Brinkmann Maxfire LX?????

George1

Newly Enlightened
I understand that Target carries the Brinkmann Maxfire LX for ~$16. I am looking for comments about that light - build quality, beam, etc. Thanks for the input.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of the great bargains out there if flashlights. Very good overall output and very good throw. Compares very nicely to SF P60 lights in this regard.

Is it like an SF in overall quality or materials? No. But in actual use it is very nearly interchangeable. BTW, the SF P60 lamp assembly fits it perfectly. Then for sure output and beam quality are identical.

The only thing I did to mine is remove the rubber cover from the bezel. I think it looks better and fits easier in a holster. Also added a UCL lens because I had one in the correct size. (Same as SF G2.)

Buy a couple!

Mark

vic303

Enlightened
Brightness & stuff are about the same as my 6P, but the beam spot wasn't a perfect circle...slightly oblong in my Maxfire. Not enough to be annoying, just noticeable when comparing spots on the wall. I like the clickit tailcap better than the 6P twistie. SEEMS slightly lighter weight, but I haven't weighed it compared to the 6P. Can't beat it for the money. It's my bright nightstand light. My regular getting-about-in-the-house light is either a brunton camp light or a CMG Ultra INfinity.

Donovan

Enlightened
Great light! For $16 its a bargain. Glass lens, textured metal reflector, great tailcap clicky.

You can easly re-center the bulb, just unscrew the top portion and re-center. It will stay in place when tightened.

BTW, the other great thing is replacement bulbs are under $5 shipped direct from Brinkmann! I bought a couple of spares a while back but I am still on my original bulb.

NelsonFlashlites

Enlightened
I have one, too, for a car light. The only thing, interestingly enough, that I don't like about it is that it has a clickie. Oh, well...:shrug: can't please everyone.

George1

Newly Enlightened
Thank you all for the feedback. I just picked one up at Target for $16. Initial impressions: not the build quality of a G2 or the nice beam shape of a SF but a very nice light for the price.

alard

Newly Enlightened
Coincidently, I had wandered into the local Walmart a few days ago, to see what kind of lights they had in stock. Most of the stuff was fairly mundane, but, I picked up a Maxfire on a hunch. It came with Sanyo CR123s for $19.99.
Before I even opened it, I ran a search for reviews on CPF and found that Target was selling the Maxfire for cheaper. Subsequently, I went to Target and found the Maxfire for $16.99. Not only that, but, the Target version came with a holster, Walmarts version came without. The two samples in stock each had different holsters and batteries. #1 had Sanyo cells and a leatherette holster, pretty nice. #2 had Energizer lithiums and a more typical nylon web holster.

There are choices!
Walmart is getting theirs back!

vic303

Enlightened
Yeah, I got a sheath with mine too, but it doesn't fit the Maxfire LX...it looks like it was made to fit a 2AA minimag sized light. Oh well, for the money it was still a good deal.

G1ZM0

Newly Enlightened
I got mine at Bass Pro a while back when they had them on sale for $14.99.

Donovan(or anyone) can you post the information on how to order the replacement bulbs?

Thanks,

AJ_Dual

Enlightened
An excelent car light, IMO.

I have the earlier Legend LX, which is the machined aluminum, with the ablity to focus. It seems chintzy compared to that model, but I like the looks of the Maxfire better than the non-tactical Flash Gordon looks of the metal Legend.

A good value for how well it performs. I wouldn't try to drive any nails with it, but that's not what it's for. :) I actualy like that it's got Surefire like performance, but in a cheap-ish body. That way I'm not afraid to use/abuse it as needed.

Mine came with the vinyl leather-ish sheath. I just stuck the batts in, put it back in the sheath, and stuck it in my car's door pocket, where it sits until needed. I'll eventualy get around to throwing a pair of spare 123's in there and that will be it until needed.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, if you have any spare SF P60 or G&P60 lamp assemblies around, they work beautifully.

Mark

wquiles

Flashaholic
I know I am kind of late to the discussion, and you already bought one, but now that I also have the G2, I would never buy the Maxfire. I really like the G2 that much more (fit, finish, operation, etc.).

Will

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let's see...it's a 16 dollar light that's probably not made in America, and if it uses a P60 it has a really good beam....so 16+20ish is around 36?

ANd Brinkmanns look like they belong on a SF movie set in my experience...

Why not just get a new G2? 34 bucks, LOTC, shorter, a mch better beam with better throw in the center and legendary SF quality?

Am I missing something here?

wquiles

Flashaholic
270winchester,

Thanks for expressing better than I did how I fell - that was perfect!

Since I got the G2, I now have a Maxfire on my shelf that I doubth I will ever use again - maybe time to off-load on the for-sale section? :crackup:

Will

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
270winchester said:
Let's see...it's a 16 dollar light that's probably not made in America, and if it uses a P60 it has a really good beam....so 16+20ish is around 36?

Why not just get a new G2? 34 bucks, LOTC, shorter, a mch better beam with better throw in the center and legendary SF quality?

Yes, I believe you did miss something. I was hardly suggesting making the Brinkmann into a SF, or that they were equivalent in any way.

Simply pointing out in answer to the spare bulb question that these lamp assemblies would work if you had a spare.

Mark

Ledean

Enlightened
To get a brighter light I used the maxfire with two li-ions.
I thought the bulb could stand a bit of overdrive .
I was bright alright,
atleast for the five minutes before the bulb filament burnt.

Donovan

Enlightened
270winchester said:

Yes!

1. It's $16!
2. IMO it has a better tail clicky
3. The beam is good enough unless you spend all day lighting up white walls
4. Output is virtually the same
5. Glass lens vs. plastic on G2
6. Replacement bulbs under $5 shipped vs. ~$20 for G2
7. It's only $16!

No one is saying it's better than a G2 but considering the price it's a great light!

Apollo

Newly Enlightened
I've got one and it's a superb flashlight for the money. The bulb burned out on mine, but I replaced it with one of the 3W drop-in LED modules from Bugout Gear. Works great.