KL3 gen2, Bug out 3w or Bug out 5w? (modules, replacement lamps, drop-ins)

Which LED module?

• KL3 gen 2

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Bug out 3w

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Bug out 5w

Votes: 4 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which one would you pick and in what circumstances would you choose the other(s)?

Characteristics
KL3 gen 2
Super runtime (3hrs45mins), super regulation, thrower (50+m), around 30 lumens, quite a bit longer than stock bezel, prob need use with beamshaper which makes it even longer, too tight for close up use

Bug Out 3w
Relatively good runtime (2hrs), decent regulation, good throw (40m), hotspot with spillbeam, around 50 lumens, fits in stock bezel, overall a good balance

Bug Out 5w
Ok runtime (1hr), good regulation, throw (31m), spot with nice flood, around 60 lumens, comes with slightly longer head

So which one floats your boat and which situations would warrant one over the other?

I'm thinking a KL3 with beamshaper is the most versatile and 30 lumens is actually quite enough light for most places, esp pitch dark places, but its really significantly bulkier than the rest. Love the long runtime though.

Any comments?

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I said KL3 because of throw and runtime.. and the beamshaper will take care of flood.

-David

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love the BOG modules, but they are just a little too functional...

I fell in love with the new KL3 since I got them on Friday, yeah it's big, but the beam seriously throws, has great color and get this: it's in black HAIII!!!! Plus 3 1/2 hours regulated on 2 123s? My pick is the KL3

wquiles

Flashaholic
It is not fair since I have never tried the KL3's, but I absolutely love the great balance that the 3W BOG reflector brings. Not necesarily the king of trow, but pretty decent with usable sidebeam.

Will

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
The KL3 gen 2 is currently leading the pack, what happened to the chase for lumens and pocketability? :D

Guess runtime and throw hold lotsa weight too! Anymore contenders?

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah, I dont like the KL3's beam ( I prefer reflectors), but the runtime does it for me.

-David

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
KL3 with beamshaper just makes the beam spot bigger, still not a flood light. Good for outdoors for spotting things

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, I would rather have something like a PM6 3w... it has throw and spill. Kl3 is nice though, and the throw is great.

-David

socom45

Newly Enlightened
I understood the bog 3w drop in to have about the same runtime as the original kl3 (4.5 hours on full power). I like the sound of the new kl3, but it has no anti roll edges on it plus it's a bit taller than the original bezel. Plus since I have the 6pn (navy spec) I figured I'd keep it sorta factory, and I've got all the light I need, plus I can use a simple holster for it....might upgrade heads one day...just don't know if it is worth it.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
socom45 said:
I understood the bog 3w drop in to have about the same runtime as the original kl3 (4.5 hours on full power). I like the sound of the new kl3, but it has no anti roll edges on it plus it's a bit taller than the original bezel...

The new KL3 is BEAUTIFUL....it will make you 6p look like a U2...

and where did you get the 4.5 hour figure? on mine, I would have to change batteries after two hours...

Longbow

Enlightened
It's amazing but true, that many CPF'ers still believe and quote factory published data, ignoring the wealth of factual data available within these halls! Go figure!!!

Last edited:

BIGD

Newly Enlightened
I have the KL3 gen2 in HAIII on a C2 body with a Z58 clickie and I absolutely love it. I was comparing it to my L5 last night and I noticed that in a totaly dark room you can easily read a book with the light facing the other direction. The beam is super concentrated into a very tight hot spot for sure but it does have useable spill, enough to walk around with in the boonies and enough throw to see a good distance. If you need to read something or look at an object up close you just aim the light slightly to the side of the object so it doesen't blow away your vision. I also noticed that since the beam is so tight you don't get as many reflections from objects like you do with a wide beam light like the L5. I used to prefer the five watt lights like the L5 or my U2 but this is a really compact package that has great runtime and a very usable beam and it's also pretty affordable for a SureFire. I voted for the KL3 gen2.

