FoxUV LED mod tips?

benh

Newly Enlightened
Looks like I'll be getting into doing my first flashlight mod with some of those FoxUV 360nm LEDs from Chimo's group buy.

I'm trying to get a sense for what my working parameters will be. I suspect that much if what I'm asking is contained in a FAQ, and applicable to any LED mod, but I've been having trouble searching the archives. Feel free to beat me about the head with FAQ pointers.

I've read that those LEDs will work basically anywhere a 5mm white LED is currently being used. The spec for those LEDs says that they'll take a voltage from 3.6 to a max of 4.5. So, I'm assuming that 2 1.5v cells won't be enough, given that voltage under load will be less than 3, and even perfect world flat 3v isn't 3.6. So I suppose I'm looking at either a direct drive 3x1.5v cell light, or a resistor to limit higher voltage/current to an appropriate level, or a driver board that will regulate output voltage at 4v or so.

I've been reading through the mini EE course posting, so that's helped a bit.

I guess I'm looking for any tips or general rules of thumb for playing with these (or other) LEDs as well as some recommendations for decent host lights for a first mod. My first attempt will probably be just to swap the LED in a keychain squeeze light (chances of success: 100%) and then get more complicated from there.

I've got a Pelican L1 light I could use, a CMG Infinity, some AA MiniMags, and an Inova X5-T. Not at all averse to buying another light that'll be easy to mod either.

Latest posts