New to Lasers - a few questions.

System F

Newly Enlightened
I've been looking to get a 125mw greenie from Wickedlasers.

Basically, I want it because I'm a gadget freak and like to show off.

A few questions:

I'm already blind in one eye, so I have concerns over safety.

Although I won't be using it without protective goggles, I'd like to know if the reflection of the laser (say off a wall or ground) acts the same way as sunlight? i.e you still get tanned from reflective sunlight, can the laser gradually do damage to the eye by reflecting off things like walls etc? (I realise mirrors are an obvious no-no)

Another thing I'd like to know. Does the laser only do damage at close range?

I'll use this pic as an example http://www.wickedlasers.com/photos/b1.jpg say the laser was lowered and hit the high rised buildings in the distance - could it potentially knock someone's vision out through a window?

Lastly - I have only seen rubbish warranty periods for these lasers (90 days etc) If I'm going to buy something for 500bucks, I want more than 90 days out of it - Is there a manufacturer of lasers that gives the standard 1 year warranty?

I'm in the UK, so I'm not sure what the laws are on these things.

Cheers.

BlueMars

Newly Enlightened
In regards to the question of the laser and the window, the answer is Yes. It will hurt for someone to look into the beam of the laser, and it is by law that you don't shine a 5mw green laser out into the open public unless you have a variance. Moreover, the reflection from walls is still more than adequate to deal alot of damage into your eye. Being blind in one eye already, makes it much more risky. I would suggest getting a 5mw if you want to be a gadget freak, to remain within the law and to minimize retinal damage.

System F

Newly Enlightened
BlueMars said:
In regards to the question of the laser and the window, the answer is Yes. It will hurt for someone to look into the beam of the laser, and it is by law that you don't shine a 5mw green laser out into the open public unless you have a variance. Moreover, the reflection from walls is still more than adequate to deal alot of damage into your eye. Being blind in one eye already, makes it much more risky. I would suggest getting a 5mw if you want to be a gadget freak, to remain within the law and to minimize retinal damage.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm the kind of person that can't resist going to a 125mw. I see a 5mw, then a 125 - It will feel rubbish getting a 5mw. I'll certainly get the required protection. I'm just worried about other people in terms of reflections.

I still have a few points unanswered - the picture I refered to, would the distance reduce the harmful effects of the laser? To be blunt, if I point it at someone a mile away will it harm them?

And warranty issues - what's with the lame 3months gurantee? I need something more solid than that.

comozo

Enlightened
Although I won't be using it without protective goggles, I'd like to know if the reflection of the laser (say off a wall or ground) acts the same way as sunlight? i.e you still get tanned from reflective sunlight, can the laser gradually do damage to the eye by reflecting off things like walls etc? (I realise mirrors are an obvious no-no)

Answer: At the output you are talking about it boils down to a matter of distance from the surface and the reflectiveness, color of the surface. Reflected light from a wall is greatly scattered light. Incidental reflections could cause damage within the Rayleigh Range. Reflections that are 180 degrees I would not worry about off walls(distance dependent) and certainly not the ground. I imagine that looking at the spot would be uncomfortable at a close distance and something you'd only do on occasion.

could it potentially knock someone's vision out through a window?

Answer
Again it all depends on distance. This site will give you some answers.
www.pangolin.com

I'm certain the UK has a site the equivalent of the US CDRH site

Quazar

Enlightened

System F

Newly Enlightened
Good info, thanks guys.

I was close to just buying the 125mw on a whim. Glad I checked this place out first - some things to think about.

I might consider being sensible for a change, and starting off with a 5mw.

Quazar, I have to PAY for health & safety information? that sounds typically British.