Nuwai ALX-352L opinions

rmcnelly

Newly Enlightened
I've read the review at FlashlightReview.com, but would be interested in any personal experiences with this model.

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great light! Built like a tank. You can even use rechargeables with it. Hard to find a 5 watter that can output as much as a 352L. The only negative for me is that there is no momentary option and that it goes from high to low level instead of low to high. Also, instead of dimming when the power gets low, it just shuts off. Then you have to cycle it quickly to a lower setting manually.

Jeff

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
No momentary would be a minus for me too, but the fact that it goes from off to high is something I like. A am starting to get interested in this light :wave:

Xygen

Enlightened
Yeah! I like it too.
Take a look at my comparison to the Gladius here.
(Scroll down)

The ALX-352L is the 5th powerful LED flashlight at flashlightreviews.com by overall output (65). More powerful are the SF L2 (89),the Diamond Mag Fraen (100), the EL Phaser (125) and the EL Tri-Star (140). The last three aren't really fair opponents, I think.

If you need a small, high power light, go for it! It's a bargain.

When the 352L shuts down, the batteries still work for some time in other lights!
The Switch is not the best. To put it on I became accustomed to click three times for the lowest setting. Which is still to bright in some situations. I like the dimmable Gladius here.
My 352L has a greenish tint.

Last edited:

hsjrev

Newly Enlightened
I keep it on my nightstand where I can reach it and my Glock in the dark. The only negatives I can think of are (1) No warning when the battery is about to run out and the light go dark on you, a moon mode or a warning led like the Opalec would be nice. (2) the side switch is too easy to push for my taste and it will almost surely accidentally turn on if you carry it in a pocket. The holster that it comes with is a very stiff tube and solves this problem but it would be nice to be able to just stick the light in a back pocket without the switch turning on. I still like it and think it's a bargain.

meeshu

Enlightened
Top Secret! So secret even I don't know where I am
Faint "hole" in the middle of the beam (donut shape), it's not really noticeable unless you view the beam on a smooth surface.

On each button press, the light cycles from Off to High, then Mid, then Low, then off again.
MY preference is for Off, then Low, then Mid etc, so I'm not entirely happy with this light because of that.

Otherwise, reasonable runtime and well built.

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
rmcnelly said:
Thanks Guys!

I went ahead and ordered a pair from amondotech (package deal).

You won't regret...

I own one and from the minor quirks mentioned in the above post it is still a good deal at the price.

Dave

rmcnelly

Newly Enlightened
The pair of lights arrived today (actually ordered them before I strated this thread), along with some extra batteries.

This is my first Luxeon light, and I'm impressed. This thing has some punch, and a good beam spread. I like having the ability to vary the brightness, and having a solid base cap so it can stand vertically.

I kind of wished it had one of those scalloped front rings that show light if placed lens down. But I have no complaints, especially for the discounted price for buying a pair of them.

Thanks folks for your input! My wife knew I had signs of a flashlight/lamp addiction, but I may be entering a more serious stage :)

GreenMan

Newly Enlightened
I seem to be the only unlucky owner of an ALX-352L. I leave it in the car most of the time and rarely use it. It's really too bright for most use, IMHO.

I bought mine in May '05 and may not have used it for several months. BUT, the switch only gives me a quick flash and won't stay on, at any power.

I'm still waiting for a response from Amondo Tech. Wish me luck.
Green Man

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast
GreenMan said:
I seem to be the only unlucky owner of an ALX-352L. I leave it in the car most of the time and rarely use it. It's really too bright for most use, IMHO.

I bought mine in May '05 and may not have used it for several months. BUT, the switch only gives me a quick flash and won't stay on, at any power.

I'm still waiting for a response from Amondo Tech. Wish me luck.
Green Man
I also have the ALX-352L, and it's a great light...but the switch is it's downfall (self activates)

Because of the light touch power switch, yours probably turned itself on in your car. The case/holster that comes with the light, also can, and will activate the power switch.

When the batteries are too low for the curcuit, the light will only blink once, when you try and turn it on. Your light is probably in perfect shape, just in need of new cells.

I hope this helps,

TB

Last edited:

bullinchinashop

Enlightened
Has anyone tried it with those 3.6 RCR 123A's? That would be a lot better than buying primaries all the time - even at Battery Station's prices that could get expensive after a while if yo use it lot.

mitchfried

Newly Enlightened
Same problem with mine. If you put pressure on the holster, the switch will activate. Went to reach for mine in my car where I stuffed it in the map pocket a few minutes earlier and it was hot. It now sits on my nightstand, ready to blind uninvited guests. Otherwise, a great light.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I tried it. My idea was, to use the mid and low level when the RCR's will come out of the charger (to safe the Led).
BUT, the low level don't work. I don't know why. Perhaps the light is in direct-drive, so it's a risk for the Led. But why will work the mid-level?
In high and in mid the light is much brighter than with primaries. But I have no good feelings to use the RCR's with this light.

Best regards

____
Tom

bullinchinashop

Enlightened
Long John said:
Yes, I tried it. My idea was, to use the mid and low level when the RCR's will come out of the charger (to safe the Led).
BUT, the low level don't work. I don't know why. Perhaps the light is in direct-drive, so it's a risk for the Led. But why will work the mid-level?
In high and in mid the light is much brighter than with primaries. But I have no good feelings to use the RCR's with this light.

Best regards

____
Tom

Thanks
Maybe I'll try those 3.0 volt RCR-123A's I've seen on a few sites
(http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1641&HS=1)
I'd lose some brightness and runtime though... Or maybe just bite the bullet & buy about 30 primaries when I get it.