Over illumination & unnescecary exposure.

jashhash

Enlightened
Three weeks ago I came home from college to find a package lying on the table at home... Immediately I knew what it was but little time would pass untill I ripped off the dull cardboard wrapping to reveal a shiny new Nuwai Q3. Immediately I began to play with it, gleefully overilluminating every situation. A midnight walk to the fridge which is situated but a few feet away from my room. Then on a pizza delivery I find myself whipin out the Q3 to illuminate house numbers... which... are... already readable.
Furthermore I constantly seek dark and forboding situations whereby I can banish it's gloom with my tool of illumination. 2 weeks ago I crawled down into a 4ft wide concrete storm drain just to see what was inside... I have to admit the storm drain was kinda cool but it all comes down to this. Im obsessed with over exposing dimly lit places with my Q3 just because I thoroughly enjoy over illumination.
Am I
Crazy?

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
I went to the basement to get some food in the middle of the night, which has perfectly good electricity. I was using a Mag 3d with a 100w Osram 64623 overdriven to 17 volts. Along the way I had a PD, a U60, a6p+Kl3 in various pockets. I'm still seeing spots....

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Over-illumination: Reading a book in bed with your Mag85 strapped to your head.

Over-illumination: Checking pupil dilation with 15MCP Thor.

Over-illumination: Using a USL to illuminate where you want the offender to sign the speeding ticket at.

Over-illumination: Checking your dog's ears for ticks with a USL (and your dog is a pitbull).

Jeff

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fetching beer from the fridge with 1150 bulb lumens of power on the ROP :D

You see, when you execute your ninja-style tactical door opening moves, you must blast the light inside the fridge with the ultra-tactical sideswitch in order to totally stun the beer. Blinded by the intense blast, the beer will sit completely still on the shelf and allow you to secure it without any further confrontation! :crackup:

Finding the proverbial keyhole in the door when returning home late at night with a 100W Osram 64625 (3000+ lumens) driven at true 12V with no voltage sag on an SLA inside a spotlight. Normally the humble 5mm keychain light is called upon for this task, but one night I was bringing the spot home from a local CPF event.

.. the house looks brighter than it does during the DAY..

270winchester: sick.. just sick ;) pray tell the details of your mod..

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey kevin:

Imagine a "mag" that only uses the stock 3D mag body tube and tail cap(no spring), a 12 cell CBP1650 pack with RC car connectors and a 15 amp rated rocker switch and 3 inch Fivemega head, fresh off the charger running 17.3 volts and 8-9 amps of resistance free juice to a 64623...I never saw anything so white in my life....It would make the Klans' costume look like sickly yellow...

I think Wilkey estimated the output in the first minute or so at about 5-6000 at the bulb, and at midpack is about 3600 lumens...

Last edited:

pradeep1

Enlightened
Yeah, I see myself doing the same stupid things. Purposefully not turning on the lights in certain areas so I can use the flashlight. :stupid:

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
270winchester said:
Hey kevin:

Imagine a "mag" that only uses the stock 3D mag body tube and tail cap(no spring), a 12 cell CBP1650 pack with RC car connectors and a 15 amp rated rocker switch and 3 inch Fivemega head, fresh off the charger running 17.3 volts and 8-9 amps of resistance free juice to a 64623...I never saw anything so white in my life....It would make the Klans' costume look like sickly yellow...

I think Wilkey estimated the output in the first minute or so at about 5-6000 at the bulb, and at midpack is about 3600 lumens...

:faint: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Very similar to the USL concept, but you take it to a new height with the 3" head and bigger cells.. amazing stuff!! I think I can imagine how you did it. If I wasn't already on the USL list I'd be all over this! As it is, I'll leave it to js/bwaites superior craftsmanship and incan wisdom.

Did you bore the Mag? I also assume that you left enough slack wire from the switch to the battery pack connector, so you can connect the pack then slide everything (including excess wire) into the body?

My spot is a $24.95 special at the local supermarket, huge 11" reflector, and a 7AH 12V SLA that I pulled out of a computer UPS. Runs 3000+ bulb lumens on a true 12V - SLAs exhibit very, VERY little sag. I had a way to tap the battery and measure voltage while the light was lit.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Kevin:

the body is indeed bored thanks to Modamag, the socket is a bulbman's unit with enough wire to pass throught hte space between the pack and the body. The inefficiency of the square shape actually comes in handy for once....

My light is no where nearly as elegant as the USL, those folks took it to a new level, mine is merely a cheap imitation, since at the time of the USL I was too poor to afford it(I know, buying PD and the U60 came later), but since I use dedicated bulb, I'm not afraid to over drive the heck out of it.

those SLA sound yummy...Have you tried the 62138's for a better beam? The voltage of 12v should be perfect to drive the axial bulb for long service life.

Back on topic, yeah I over light my surroundings, and there is nothing wrong with that....Heck, in a perfect world we would all be using megarays to look for that lost screw on the kitchen floor... ;)

Let me tell ya, them mags make great sleeper lights....

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always light up places that dont need to be... in fact, I hardly use the electricity in my home at night. Its called obsession, we'll get over it..... eventually.... ok, ok, never.

-David

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I can relate to "overilluminating" things with the Q-III. I had the same reaction when I first got it.... ah, um, ok I STILL have that reaction!
:laughing:

Latest posts