How to begin to modify a mm AA

jpfaff

Newly Enlightened
I'mtotally new to modifying a light. I have a new minimag that I would like to begin to modify. Can somebody give me insight into what a newbie can do to this light. I want to go led. But there are so many options and types out there. I would like to buy the best. Also, what is u-bin? What about the reflector,lense, and tail cap. Any help would be appreciated.

Jason

rikvee

Enlightened
Howdy Jason, since the CPF software update of a few weeks ago I'm still updating all my old links, but here's a summary:

1. LCK 26K led - cheap, low current
2. MJLED - $7 , 2AA's last 12 hrs+
3. Opalec Mini beam - $ 20 blue-ish triple led drop-in, 10hrs
4. TerraLux UX MiniStar2 - $26 single 1W led drop-in, 6hrs
5. Sandwich Shoppe Sandwiches - a changing menu of 1 or 3W Luxeons driven by a variety of converters, $30-65, 20min- 1hr of full brightness. The latest is usually the most impressive, but every 3 months or so there'll be better ones again...
I'd just buy a 17mmIMS reflector AND both the fraen and the NX05 optic, for a few bucks you can see for yourself which one suits you best. You may also need an 18mm o ring to make the optic fit better.
A glass lens is a measurable improvement, but it can be hard to see...
A Kroll tailswitch can replace the slightly dodgy MiniMag switching, but you lose your lanyard attachment.
I use RadioShack Teflon lubricant on the bezel threads, works a treat.
For conductive threads, like the tailcap, I use NyoGel from lighthound.
U-bins are the latest, sometimes better version of the Luxeon 3W led.

6. In development: a hotwire mod, involving rechargeable batteries and high current Streamlight bulbs.

The cheap led's just replace the globe, the drop-in modules come with a shorter reflector and replace half the MiniMag switch insert, while the sandwiches need a rubber ring to hold them inside the tube.
These sandwiches, also called pills, dispense with the MiniMag insides and need a 17mm reflector or an optic to complete the picture.
The hotwire mod replaces the insert with a high temperature socket, the brightness on that one appears to rival the Surefire P60 Lamp Assembly....

Last edited: