New package of INOVA X5 in Target: have I seen it wrong?!

TimeTraveller

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

Yesterday I went to my local Target to check out the new INOVA 2AA lights, and I found that the X5s are also in this kind of new package. With curiousity, I took an X5 up and test it, and to my bare eyes it looked _brighter_?! @@

I didn't have time to put 2 new Surefire 123's into my old X5 and go to Target to test it, but to me it really looked somewhat brighter. Of course, it will still be smoked by my P6 3W, but it was still a whole lot brighter than what I expected. Anyone could confirm this? If they are really brighter, I hope they would also have new features like regulated output...

Thanks for your input in advance!

Ikonomi

Enlightened
I had the same experience, but I figured it's because the package backing is reflective. Of course, I thought the X5 had always come in that package, so I don't know.

It doesn't seem like they've upgraded the LEDs or anything.

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have know way of knowing for sure, but I suspect Inova may be using the Nichia CS LEDs. They are a large company with lots of influence, and as the CS LEDs aren't hard to get anymore, I don't see why they wouldn't use them. I got the white microlight and that seems brighter as well.

PJ

Enlightened
I bought an X1 from Target a few days ago and compared it to my X1 I've had for over a year. The new X1 seems brighter and has a whiter beam, even after swapping batteries. It wasn't drastically brighter, maybe just the LED lottery. I did compare 4 of them at Target and they all seemed real close in tint and brightness.

Nasty

Newly Enlightened
I looked at all of the Inova this evening and the were all blue...couldn't find any even close to white.

Got the lantern in though and I picked that up. Good timing...lightening took out the lights an hour or so ago. The 4AA lantern did just fine as a general room light, which is what I bought it for along with motorcycle camping.

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast
i e-mailed Inova....

i took the led out of my X1 and it didnt look like the Nichia CS i have...

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
As it's been posted, it's in a bright store with reflective packaging but no I did not think it was nearly as bright as my CS modified eternalight and yes, one of the more worse blue leds.

matthewdanger

Enlightened
I love my X5, I'd love a new one with upgraded LEDs even more.

I'll be watching this thread for that reply from Inova.

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast
inovalight.com said:
Unfortunately we cannot provide you with the information you are requesting
in regard to the LEDs we use.

(about the light chamber being black)
Also, to answer your second question; the light chamber on the inside of the
X1 has no bearing on the output of the LED.

Please don't hesitate to contact me should you need further assistance.
Thank you for your inquiry.

oh well lol

Apollo

Newly Enlightened
Unfortunately, the package doesn't specify whether they're using Nichia CS LEDs, but I compared my 2 year old X5 to a white one at Target and couldn't see any difference. They didn't have any Inova Radiants in stock so I brought home a blue X5 simply because I've never used a blue LED light before.

WhiteLight

Newly Enlightened
I took my target Nova X1 back today, it was very blue.
I picked up a X5 at target today and it's very white. All the X1's looked blue to me and all the X5's looked very white.