Fun with Reflectors

Timson

Enlightened
I Was messing around with my minimag today - testing out how much throw i could get with different reflectors.

Just for fun I thought I'd see whether I could slip a C/D size Mag reflector onto the MiniMag body.

To my amazement the MiniMag body (with head removed - obviously) slips perfectly into the cammed opening of the reflector all the way in until it is stopped by the little ridge inside the cam tube.

With a high dome Luxeon sandwich module installed the focus is perfect!
Works well with a MJLED too.

Turns your Luxeon MiniMag into a full on throw monster. :)

Not very practical I know - But a bit of fun.... and interesting non the less.

Tim

The-David

Flashaholic, Formerly KE7AYF
As soon as I read this I went and tryed it with my MJLED MM2AA and found that I was able to get decent focous out of this. Here is the MM with the D cell reflecter on it.

And here is the stock reflecter on the MJLED

The didtnce is the same about ten feet and the camera is set to auto with no flash.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hahah, MJLED in a D reflector is even more crazy! I like how it actually is brigther!

Now who's going to do the same 2 things with a ThorX reflector? :D

greenLED

Flashaholic
wasn't somebody selling C-to-AA adapters a couple of weeks back to take advantage of this same thing? Was it JimH?

HaulinLow

Newly Enlightened
greenLED said:
wasn't somebody selling C-to-AA adapters a couple of weeks back to take advantage of this same thing? Was it JimH?

yeah, I bought one thinking that it would work with sandwiches, but its just for incan mods. I believe I paid $12 plus shipping for it-- anyone want it for $12 and I'll ship it for free?

I stuffed it in a drawer after I bought a C cell mag just for the head and then some Streamlight bulbs. The adapter wouldn't screw all the way down into the mag head (old version of head???) and my li-ion 14500 instaflashed two of those four expensive streamlight bulbs. I didn't want to play "hotwire modder" anymore.

The-David

Flashaholic, Formerly KE7AYF
what has me wondering about reflectors is there obvousley a varey inportan part of a the over output of a light... SO WHY HAS NOONE MADE A BETTER REFLECTOR FOR THE THOR!!!! I think every member of CPF has a thor soumwhere so its not like there wouldent be a market for it?