What LED light is most similar to Mini Mag?

Genxsis

Newly Enlightened
I have a mini mag now (actually 2) and have liked them very much. Now I'm thinking of getting something similar that has LED bulbs, but around $10 or $15. I know about the nite-ize conversion, but is it the best way to go? I've read that it is rather cheaply made and is lacking in some ways. But maybe that's the way to go. I don't know. What do you guys think?

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I second the SL Jr.

IMO it is superior to any of the MM Led mods that I have or have seen.

A solid, well made light, complete with clickie tailcap.

My Terralux modded MM actually cost more than my SL JR.

Mark

BlackDecker

Enlightened
Another flashlight to consider is the River Rock 2AAA flashlight for $9.99 at Target. It uses a .5w LED and puts out as much light as a 2AA MiniMag. Will run for 6 hours on a single set of batteries, easily outlasting a MiniMag.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flash_Gordon said:
I second the SL Jr.

IMO it is superior to any of the MM Led mods that I have or have seen.

A solid, well made light, complete with clickie tailcap.

My Terralux modded MM actually cost more than my SL JR.

Mark

When you have the cash, check out the NexGen500/750. IT'll make you smile...

ThomasH

Newly Enlightened
Take a look at the River Rock 2AAA LED light from Target! It's bright, it throws, it has spill, and it's $9.95! :D

How it looks at the store:
DSCF0044ars.jpg

Next to it's older OEM brother:
dsc011486fq.jpg

River Rock on the left! Nice and white!
dsc011512km.jpg

It is taking the functional place of the Mini-Mag for me! My US$.02! (Or is it US$10?) :p

- Thomas

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't like the SL Lux Jr. at all. Mine have had switch problems, poor runtime, and I don't care for the beam they are an okay light at a lesser price, but at the price I paid (around $30) they are very disapointing.

why not just get an led drop-in for your minimag?

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to reiterate and expand on previous posts. Virtually any modern light you get is vastly better than a Minimag. You'll quickly wonder why you stayed with Mag so long :)

The Target River Rock 2AAA is a great light for the price. Excellent throw for such a small inexpensive light, great runtime, even more on lithium AAAs.

The SL Jr. is also a great light, somewhat more expensive, nice wide beam.

The Nuwai QIII is an amazing little light. Such a nice package, good beam quality, handles well, looks nice. Only lacking HAIII coating.

The Fenix 1LP 2.5 gives equal or better than QIII performance on a single AA, plus has HAIII coating.

In general I'd recommend the QIII or Fenix. If you want the cheapest possible route try the River Rock 2AAA. But I've handled both it and the QIII back to back and the QIII is worth the extra money IMO. Haven't handled the Fenix, but I assume likewise it's worth it.

onthebeam

Enlightened
I was also looking for a light with the same form factor of as the Mini Mag. Have had the Streamlight Jr. Luxeon for more than a month and keep reaching for it regularly, despite having some other cool lights in the arsenal Wonderful, white, smooth and bright beam and the momentary function of the clickie tail switch is very useful. It's built like a tank. It's not as bright as the Nuwai Q III but its design is very close to the Mini Mag.

The River Rock AAA is a neat, tiny penlight but not versatile at all. Virtually no throw. However, it's tiny and light, just fine if you want to find your way around the house late at night. But the beam quality is quite blue, although it has a decent spot for a .5 watt light. I think you'd be very happy indeed with the Jr. Luxeon. Bought mine for about 25 bucks from www.dlsenterprises.com. Last I checked, they were closing out the older, slightly brighter ones. For me, I'd rather trade a bit of runtime for a brighter light so I'm glad I found the original.

Nasty

Newly Enlightened
I have a RR AAA .05 and it throws very well...wonder why yours does not?

It makes a great EDC.

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nasty said:
I have a RR AAA .05 and it throws very well...wonder why yours does not?...
Likewise my RR AAA has amazing throw for this category. At night it visibly illuminates objects in my back yard 40 yards away. Agreed beam is somewhat blue however.

However I agree the SL Jr and QIII are good choices, and worth the extra money over the RR 2AAA. But don't discount the Fenix, esp if you can get one for the group buy price.

Krit

Enlightened
If you want to use the light for long, the extra cost should be paid for mod it to the best light for you. If you have a lot of work to use it, it worth for you.

BlackDecker

Enlightened
My RR 2AAA light has great throw, too. Perhaps onthebeam is night blind? :)

At almost half the size of a MiniMag and only 2 bucks more, it's a true BARGAIN.

onthebeam

Enlightened
On the issue of throw on the RR AAA, I guess it's all a matter of what you're comparing it to. (Since I'm a photographer, I'm not surprised that people could think I'm blind after seeing my night work!) Agreed, that the RR is a great value at $10 but I'd still suggest spending a bit more to get a much better light. I bought an eight LED light from SurplusComputers.com for $6, regularly $8, that's quite a bit brighter in spill than the RR but not quite as good as throw. Much more smooth and pleasing beam around the house on the Surplus light, though. It is about 3" long but fatter than the RR, not quite as comfortable in the pocket.

Subjectively, the Jr. Luxeon is double the brightness than the RR, in my case. Understood that some have complained that the bin lots vary quite a bit in the River Rocks. I've only tried one but do like it well enough to give a few to others as gifts. It reallly is like a feather in the pocket and you forget it's there, despite its length The only other light I have that's so unobtrusive is the Peak Caribeean.

Genxsis

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for all the replies! The Streamlight Jr. seems a bit pricey, but the River Rock 2AAA is more in my range. I'll take a look at it next time I'm in the store, which will be tomorrow!

BlackDecker

Enlightened
The River Rock 2AAA light comes in black and silver. I liked my black one so well, I went back today and purchased a silver one. The store by my office is almost sold out of the RR 2AAA's, while stacks of Maglites gather dust.

Latest posts