First post

Genxsis

Newly Enlightened
Hi! This is my first time here, and what a forum this is!

After looking around the threads and not being familiar with most of the items, or what lights are good campared to something else, I thought maybe someone could give me an opinion on something I bought to use as a bicycle headlight. It's the Brinkmann Model 809-1033-0, which is a headlamp with 2 white LEDs and 1 red one. I've only had it for a couple weeks and haven't had a chance to use it for night riding yet, but I like it so far. It cost $9.56 at Wal-Mart. Now I'm thinking of getting a regular flashlight with LEDs because I like the way the light coming from LED bulbs looks, and I also like the idea of long battery life and infinite bulb life. It's hard to know what's good by looking at them in the package at the store, which is what makes forums like this so great!

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Genxsis said:
Hi! This is my first time here, and what a forum this is!

After looking around the threads and not being familiar with most of the items, or what lights are good campared to something else, I thought maybe someone could give me an opinion on something I bought to use as a bicycle headlight. It's the Brinkmann Model 809-1033-0, which is a headlamp with 2 white LEDs and 1 red one. I've only had it for a couple weeks and haven't had a chance to use it for night riding yet, but I like it so far. It cost $9.56 at Wal-Mart. Now I'm thinking of getting a regular flashlight with LEDs because I like the way the light coming from LED bulbs looks, and I also like the idea of long battery life and infinite bulb life. It's hard to know what's good by looking at them in the package at the store, which is what makes forums like this so great!
While I am sure this is a nice light I don't think this would be suitable for a bike riding light. The problem with this light is that you will most likely outride the light that is output from this light because it is using smaller LEDs.

You might want to look at something like this.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/92601

Oh, and welcome to CPF.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
If you have a Target anywhere near, you may want to try a River Rock 2AAA Headlamp.

On high beam it ain't too shabby!

Another thought is a brighter LED drop-in in a Minim*g on a NiteIze head strap...

Genxsis

Newly Enlightened
I've been looking at that drop-in conversion for the mini-mag. I think I'll have to try that out. I'm new to LED, so I guess I'm in for a pleasant surprise from what I've heard about it.

BlackDecker

Enlightened
Genxsis: Prepare for a revelation. I too was stuck in Minimag land for years thinking that Mag made the only 'premium' light.

It's amazing the light levels and battery life you can get out of these new lights.

The previous post about the River Rock .5w headlamp ($14.99) was a good one. I have this headlamp and when switched to 'high', it matches the light output of my much more expensive Petzl Tikka XP ($50).

The RR headlamp only uses 2AAA batteries, too.