DORCY LUXEON 1Watt LED at walmart

scaredofthedark

Enlightened
there is a Dorcy LUXEON 1watt led at walmart for 18bucks!! metal casing, with a belt clip.
this thing blew me away, it was so bright. probably as bright as my 3D mag. and it's so small!!!!
i dunno if you guys think it's all that or not but i think it's awesome for this price. don't needa get a surefire now!
i would post pics but i don't have digi cam. or anything. sorry. but it does look very nice flawless beam! smooth reflector too

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
The lights are called Metal Gear.

dsc008269ce.jpg

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

onthebeam

Enlightened
If you do some searching for "Metal Gear" going back the past two months, you'll see lots of posts and mostly happy buyers. I tried the Metal Gear and also the "Element" from Sam's Club, also made by Dorcy. The Element is even better and brighter. I absolutely love it so I returned the Metal Gear. They look quite a bit different from each other, with the Metal Gear emulating the tactical look. It's a good choice for $18--the Element is only $13 but must be bought in a 2 pack at Sam's! Both take three AAAs.

Last edited:

onthebeam

Enlightened
Oh, one more suggestion. If you stick with the Metal Gear, it's easy to scrape off the white paint that says Metal Gear. Makes the light look much more pro, and it will peel off on its own anyway. . .

scaredofthedark

Enlightened
cool....but it doesn't say metal gear anywhere on the light itself, just says "dorcy". guess i won't needa scrape it off. and how much do 3watt luxeon's cost?? incase i want to switch it out or something

onthebeam

Enlightened
Oh, maybe you're right. Anyway, the white paint in the middle is easy to scrape off and not well applied, even though the light appears to be quite well made.

If you want a 3 watt light, I'd definitely go with the Nuwai Q III. It's $29 at Amondotech.com. A fantastic perennial fave here. Also, lately much enthusiasm here for the Fenix L1P, a single AA light about the same size as the Q III. It's just one watt but is said to put out a respectable 46 lumens. Wattage isn't everything. 4Sevens has huge groupbuy for $38 that has either just closed, or is about to.

If you want to learn about other 3 watt lights, suggest you go to Doug's site here:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews_index/reviews_index_luxeon.htm

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ive yet to find one at target or walmart.

I have the round gun metal grey model. My problem is after a few weeks the batteries go bad without use. I like it for every now and then use, but it seems it is difficult to store batteries in for emergency use.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I had a fear about that with a Streamlight Clipmate Headlamp (3aaa 3LED).

So I put some Lith AAAs in it. It says on the package that they'll replace any device damaged by the batts... so maybe you should give it a go?

MichiganMan

Enlightened
cobb said:
Ive yet to find one at target or walmart.

I have the round gun metal grey model. My problem is after a few weeks the batteries go bad without use. I like it for every now and then use, but it seems it is difficult to store batteries in for emergency use.

Ooh. That would certainly kill its potential as a bug-out-bag special or glove compartment light which is what I was looking at it for (that and I just want to have one and already have more lights than I have excuses for...)

Has anyone else seen this self-discharge in these models?

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had energizerm rayovac and some no name batteries. It seems to go dim after 3 weeks and when I check the batteries, one is dead. It has a mile urine green tint and when the batteris go low, you can see the greenish tint more.

I like it too, the finish, color, light, switch feel, but it just sems to suffer from killing a cell at a time.

Going to buy the nice one, metal gear sold gold you guys keep talking about if I can find it.

I have yet to have a battery die after a period of storage in a device other than my 3 d cell mag light.

CNTSTPDRMN

Newly Enlightened
I agree, the Element is excellent, and so is the similar Dorcy at Target, but the element is a great buy--- I also have the metal gear, I was not thrilled with it... especially after buying the Sam's Club Element!

Schuey2002

Enlightened
onthebeam said:
.."Element" from Sam's Club, also made by Dorcy. The Element is even better and brighter. I absolutely love it so I returned the Metal Gear.
I can't get the pic on Sam's Club's website to enlarge. Does this look like the one you have?
7a_1_b.JPG

onthebeam

Enlightened
The Sam's Element looks quite a bit different. Very attractive light, though. Item: 432898

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 2 different Super Wal-Marts in my area, and none of them carry these flashlights.
In fact, the Wal-Marts around me have a terrible flashlight selection.
I've talked with the manager, and they seem like they are not interested in carrying any good flashlights.

I'd like to try out one of those Metal Gear lights.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just picked one up as well. My nearest Walmart had them in both the gun metal finish, which I opted for, and the black. Overall, I'm pretty happy. Comparing it to the Costco 2AA Lux lights, my Dorcy is greener than the bluer CostCo but less green than my green Costco. Not bad at all as long as it isn't being compared to something whiter. It has a very good feel... seems very solid for the price and the tail clickie is standard Dorcy fare - good click, recessed... no real complaints. Has nice throw. Definately better than the optic of the Costco lights provide and a larger hotspot as well - I'd guess it's maybe 25% - 50% brighter than my brighter Costco light. Of course, I won't like it if it starts killing off cells.

Haven't tried taking it apart yet but I may try replacing the star with something a bit more colorful. Overall, I'd give it two thumbs up. We'll have to wait and see about the self-discharging issue.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
The biggest gripe I have had about the Metal gear Dorcy's is thier choice of batteries.
3 teeny aaa's just don't seem to really cut it for long.
That is why I modded one to hold a much larger and consistent 18650 rechargeable lithium ion for a solid 4 hour runtime near full brightness.

I modded another with a downboy1000 regulator and a TWOH premium binned Luxeon3 to run on anything that will fit in there that can put forth 3.7 - 16 volts.
It does great on 17670's, 18650's, cr123 primaries and rcr123's. :)