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
BIGD said:
If you need to read something or look at an object up close you just aim the light slightly to the side of the object so it doesen't blow away your vision.
I personally find the KL3 beam is unusable for reading, especially off white paper. It has no sidespill (except some 'prismatic rings' that prob put out like 0.5 lux :D) and the whole beam is a tight hotspot.

From reading distances in darkness, it kills my vision totally. Putting it overhead helps a *little*.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
LEDcandle said:
BIGD said:
If you need to read something or look at an object up close you just aim the light slightly to the side of the object so it doesen't blow away your vision.
I personally find the KL3 beam is unusable for reading, especially off white paper. It has no sidespill (except some 'prismatic rings' that prob put out like 0.5 lux :D) and the whole beam is a tight hotspot.

From reading distances in darkness, it kills my vision totally. Putting it overhead helps a *little*.

You know, has it occured to people that a LED module that uses state-of-the-art method to collect every available photon into a tight beam is NOT a reading light? You don't use a P6 with P61 to read for the same reason you don't use a KL3 to read, simple as that. You gotta realize that the KL3 is designed so that you have the hotspot of a LuxV with 4 times the run time. It's a compromise, it's not a reading light...I have heard many people complain about being hard to read with a light that ultilizes optics(KL3, KL4, Inova XO/T3, etc). For its purpose(a long running LED light that can cut through element better than most coutnerparts), the KL3 is just about perfect.

Want a reading light? go get a 2-stage tailcap for the C/P series from sandwiche shoppe...

BIGD

Newly Enlightened
Humm! Well I think alot of people are looking for a light that they can use for whatever task comes along in the dark. As a rule most people carry just one flashlight (not everyone is as crazy as we are) and I think they might want to use it to read with as at times reading is necessary. Not everyone is looking for a badguy in a corner or trying to illuminate a target at 100 yards, in fact most people use a flashlight simply to see with. I bet people in Louisiana would love to have had a bright, ultra rugged, ultra reliable, long running, waterproof "Illumination Tool". I can read just fine with my KL3 gen2 and it makes a darn fine flashlight too.

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
270winchester said:
LEDcandle said:
BIGD said:

You know, has it occured to people that a LED module that uses state-of-the-art method to collect every available photon into a tight beam is NOT a reading light? You don't use a P6 with P61 to read for the same reason you don't use a KL3 to read, simple as that. You gotta realize that the KL3 is designed so that you have the hotspot of a LuxV with 4 times the run time. It's a compromise, it's not a reading light...I have heard many people complain about being hard to read with a light that ultilizes optics(KL3, KL4, Inova XO/T3, etc). For its purpose(a long running LED light that can cut through element better than most coutnerparts), the KL3 is just about perfect.

Want a reading light? go get a 2-stage tailcap for the C/P series from sandwiche shoppe...

Yo chill, I am not complaining at all... in fact I am merely responding to BIGD's message on the 'readability usage', so that other people reading this thread have more opinions to read from instead of believing straight away that the KL3 will be usable as a reading light.

I have a keychain LED for reading uses, and am considering the 2-stage mod indeed :)

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
LEDcandle said:
270winchester said:
LEDcandle said:
Yo chill, I am not complaining at all... in fact I am merely responding to BIGD's message on the 'readability usage', so that other people reading this thread have more opinions to read from instead of believing straight away that the KL3 will be usable as a reading light.

I have a keychain LED for reading uses, and am considering the 2-stage mod indeed :)

Oops, my post came off as a little, uh, blunt.

All I'm trying to say is that given the current technology in LEDs, we are forced to choose between throw, spill, and run time, we can have two but no all three. There are a lot of good lights with good throw, spill, and great run time, and the KL3 is a specialized tool for people who choose to use them.

The 2 stage switch would be a sweet compromise for a lot of things, especially for close range work. Hmm...that remonds me, I need to get one soon...

Heck, I would love to have a pocket sized(well, sort of) light that has spill, throw(nearly 3000 lux at 1m), and good runtime. The only thing that comes close is the HD45, but then again, the head is a little bigger than the KL3, which is pretty big to begin with.

Nick