Problems with SL JR Switch

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have been encountering a problem with my SL JR lately and was wondering if anyone else had had similar.
The clickie switch sometimes doesn't work. Meaning I click it on and it doesn't come on. Sometimes a little shake will "reset" it to working again. Other times I have to loosen the end cap then retighten to get it going.
It doesn't happen everytime, but enough that I hesitate to use the light outside of home and for nothing but rudimentary use if at all. Darn shame as I think this is a really great light in a form factor I like.
Anyone have this problem? Possible solutions/explanations? :thinking: Thanks guys.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you tried fresh batteries? Does it still do that on fresh cells? What about cleaning the metal threads of the switch/body?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine do this too fresh batteries helps.

With mine, when they won't turn on, if you slightly turn the end cap either way it will work again once with the next series of on push, and then once you turn it off it won't come on again...until you slightly turn the end cap again.

Problem is most noticable with dead batteries, but still develops with batteries that are at the low end of "good".

any ideas what causes this? drives me crazy this design flaw does

every SL Lux Jr. I have has this flaw to some degree some are worst than others though

frankly, i don't trust these lights for actual important use....mine only work reasonably well for the first 10-15 minutes of battery life, and then this problem slowly develops and buy the time the batteries are really run down--usually at 45 minutes use-- the switch is failing 100 percent of the time after each shut-off.

Last edited:

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
Mine has a similar problem. Often, if the cells aren't too depleted, if you can wait a minute or two before switching it on again, it'll come on. Of course, this can be a PITA in many situations.

My solution is simply to run it on NiMH cells and recharge after about 30 - 60 mins. That way, it always comes on.

Anyone know if the new version of the light displays this problem also? I half-wonder if the redesign was necessary due to this problem.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm it must varry with the Vf of the luxeon used. it's when the voltage is too low for the circuit to switch on. Let the batts rest, then the voltgage goes up, and then you can clikc it back on. I use NiMH and don't have this problem much anymore.

New version has a longer runtime so I'm guessing the circuit will draw less power?

connortn

Newly Enlightened
I don't own one of these but am seriouly considering a few of them. I work a little in electronics in the music repair business and one possibility that comes to mind is if the threads of the cap are conducting current to the body it might be the treads are tarnished or coated with grease/oil that doesn't conduct electricity well. You might try cleaning the threads with a good solvent such as naptha or lighter fluid and see if it helps. If not, it's probably what the other guys said.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ya, he said "loosen the tail cap and retighting to get it going" Now I'm starting to really think the threads on the tail cap and light need cleaning. Mine have been fine so far, but look like they are getting dirty. These switches are pretty durable, (especially compared to krolls) so it must be the threads..... Give it a shot!

connortn

Newly Enlightened
If that's the problem (and even if it's not) you might want to spray some Deoxit D5 contact cleaner/enhanser on the threads. I think someone here said you can get it at your local Ratty Shack. We use it here and it works quiet well on noisy audio pots in amps and electric guitars. They have one of the products for lubercating such devices also. The cleaner comes in a red label can and the lube in a blue label can.

Hope it works...