Meeting with a Cree Engineer in 14 hours...

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi

I am meeting with a Cree Engineer in 14 hours (0930 GMT+1100 20Sept), does anyone have any questions?

Howard

OddBall

Newly Enlightened
You got Instant coffee or Gourmet? ;)

Seriously though, love to be a fly on the wall at that meeting for sure!

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL re instant coffee :D. I'll have what he offers. Although that hotel has some nice coffee shops around so I think it will have to be gourmet :D

It'd be a perfect opportunity to get questions answered if anyone has any.

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dont have any real questions, but I think it would intresting to find out where he sees LEDs going in the next few years and how fast. I'd also like to know what he thinks are slowing dont LED devolupment. Any info on new products would be great. Thanks for doing this hotbeam.

-David

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ask for free samples :D (I received you know)

Seriously, I really want to see the range of optics they partners have to offer, ask abut their future products, plans etc.

We CPFers know far more about leds than the average, and that includes leds salesmen, they will appreciate your questions and no doubt take them seriously.

Keep us posted!

Pablo

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lumileds owns the patent on conformal phosphor coating. Conformal phosphor on the die makes for easier use of optics and reflectors, and better color consistency

See if he sees Cree using conformal phosphor coating in the future - it would make them that much more competitive with offerings from Lumileds.

lamperich

Enlightened
oh yes

ask if there will be some improvments in Color rendering on one "die" LED´s in the near futur...

the difference between "Brown green yellow" outdoors should be better.

I don´t own Cree led´s but some Lumiled´s are already pretty good but the most are still not satisfied

so, can we expect some improvments or are RGB Led´s always the better choice if high CRI is needed?

That´s my question...

Last edited:

lamperich

Enlightened
sorry doubleposting my Browser hangs sometimes since the new boardsoftware....

Last edited:

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Howard,

Ask him about the durability of their LED's.

It seems that Chimo has shown that their output falls off faster than others when slightly overdriven.

Tom

McGizmo

Flashaholic
1) Is there any thought of using phosphor with the 7090 UV package?

2) Any idea how soon we will see the high efficacy LED recently reported?

3) As more manufacturers turn to Cree for their dies, will Cree back away from providing complete packages themselves?

jtr1962

Flashaholic
1) Which white LEDs are using their XT-24 and XT-27 dies?

2) Have they tested anything more efficient than the XT-27, which is about 42% efficient?

3) How soon before production power LEDs break the 100 lm/W barrier?

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi - A couple from me

- I have a 1 watt UV - interested in 3 watt availability
- I have developed some custom optics for their 7090 series - any interest from them to work with additional partners
- Since they cannot conformally coat the die (which leads to that thin blue ring of light coming from a low angle in the white package) do they have a way to block it. I did this with my optics, but it would be easier if they do it at the package level.
- Would they be willing to work with anyone on a 10 watt package made up of a large area die that drives with a Vf less than 5 volts.

Thanks

Harry

lamperich

Enlightened
and

will the min. <-> typical.(maximum) Lumen ratings be smalller?
right now they are up to 25%... within a bin (Lumileds)

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the questions guys... :eek: I hope he will have time to go over all of them. I think I'll need to print this page out :)

SemiMan

Banned
Same question I always ask from LED suppliers. What will your light output be over time at a realistic die temperature (not room temperature!). Flashlights are easy, but for my real job, fixture temperatures will hit 50C and heatsink/etc is going to add 20-40, so how long will the CREE LEDS last at elevated temperatures and how much light will I actually get?

Semiman

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened
If you can follow up w/him...

Try to ask him IF/WHEN Mag will become an LED customer of his company (Cree), i.e. (a) in the next decade, (b) sometime in the second half of this century, (c) about when Michael Jackson may be cleared to adopt a child!

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
:ohgeez: OK. I had that meeting this morning. Very enlightening :D Chatted for just over 2 hours, including some demos with the 0.5, 1 and 3w lamps, along with a couple pieces of their optic. It was with the marketing manager instead.

It was hard to stay ontrack as one response led to another O/T and that went elsewhere. Anyhow, here are the responses (or recollection of his response) that he gave. I think I covered most of the questions asked above.

Next few years?
From his company's point of view... BRIGHT :D They should be breaking the 150lm/w barrier sooner rather than later. Adoption to increase. Price to decrease.

Conformal coating
They are developing 'their own' version of the process. He acknowledges the current method of laying can do with improvement but if Cree optics are used, it does eliminate most of the coloured artifacts. He could not give me timing.

CRI
He'll get that info to me.

Durabilty
One thing, there won't be any issues with the soldering iron accidentally melting the dome! It is made of glass! As far as overdriving, I forgot to ask :ohgeez:

UV phosphor
No plans at this stage. IP issues. Gelcore hold some patents. Chip-only UV at this stage.

Dies vs packages
They'll continue to develop packages and distribute dies. No plans for change.

XT-24/27
Those are destined for devices like PDAs, phones, etc... Because of its size (250um), we won't see them in the 7090 package for example.

100lm/w production LEDs?
~5-6 months :) ...and will be heading into the 7090 package!!!

UV 3watt
No plans for 3watt UV. Too much disintegration of parts.

Additional partners
Yes, of course.

Well, hope I've answered 'some' questions from here.

Last edited:

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
pokkuhlag said:
wow 100 lumen/watt in half a year....
~6 months but I think it may take yet a couple more months to get it into full production. It will eventually head into the 7090 package though.