Magcharger help

9P12volt

Newly Enlightened
I recently obtained a stock MagCharger, and will not be happy until I can boost it's performance. I don't want to make any major modifications to the light, and am really looking for mods that could be considered "drop-in", if possible.

I have done a few searches, and even searched on CPF, but cannot find clear results. Can any of you provide suggestions; including: type of upgrade-part number-where to buy-and cost expected?

Thank you all in advance

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Search is still kind of a mess. You're looking for a Welch Allen 1160 bulb about $6. Don't remember where you can get it but someone will chime in. Sometimes this setup is called a MC60 IIRC.

-LT

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
The welch allyn WA01160 is the one you want. It'll boost your output by almost double and reduce your runtime by that much unless you get your hands on a high capacity nimh battery stick to replace your stock nicad one. You can also find a sputtered reflector to improve the beam quality and a heat resistant UCL to slightly increase the light.

9P12volt

Newly Enlightened
Best place to get a hi-cap battery stick?

Also, Maglite is now offering xenon replacement bulbs for non-rechargeable models. Does anyone know if they will do one for the Magcharger? If not, does anyone else have a xenon replacement?

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
litho123 said:
Your best bet is to watch BST for one or PM Ginseng and see if he might have enough cells left over from his last Group Buy to make you one.

Out of the hundreds and hundreds bought in the last GB, I have a measly four left. On the upside, I expect a batch of sample cells and packs by the middle of next week for testing. These will be 3.5Ah NIMH.

Watch B/S/T

Wilkey

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might want a Aluminum MOP reflector from FiveMega as well. It won't melt. Plastic does when you leave the 25 watt bulb on too long. Especially with high output battery pack.

Newly Enlightened
I can't remember wher I got the parts but the 4%.00 WA1160 bulb and a $MaH NiMH battery for only about $20.00 made my MC60 conversion easy. The stock battery will run it but after 7 years mine was finally shot. The lens never melted but the part where you put the bulb did. It doesn't look pretty but works fine. Iv'e read that they can melt real bad but it always works. You only have to carefully clean off the reflector and lens and you are good to go without it melting again. To avoid this just run it without the reflector until the plastic melts and then just clean the lens.

Simple and safe. Very much improved output.

CLHC

Flashaholic
There's also this website: http://light-edge.com that sells the Mag replacement reflectors in aluminum and in different reflective surfaces. They also have the WA high powered/output lamps that's desired for your Mag lights.

Enjoy!

Wrangler

Enlightened
I don`t want to highjack this thread but it might be interesting to know what super bulbs are the best for Magcharger.
The most of you seem to use WA 1160`s. (Specs: 5.0 Volts, 3.45 Amps, 17,25 Watts, 550 hours lamp life, 327 bulb lumens).
But what about the WA 1111? (Specs: 6 Volts, 3,35 Amps, 20,1 Watts, 100 hours lamp life, 465 bulb lumens)
Where are the differences in output or throw?
Just curious, `cause I`m trying to modify a Magcharger and want to use the brightest but also reliable bulb possible.
Thanks in advance for your input.

Wolfgang

Last edited:

9P12volt

Newly Enlightened
I second that last question. On paper, the specs look better. Why not use the WA 1111 (Specs: 6 Volts, 3,35 Amps, 20,1 Watts, 100 hours lamp life, 465 bulb lumens)?

litho123

Enlightened
CHC said:
There's also this website: http://light-edge.com that sells the Mag replacement reflectors in aluminum and in different reflective surfaces. They also have the WA high powered/output lamps that's desired for your Mag lights.

Enjoy!

These reflectors are for the Mag lights, not the MagCharger lights. They are NOT interchangable.

Fivemega is offering the only all aluminum MagCharger reflectors in LOP here
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=85189