other River Rock light I've tried is the 2AAA headlamp, which I also recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by LightObsession
    Roy's runtime charts show that the Nuwai 2AAA .5w River Rock 2AAA twin is NOT regulated well with alkalines. It has a much flatter discharge with lithiums. Another runtime chart on the River Rock confirms that it is not well regulated with alkalines. Even so, I still like my Nuwai versions that I've had since January and I EDC one clipped to my pants pocket with the clip turned around for bezel down carry. The only other River Rock light I've tried is the 2AAA headlamp, which I also recommend.
    If it's NOT regulated ,then we have a case of false advertising. See this photo- it states right on the package that it is regulated.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Spectrum

I am really dissappointed with the 2AA light. Bluish "moonbeam" spot with no sidespill, similar to the old Princton Tech 4AA Nichia lights - and not that much brighter. The 2AAA puts out more useable light, and it's only ten bucks!
    I guess it depends on your definition of "useable light" but the 2AA is in a whole nother class in terms of brightness. The tint of both lights is comparable (both are somewhat blue, but my 2AAA is bluer) but the beam patterns are totally different. The 2AAA might make a better EDC, but only the 2AA will be able to show you what's going on across the yard.

I am guessing at the price the 2AAA lights just have a boost circuit as the graphs I have seen seem to show no regulation off alkalines and the normal flatness associated with nimh/lithiums vs a near flat line with regulated lights dropping off a cliff.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

Quote Originally Posted by srvctec
    If it's NOT regulated ,then we have a case of false advertising. See this photo- it states right on the package that it is regulated.
    ]
    It's the same misrepresentation that many LED light manufacturers and marketers indulge in. The output is more like semi-regulated. It's definately not constant output throughout the life of the battery when using alkalines.

The package states "Provides Maximum Light Ouput throughout Entire Battery Life". I guess that this is true in that the light output is the maximum that the batteries will allow until the batteries die, but the maximum light output diminishes as the batteries deplete. If interpreted this way, this statement could be true for almost any flashlight and wouldn't be false advertising, even if it is misleading.

Boost is a form of regulation...and as Solstice said...it throws! I think the 2AA is worth keeping just for that.

Flashaholic*

I bought the 2AA River Rock 1.5w Jupiter flashlight at Target today. As mentioned above, it has a magnifier lens to focus the beam. It's a great spotlight, but almost has zero spill.

I think the 2AAA River Rock is the best light of the 3, but then I like some sidespill to my flashlights.

If the regulation in these Nuwai lights is anything like the regulation in the Costco 2AA, it works like this:

The boost circuit is a voltage regulating boost circuit, although the regulation is not perfectly constant. For every 1 V the source drops, the output drops about 0.16 V. Given the voltage discharge curve of alkaline batteries and the current/voltage curve of the LEDs, using alkaline batteries there will be some noticeable dimming over the life of the batteries, though not nearly so much as you'd see in a direct drive or resistored light. Using NiMH batteries, the light output curve will be almost perfectly flat.

The other effect of using a voltage regulating boost circuit is that variations in the LEDs' Vf will make a big difference in light output between flashlights.

It's easy to look for this kind of behavior in the flashlight if you can get a voltage measurement of the LED in different lights and by varying the number of batteries.

Well, in reality the boost circuit's voltage input/output function is more complicated than a straight line. The most important thing is that the output voltage is nearly constant for a range of input voltages.

Flashaholic

Smile Re: Which River Rock light at Target

Thank you to all who responded with comments/suggestions. I purchased two of the lights - River Rock 2C and 2AAA. I do like the AAA for the size, weight, and features. Build quality is OK - especially given the price.

Does anyone have comments about the 2C???

I remember it was huge...

Flashaholic

Yes, it is roughly as long as the 2AA, heavier, and larger in diameter. The beam is perfectly round with no spill.

Flashaholic

I just purchased the 2AA today for my new "backyard at night" light. I like it thus far. It's spot is much better than my PT Impact and my Inova X1.
    I believe that the 2C, given it's size and weight, would be a great light that could also be utilized as a self-defense tool in a pinch. Not like a Mag-lite, but holding it like a yawara stick. The 2AA could also serve this purpose.
    SFG2,M3,6P,G2Z,L4,SLTT2d,TT2l,TL2,TL3,TL2LED,NF2,
    Scrp,pro/pol3n,4aa,3AALUX,PT40/surge/blast/rage/impact/XL/LW2100,3K,4K,CMGReactor,PM6,Legend LX,InovaXO3,XO1,Mags(2-6D)Browning 6V Xenon

I'm still hoping to see someone review the combo 3 LED/Kyrpton or whatever it is. It's like a Twin Task or the Brownings...

