Click on/off for dorcy AAA led light-LOTS PICS

attowatt

Enlightened
OK,

I got bored and was going to use these switches (digikey EG1872-ND) for another mod( I still am), but noticed that they may work for a dorcy aaa. Pulled apart the tailcap and was trying to figure out how to best secure the switch inside. Well it so happens the switch is a very snug fit inside the main body. Not only that, but the center contacts on this switch (DPDT), are the N.O pin and these are what make contact with (-) battery side(see pics). The switch is rated at 30vdc @.1A so at ~2 volts and using both sides of the switch...well you get the picture, it will handle the current; which is .3A on a fresh battery.

Bend the (C) and (N.C.) pins outward as seen in photo. This is what will make contact with main body tube. I soldered the (C)Common pin to the (N.C) Normally Closed pin JUST for reinforcements. Bend inwards, the 2 center pins and solder; these are the 2 (N.O) pins on the dpdt switch. Normally this is not the case when using a DPDT type switch; I am OK with this as I was just looking for a click on/ click off feature for dorcy. I had to snip the tip of the swich(blue) so it would work with the yellow boot.

The yellow rubber boot was robbed from a garrity incan 2 aa light from walmart. I am sure other substitutes are available

Oh yeah... my tailstand caps still work after the mod. Those are available here:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=89452

$1.22 DPDT Switch here:
http://dkc3.digikey.com/PDF/T053/1323.pdf

attowatt

Enlightened
Although I carry a Q3 with me(hip pouch) it is easier to pull out dorcy when opening door (with keys)at my house at night. This is where the clicky feature is a plus for a small light(when your hands are full of bags/groceries), and it is not tooooo blinding for task close at hand.

Jim

Ledean

Enlightened
Great idea. This is definetely much better than the unreliable original dorcy switch.

attowatt

Enlightened
THIS SWITCH ALSO HAS THE MOMENTARY/TEMPORARY ON WITHOUT ACTUALLY CLICKING IT ON.

It's no surefire clicky switch, but it operates the same way.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I have one of those somewhere. Maybe it's just a momentary from a PC case though.. hmm. Maybe it did click though...

attowatt

Enlightened
Kryosphinx said:
Do these work in a Q3?

I dont think so , as I have tried to mount it on Q3 switch board, but no luck.
Keep in mind this switch is only ON/OFF and NOT a HI/LO/OFF type.

Jim:wave:

Krit

Enlightened
My friends used to mod this switch to QIII. It's very good for make momentary on and clicky constant on/off.