Spot light UKE?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Hi,

Could someone tell me how strong is the light out put from the UKE 4C/8C/4D/8D sunlight models? I'm looking for a longer run time and good for spot lighting. I got one of these bulky rechargable 500,000 candle power light at wallymart for about $15. It is very bright. I believe it uses a H3 55watts bulb. How does the UKE compare to this cheapo light. I would like something smaller with about the same output? Oh, money is tight too, so the cheaper the better. I called locally and the UKE 8C goes for around $75. It's a bit much. Thanks.

Lor

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you may have a problem beating that bulky 500,000 CP light for pure massive output. I have a Ultra Streamlight that puts out a really good beam, but it want outdo the spotlight for raw power. You may only get 15-20 min, the light is more yellow, & weighs a lot more, but it does put out a massive amount of light. Don't knock those $15 rechargeable spotlights. They do an excellent job for the price. TX

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I'm not knocking them down. I just need something smaller that can output around the same light.

jlfletc

Newly Enlightened
Hey Lor,

Look below at what I did with a UKE D4. On the 18 watt setting, this thing is brrright!

OK, I think I've decided. I'm going to get the UK D4. With the slight mod allowing for a low power, long life bulb, as well as a high power, shorter life bulb, I think this is the best compromise. Below is the itemized list for anybody interested, and the best prices I've found.

(1) Underwater Kinetics UK D4, Yellow $49.50 (1) Underwater Kinetics Lantern Grip for D4, D8 and LC100 Series lights $3.50
(1) Underwater Kinetics Reflector Assembly,
Spot Beam for D4 and D8 Series Lights $11.60
(1) Underwater Kinetics O-Ring for D4/D8 Series Lights $2.25
(2) Underwater Kinetics UK D4R 18watt Lamp $12.50

Subtotal: $79.35

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posts: 18 | From: Orange County, California U.S.A. | Registered: Oct 2001 | IP: Logged

jlfletc
Flashaholic
Member # 758
posted 11-09-2001 10:32 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, I did it. I bought the gear detailed below from Brightguy. Overall, a good experience with Brightguy. A few glitches, but nothing major. A couple of points: I did get an detailed invoice to print out after placing my order, but they didn't send a confirmation e-mail right away. I did get an e-mail confirming shipment a day or two later, but it just showed a purchase total and shipping costs, not the detail of what would actually be shipping (Turns out, one of the items was on backorder, and would be shipping later. It would have been nice to know that beforehand, rather than opening the package and thinking they messed up). Also, I wish they would automatically email a tracking number (I had to ask for it). Other than those minor points, a good experience overall. I dealt with Greg, who was very helpful in responding to my e-mails. I would do business with Brightguy again.
Ah Hah, now to the good stuff. The UK D4 is an excellent light. I pulled out one of the 5.8 watt lamps, and replaced it with one of the 18 watt lamps I bought, then I compared the D4 with my old UK400,(Basically the older model of the D4, but essentially the same light, except for the dual lamps). Side by side, the D4, using the 5.8 watt lamp, outmatched the UK400, which uses a 5.9 watt lamp, not neccesarily in brightness, but definitely in beam shape and quality. When switching to the 18 watt lamp, the D4 blew away the UK400 in every way. Much brighter, and more focused beam. In summary, I'm very happy with my purchase! Lobsters, look out!

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Originally posted by jlfletc:

When switching to the 18 watt lamp, the D4 blew away the UK400 in every way. Much brighter, and more focused beam. In summary, I'm very happy with my purchase! Lobsters, look out!

What was the runtime with the brighter lamp?

Brightnorm

D

**DONOTDELETE**

You know what the candle power rating on the 4D/8D? Thanks.

jlfletc

Newly Enlightened
I'm using 8000 mAh Maha NiMhs in the 4D. I have not run specific timing tests yet, but I will soon, and post the results here. On one dive, I used the light for about two hours total, about 80% on the 18w lamp, and 20% on the 5.8w lamp. When I recharged the batteries, they took about 5500 mAh of charge. Great light!

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use my own rechargable batteries on D4, it runs around one hour on 18W and 2.5 hours on 5.8W. Don't be fool by its 4D configuration, it is much smaller than other 4D lanterns. Besides, its lantern grip is very comfortable for land use.

Unlike dual filament lantern in LiteBox, you could replace individual blown bulb in D4. Also unlike dual bulb lights from SF, only the bulb you switched on to be on, SF will turn both bulbs on for high beam thus hurting life span of low beam bulb.

Although it's marketed as dive light, it is a great light for land use.

Alan