Flashaholic

Thumbs up Re: Which River Rock light at Target

Well...I'm a big fan of the .5watt 2 AAA model. I think it's a huge value. It still impresses me how bright this little thing is. Worth having one in each of your vehicles. Really...what can you buy for $10..that works as well as this little light?

I've now got 2 of the .5 watt 2XAAA...one black, one silver. Great little lights...especially for $10 bucks.

I also tried out the 3 led/krypton combo...I was very disappointed. I just didn't see the point. The 3 led's were brighter than the krypton...at least to my eyes. And if they draw less on the batteries why would you ever want/need to run the krypton? Overall I felt it was a waste of my time and took it back.

I have to concur...I just picked up the 2AAA last night. Very nice...marginally longer than the Dorcy 1AAA and only 3 bucks more expensive, with much better fit and finish and brightness.

Quote Originally Posted by Nasty
    I remember it was huge...
    The 2C River Rock isn't that huge. It's obviously wider than the 2 AA model, but it's smaller than a 2C Mag. I came close to getting the 2AA model, but the 2C was advertised as having longer run time, plus I kinda like having a hefty flashlight at home or in the car. The 2AAA on the other end, is just about the perfect size for EDC carry and is surprisingly bright for it's size. The only downside is that it lacks a clickie switch.

Flashaholic*

Flashaholic

Damn you people! Every time I've gone into Target recently, I've come out with even more flashlights! How many flashlights are too many?

Anyway, today's purchase at Target included an Inova microlite (present for relative) and RR 2AAA & RR 2AA flashlights. The microlites are great, a serious improvement over the original Photon lights. I had a Dorcy 1AAA on my keychain, but the build quality of it was always spotty, and the tailcap clip finally gave up the ghost.

The RR 2AAA light will be my next EDC (besides the microlite on my keychain). I LOVE this little light! Bright, great runtime, great construction, great throw & spill. That said, a clickie switch would make this light absolutely ideal. I'd gladly pay $20 let alone $9 for it.

The RR 2AA light is a bit of an oddity to me. I bought it after picking up the RR 4AA Lantern on another Target trip (see, I told you these things keep jumping in my shopping cart every time I'm in Target) and was hoping that it'd be more like a directional lantern type light rather than the harsh spotlight that it is. It's a bit longer than the traditional 2 AA light, but does have a great feel in hand. This is a pure spotlight with no real spill...which is a bit of a disappointment to me. Probably great for long-distance use (ie: outdoors at night), but I'm not sure that it'll be useful to me in equipment racks. Not going to take it back, as it does have a VERY long throw and the spotlight is even with a slightly lighter blue ring around the edge.

Has anyone used the RR2C and RR2AA? Does the 2C have a wider spot than the AA? Actually, for the type of work I do, the best light I've found in awhile are the Dorcy 1 watt 3AAA lights with the reflector unscrewed, a nice close-range flood. BUT, most of my use of flashlights is working in equipment racks and related close-proximity work. I'd love to find more lights like this. I wish they had a 1.5w RR headlamp.

===========
    2 Dorcy 3AAA 1 watt Luxeon
    1 Dorcy 2AA 4 LED
    5 PAL lights of various revisions
    1 Dorcy AAA
    1 Inova Microlite
    4 Energzier 4AA LED lanterns
    1 Energizer 4 D fluorescent lantern
    2 Garity 3AAA 1 LED lights
    Recent acquisitions:
    1 RR 4AA lantern
    1 RR 2AA 1.5w Jupiter
    1 RR 2AAA 0.5w
    Last edited by TPA; 09-25-2005 at 11:12 PM.

I'm deeply in love with the River Rock LED Lantern, i know it's not a flashlight, but it's a perfect tool for power outages, tent light, to read in bed, to walk around the house at night etc. You can't go wrong with a jupiter LED regulated to constant 8 full hours of bright illumination on 4 common AAs, that's cheap light! All that in a waterproof/shockproof enclosure for under 20 bucks.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Outdoors Fanatic
    I'm deeply in love with the River Rock LED Lantern, i know it's not a flashlight, but it's a perfect tool for power outages, tent light, to read in bed, to walk around the house at night etc. You can't go wrong with a jupiter LED regulated to constant 8 full hours of bright illumination on 4 common AAs, that's cheap light! All that in a waterproof/shockproof enclosure for under 20 bucks.
    Oh, c'mon... I already have one, I don't need any additional encouragement to buy a second one. BTW, Who else in here is from New Tampa/Wesley Chapel? I swiped the last RR 2AAA off the shelf today and I know they had a ton of them a week or two ago...
    ========
    Current EDC: Quark Mini AA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast