Ever met a CPF'er?

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
Just wondering if any of you have every met another flashoholic? On the street or any where, we do certainly stand out carrying 2-5 flashlights evey where we go.

I keep thinking that that would be wierd to meet someone with out expecting to.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Yeah I saw/met a couple of guys (about 6 of them) at the movie theater standing around all wearing black trench coats—in fact they all dressed alike and groomed alike, hmmm. . .On each one's person were Mag-Lites: 6D, 2D, 2AA, 2AAA and Solitaire. That's all these fellas carried.

At that time all I had on me was my 6P with the P61 installed and a set of fresh 123s. I just commented to them about their lights since they're wearing them on their side like sabers. They showed them to me and appearedd to be quite proud of their illuminators which seemed to me that their line of thinking was that Mags were all that ever existed. They said to me that everyone should carry a flashlight. I agreed and then briefly showed them the 6P. Of course a few of them chuckled; that is until I flashed it on the wall. . .Then silence with eyes bugged out of their heads like a stepped on toad. . .Ah it was a Sony moment. . .

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
hehe. I did meet a fellow CPF'er, but by arangement, not on the street. BugLightGeek. He has way more lights than me. And they all are cooler!

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
No, but the other day in the flashlight aisle at WalMart I may have seen a potential flashaholic. A guy was eyeing a Dorcy AAA very closely and for quite some time. I nearly said something about the goodness of the light, but chickened out. I suppose he could have been a CPF'er, what with so many coming out of the woodwork in this area. Should have said something.

Geoff

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I met another one in a movie theater a few months back. Some teens in the back were making a lot of noise and talking on cell phones and I was just about to go get management when this guy on the opposite side of the walkway spotlights them with what I think was a Surefire A2 and tells them to SHUT UP or LEAVE.

I don't really support vigilante type behavior, but I couldn't supress a small laugh at the "deer in the headlights" look. Surprisingly enough the teens did leave without any further comments.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I met a CPF'er!
June 12th 2004 in Duncan, Oklahoma getting ready for a cross-state bike ride (of all things) I was rolling my recumbent through the door for overnight storage until the ride began the next morning. Had my helmet on complete with BB500 R2H Fraen LP optics in a Minimag with Kroll tailswitch. A genteman was off to the side with his tandem and asked about "the sandwich in the minimag".
I froze when it occured to me that only a CPF'er would know about sandwiches and minimag mods. There stood cy with a smile on his face... I strode over and introduced myself. Told him I brought a few mods with me and we should check them out during the ride when it gets dark.
A few nights later, armed with my BB500 and 2D Mag Madmax+ R2H mod... we hit the darkness. Cy was armed with various Arc LS stock lights and mods and we had a good time illuminating things over 100 meters away with the Mad mod. He really liked the tint of the BB500 R2H that I EDC'ed at the time (since departed) my helmet light was slightly brighter but bluer.
Marveled at the new Arc4 switching system and played around with twistie and clickie Arcs until threatening rain drove us to depart and put up our respective tents. His sons are cool and when taking note of another weirdo armed with flashlights... casually left us to our devices.
Now I am in Turkey, not exactly a haven for flashoholics but the Turks really, really appreciate a good light. OK, OK... until I tell them the price! The Matterhorn 3 Snow29 running a lithium AAA is their favorite and there are a lot of budding flashoholics out there.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I've run into a few of them, and I've done my best to create a few.....

I've told this story before, so skip to the next thread if you wish.

During a visit to my in-laws, I was showing off some of my new toys. As they were arrayed on the table in front of my my sister in law says (with a kind, playful smile) "You need help, you should see a doctor." Since my doctor is a flashaholic who turned me onto CPF, I was able to say "I have. He has better lights!"

Look in the "get together forums and you may find there is a CPF meet and great close enough to attend.

Daniel

Sixpointone

Enlightened
Interestingly enough one day I was going to lunch with a friend from work. In passing I mentioned I had purchased a new Flashlight. It ends up although I had known him a couple of years, neither of us realized the other was in Lumens.

Not long after I got him to sign up at the CPF.

It is a small world in which we live.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Met with with 4sevens and bought a few things from him. He has a nice collection of lights that are always changing. I'm going to have to check out some of his new stuff.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ive often felt watched when I hit the light section of walmart.

Ive never met a light guy, but there are a few I would like to meet.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
cobb said:
Ive often felt watched when I hit the light section of walmart.

I've often felt that I was looking at another flashaholic while perusing the flashlight displays, but I usually don't say anything unless I see someone who appears to be befuddled by the choices.

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I met a whole bunch at Photon Fest 3! Of course, that was through arangement on CPF.

The only independant (not someone I introduced to lights) flashaholic I have met is a friend of my parents. I'd say he's in his early fifties and has been into incans and HID for a while now- we found out about our common interest at a party my parents were having. I showed him my LEDs and he was impressed! For his birthday, his wife called me to get advice but I wasn't home. I called her back but he answered so I had to lie to him and get her on the phone. She needed a gift for the next day! Clearly, I couldn't recommend a mail-order specialty, so, being that there was a Sharper Image near her and knowing he was into throw, I recommended an XO3; he loved it! I told him about CPF, but I'm not sure if he's checked it out.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
I *suspect* I may hold the record for "most CPF'rs met in person." :D (Including a poster in this thread! ( :nana: )) I almost got to meet B@rt in Belgium a month ago. I haven't encountered one of us in the "wild," yet, but I keep my eyes open. :D

Larry

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I've met several CPFers over the years.
Three that I can remember right off the bat...

1: Somebody I met just east of downtown Seattle; I showed him my Arc LS prototype probably a month after I received it (late-summer 2001).

2: Somebody loaned me several flashlights to evaluate on my website in late-July 2003.

3: Mike Boyd and somebody else from InReTECH dropped by for a short visit - I'm guessing sometime in late-2003.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Solstice said:
I met a whole bunch. . .that was through arrangement on CPF.

I forgot about that one on get togethers. Met Mtbkndad, Modamag, JimH, Kilted, Unnerv, VidPro, AmondoTech(Online CPF Name?) and a couple of more others that my memory doesn't recall at the moment. . .

Latest posts